DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hi Chapark,

I'd like to make a reservation for one board with the CS3318, thanks,

Jean-Claude Gaertner (France)

OK thanks I'll keep one for you but I think that at this stage there's no need to make a reservation. I'll post detailed pictures and specifications and I'll make the software available before anyone makes an order. Still, thanks for your trust! :)

About pricing. Are You shipping from Australia? Wouldn't there be shipping costs also?
As for me living in EU (Sweden) The actual price would be USD 363 + shipping + import duty (17%?) and Swedish VAT (25%).
My estimation USD 550 or SEK 3800?

//BR, Anders

No the company is based in Luxembourg, European Union.
For you, the price would be:
USD 315 for the board with CS3318
+ USD 47.25 (15% VAT in Luxembourg)
+ Shipping costs (about USD 15 including insurance, to be confirmed).

No Swedish VAT, no import duty. That's USD 377.25 including shipping. At the current exchange rate that's about EUR 290 (sorry I know you're having the Krona in Sweden).

That's cool Anders, thanks for your kind support!

As we're talking about costs:
- If the board is sent outside of European Union, I don't collect VAT - but you might have to pay your local taxes.
- I don't collect VAT neither in European Union if you have a valid VAT number (i.e. if you have a company registered in the EU).
- For all destinations in EU otherwise, I must collect 15% of VAT that I'll have to give back to our taxation office in Luxembourg. You won't have to pay any local VAT, and there's no import duty in any country in EU.

Hi Nick:

Can you show some datasheet or a summary of features?

Thanks.

Alberto.

Hi Alberto,

Dahlberg has pointed to datasheets of some of the chips used on the board.

If you're after a datasheet of the board itself, I don't have anything like this at that point.

I summarize below some of the features:

- Stereo analogue input
- Stereo digital input (coax and optical)
- 8 analogue outputs with optional analogue volume control
- 10 transformer-isolated digital outputs (8 of them carry the signal of the analogue outs before DA conversion)
- 2 I2S expansion ports
- isolated command for external relay
- 48kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by DSP

The DSP is a dual-core 500 MMACS with plenty of RAM memory for long delays.
The board can store several presets, and setup is carried out with a cross-platform computer application via USB.

In order to implement the board, the user must supply:
- A standard 2x16 LCD display
- 8 push-buttons
- A IR sensor
- 7 leds
- power supply 5V and +/- 12V

I suppose more details lie within the pages of this long thread. I'll come up soon with a proper datasheet.

Nick

Great project charparK:)

I have got around to DSP now and am very interested.
I have yet to read all the pages but looking at the spec / pricing above and the earlier pages it looks very good.

I have a 5 way set up so really need 10 analogue outputs to the amps. The input side of things is fine.
Is there a way to chain 2 of these together outputting a volume controlled channel so that could be used for Tapped horn sub duty? I suppose it could even be analogue out as I could use one of the miniDSP cheapies on that but I'd rather not.

Hi,
I would like to change to the analog volume version. I need some more voltage output :)

Paal

No worries at all, thanks for the feedback!

Great project charparK:)

I have got around to DSP now and am very interested.
I have yet to read all the pages but looking at the spec / pricing above and the earlier pages it looks very good.

I have a 5 way set up so really need 10 analogue outputs to the amps. The input side of things is fine.
Is there a way to chain 2 of these together outputting a volume controlled channel so that could be used for Tapped horn sub duty? I suppose it could even be analogue out as I could use one of the miniDSP cheapies on that but I'd rather not.

Hi Steve, thanks for your interest.

The board has indeed 10 internal processing channels and only 8 of them are available on analogue outputs. I already had a question from a member here needing more analogue outputs.

Daisy chaining 2 complete boards is something doable, but that's probably not be the most elegant nor cheapest way to get a few extra analogue outs.

A better way might be to look at one expansion port and think of a companion board which could easily add up to 6 more analogue outs to the system. How does that sound?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the info
Yes, daisying two would be a really last resort!

Yep - I was reading about 10 channels and thought bingo but the spec offered 8 analogue - so that explains it.

companion board sounds very doable, but I am not really electronic DIY competent to build or source a suitable a board from scratch. Is that something you could offer or give guidance on?

BTW my 5 way looks like this

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...pped-bass-mids-tweeter-big-boy-system-11.html

It receives great comments from visitors 7 was at the run what you brung Scalford show which was fun.

I am playing with Tractrix horns now and different drivers too, so DSP, ohm proof crossovers would be a boon!
I'll have to add some more pics of the the new horns and tweaks.

back to DSP.
Are your boards up and running and available now? How to order, Is there a good userguide and assembly guide to add the display switches etc. etc. - so many questions:) Sorry for that.

I can build stuff but not electronics from nuts and bolts up.

Hi Steve, thanks for your interest.

The board has indeed 10 internal processing channels and only 8 of them are available on analogue outputs. I already had a question from a member here needing more analogue outputs.

Daisy chaining 2 complete boards is something doable, but that's probably not be the most elegant nor cheapest way to get a few extra analogue outs.

A better way might be to look at one expansion port and think of a companion board which could easily add up to 6 more analogue outs to the system. How does that sound?

Cheers

Nick

... I already had a question from a member here needing more analogue outputs.

Cheers

Nick
Yeach, that other member was me. Still following this thread with great interests. A companion board with 6 additional out would be fantastic! If this board also uses the CS3318, please consider including its 2 other channels in your software control routine (could be used for example to lower the input sensitivity of an analog input...)

Cool - I'm not alone then:)

Yeach, that other member was me. Still following this thread with great interests. A companion board with 6 additional out would be fantastic! If this board also uses the CS3318, please consider including its 2 other channels in your software control routine (could be used for example to lower the input sensitivity of an analog input...)

Will this board be available at around the same price in the long term or is this a special offer just this once??

There's no reason the price should change provided the chips and manufacturing costs remain stable as well.

Will there be a PEQ?
Have you any idea ,if used only digital,will it outperform the nanoDIGI
Soundwise?
nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP

Of course there will be plenty of PEQ!

Now regarding the miniDSP, I really don't know: I don't own any of their products.

How about an expansion board *without* analogue volume control? You could reserve the 6 extra channels for duties that are less sensitive.
The benefit is that it would cut down the costs - but still allowing extra analogue outputs (with digital volume).

companion board sounds very doable, but I am not really electronic DIY competent to build or source a suitable a board from scratch. Is that something you could offer or give guidance on?

Well I suppose I would design that board, given that it would require a bit of firmware as well (DACs setup and volume control at least).

Speedysteve7 said:
BTW my 5 way looks like this

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...pped-bass-mids-tweeter-big-boy-system-11.html

It receives great comments from visitors 7 was at the run what you brung Scalford show which was fun.

I am playing with Tractrix horns now and different drivers too, so DSP, ohm proof crossovers would be a boon!
I'll have to add some more pics of the the new horns and tweaks.

I checked your system mate :D Looks damn good and, ehm, truly impressive ;)

Speedysteve7 said:
back to DSP.
Are your boards up and running and available now? How to order, Is there a good userguide and assembly guide to add the display switches etc. etc. - so many questions:) Sorry for that.

I can build stuff but not electronics from nuts and bolts up.

There will be clear instructions. Basically it's just about proper wiring of a few things, the most sensitive part being the power supply (i.e. not swapping wires as this can potentially damage components on the board).

The boards are not available yet. They will be pretty soon!

And an other question:Am I right when I say that if I go all digital I can´t control the volume?

Yes there's no volume control on the digital outs. I understand that you would like to plug in your DACs and keep the benefit of volume control - but scaling down data on a digital line is not something I'd like to do.

We already mentioned somewhere in this thread that I could make available volume control of external DACs via SPI or I2S or GPO. That can be of interest for you only if your DACs accept some sort of volume control.

How about an expansion board *without* analogue volume control? You could reserve the 6 extra channels for duties that are less sensitive.
The benefit is that it would cut down the costs - but still allowing extra analogue outputs (with digital volume).

If that makes a big price difference, that certainly an option for me. I see these channels mainly as multi-sub approach, were that last extra bit of resolution is completely unnecessary.