DSP Xover project (part 2) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb DSP Xover project (part 2)

Good day all,

Some time ago I had started a thread about making a project with existing boards I had from a previous project. Well, after investigating several directions the project could follow, based on feedback from this forum and from other mates, I realized I needed to design a new board specifically tailored for the task.

This time the project is really on track and I'm happy to start this new thread with a picture of the recently born little baby. More info will follow shortly.

Cheers

chaparK

board1.jpg
Old 30th June 2012, 02:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

yes i remember this.

didn't it use a Motorola/Free Scale DSP ?
Old 1st July 2012, 12:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed, the previous board had a DSP56321. This one has a dual-core DSP56725
Old 1st July 2012, 02:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
Yes indeed, the previous board had a DSP56321. This one has a dual-core DSP56725
any reason for sticking with a 24 bit DSP when 32 bit DSP's are typical these days ?
Old 1st July 2012, 03:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The number of bits is not really relevant. It's all about properly scaling the signal through the processing flow and you can anytime switch to double precision mode in case of need.
24-bit is plenty for audio signals: you wouldn't be able to *measure* the difference between properly processed 24-bit and 32-bit audio - left alone hearing any difference.
Old 1st July 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The number of bits is not really relevant. It's all about properly scaling the signal through the processing flow and you can anytime switch to double precision mode in case of need.
24-bit is plenty for audio signals: you wouldn't be able to *measure* the difference between properly processed 24-bit and 32-bit audio - left alone hearing any difference.
what is the sample rate and number of channels ?
Old 1st July 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

This time the project is really on track and I'm happy to start this new thread with a picture of the recently born little baby. More info will follow shortly.

Attachment 289590
Look's good,

Could share some insight details, number of channels, sampling rate, ADC - DAC type and so on please ?

Best from France
JC
Old 1st July 2012, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for your interest.

I can't go too much into the details right now, but I can say that 48kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by the DSP and that sampling frequency is user selectable while configuring the board.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I can't go too much into the details right now, but I can say that 48kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by the DSP and that sampling frequency is user selectable while configuring the board.
Well, so I think that I just have to wait then until you reveal some more details
Old 8th July 2012, 02:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

So I can reveal now that the board has following IOs:

- Stereo analogue input
- Stereo digital input
- 8 analogue outputs with analogue volume control
- 10 digital outputs (8 of them carry the signal of the analogue outs before DA conversion)
- 2 I2S expansion ports

The board also features headers for keypad with 8 push-buttons, LCD, status leds and IR sensor as well as a USB connector for the control application. Peripheral management is performed by a micro-controller so that the DSP stays fully available for DSP routines.

Hide this!Advertise here!