Audio transformer brand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I believe that this component is a transformer (see picture). It is just before the SPDIF output connector of a CD player. Does any one know it's brand ? I would like to look for the data sheet. I tried Lundahl and Jensen but didn't find.

Thanks for any info,
Vince

Attachments

• Output Transfo_R.jpg
    Output Transfo_R.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 147
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Of course it's a pulse transformer, I did'nt use the correct wording. I browsed the web looking for the logo but did'nt find yet, I also browsed pulse transformers section of electronics suppliers (Mouser, Digikey) but no success.
Is there an easy way to know if the transformer is symmetrical? By measuring windings resistance for instance?

It is unlikely to be a unique part, so even if you break it I'm sure you could find something to replace it with. Maybe even wind your own. It is probably a step-down transformer, as SPDIF signal voltage levels on the cable will be lower than typical logic levels in the electronics.

If it is a CD player often found in Europe (and it is sufficiently old) then you could try asking here. There are a few people there who regularly get old CD players working again.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
From what looks like a datecode it might be 15 years old, so it might be difficult to find a same replacement, if that is what you want.
But, as DF96 mentioned, these are rather mundane pulse transformers.
One possible source is on the data sheet for, for instance, a sample rate converter, which often have app circuits that list the app engineers' fave S/PDIF transformer.

Edit: Google 602A pulse transformer gives the attached.....

jan

Attachments

• 602A.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
You can see the CD player pictures here

I inserted the link but if it does work please go to the post "I don't want to bin this CD player". It's an old CD player (1995 If my memory is good) made by a French brand Cairn (does not exist anymore). In a picture you can see the transformer behind an RCA.
I hacked the dac successfully thanks to the help of 2 DIY members (they put me on the way). My idea is to take this pulse transformer which is nore more in use and put it at the input of the CS8412 to see if it would improve the sound.

Thanks for your info I will report back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.