diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   DSP Xover project (part 2) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/215379-dsp-xover-project-part-2-a.html)

chaparK 30th June 2012 01:21 AM

DSP Xover project (part 2)

1 Attachment(s)
Good day all,

Some time ago I had started a thread about making a project with existing boards I had from a previous project. Well, after investigating several directions the project could follow, based on feedback from this forum and from other mates, I realized I needed to design a new board specifically tailored for the task.

This time the project is really on track and I'm happy to start this new thread with a picture of the recently born little baby. More info will follow shortly.

Cheers

chaparK

Attachment 289590

Trevor White 30th June 2012 01:39 AM

yes i remember this.

didn't it use a Motorola/Free Scale DSP ?

chaparK 30th June 2012 11:55 PM

Yes indeed, the previous board had a DSP56321. This one has a dual-core DSP56725 ;)

Trevor White 1st July 2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaparK (Post 3077667)
Yes indeed, the previous board had a DSP56321. This one has a dual-core DSP56725 ;)

any reason for sticking with a 24 bit DSP when 32 bit DSP's are typical these days ?

chaparK 1st July 2012 02:10 AM

The number of bits is not really relevant. It's all about properly scaling the signal through the processing flow and you can anytime switch to double precision mode in case of need.
24-bit is plenty for audio signals: you wouldn't be able to *measure* the difference between properly processed 24-bit and 32-bit audio - left alone hearing any difference.

Trevor White 1st July 2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaparK (Post 3077774)
The number of bits is not really relevant. It's all about properly scaling the signal through the processing flow and you can anytime switch to double precision mode in case of need.
24-bit is plenty for audio signals: you wouldn't be able to *measure* the difference between properly processed 24-bit and 32-bit audio - left alone hearing any difference.

what is the sample rate and number of channels ?

jcga 1st July 2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaparK (Post 3076825)

This time the project is really on track and I'm happy to start this new thread with a picture of the recently born little baby. More info will follow shortly.

Attachment 289590

Look's good,

Could share some insight details, number of channels, sampling rate, ADC - DAC type and so on please ?

Best from France
JC

chaparK 1st July 2012 12:37 PM

Thanks guys for your interest.

I can't go too much into the details right now, but I can say that 48kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by the DSP and that sampling frequency is user selectable while configuring the board.

jcga 1st July 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaparK (Post 3078059)

I can't go too much into the details right now, but I can say that 48kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by the DSP and that sampling frequency is user selectable while configuring the board.

Well, so I think that I just have to wait then :( until you reveal some more details

chaparK 8th July 2012 01:35 AM

So I can reveal now that the board has following IOs:

- Stereo analogue input
- Stereo digital input
- 8 analogue outputs with analogue volume control
- 10 digital outputs (8 of them carry the signal of the analogue outs before DA conversion)
- 2 I2S expansion ports

The board also features headers for keypad with 8 push-buttons, LCD, status leds and IR sensor as well as a USB connector for the control application. Peripheral management is performed by a micro-controller so that the DSP stays fully available for DSP routines.