DSP Xover project (part 2) - Page 76 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 12:09 PM   #751
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalj View Post
That was an interresting lesson. Even if most of it went over my head, I think I got the basic picture.
Yes these are great DSP classes!! The professor talking there is Oppenheim himself. He co-authored with Schafer what became the Number 1 textbook on digital signal processing during many years. It's dating a bit now, but it's still absolutely relevant. There are other videos that I recommend watching if you're interested in DSP.

Coming back to your question, let's take a simple example of an analogue low-pass LR4 cutting at 10 kHz.
At 10 kHz, the filter is attenuating the input signal by 6 dB. You're OK with this, right?

Let's agree that the slope of the filter is 24 dB/oct straight after the corner frequency (it's not exactly the case, but it doesn't matter here).
This would mean that at 20 kHz, your analogue filter is attenuating the signal by 6+24 = 30 dB.
At 40 kHz, attenuation equals 6+24+24 = 54 dB.
At 80 kHz, attenuation equals 6+24+24+24 = 78 dB.
Etc.

You notice that the theoretical analogue model is not limited in frequency.

When you translate an analogue filter for the digital domain, sampling comes in with the problem that the system is limited in frequency. If you sample say at 48 kHz, then any frequency above Nyquist = 48 kHz/2 has no meaning.
With a system sampling at 48 kHz, we can't specify an attenuation by 54 dB at 40 kHz - it's just impossible.

This gives you an intuitive hint that digital realization of analogue filters are only approximations of the theoretical analogue model.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:52 PM   #752
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

The new release is available for download at the usual place.

It includes a FW update as well, so this will reset your board to the factory settings. Make sure not to pull off the USB cable or the power chord while the new FW is being transferred
Old 29th March 2013, 04:41 PM   #753
paalj is offline paalj  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
Yes these are great DSP classes!! The professor talking there is Oppenheim himself. He co-authored with Schafer what became the Number 1 textbook on digital signal processing during many years. It's dating a bit now, but it's still absolutely relevant. There are other videos that I recommend watching if you're interested in DSP.

Coming back to your question, let's take a simple example of an analogue low-pass LR4 cutting at 10 kHz.
At 10 kHz, the filter is attenuating the input signal by 6 dB. You're OK with this, right?

Let's agree that the slope of the filter is 24 dB/oct straight after the corner frequency (it's not exactly the case, but it doesn't matter here).
This would mean that at 20 kHz, your analogue filter is attenuating the signal by 6+24 = 30 dB.
At 40 kHz, attenuation equals 6+24+24 = 54 dB.
At 80 kHz, attenuation equals 6+24+24+24 = 78 dB.
Etc.

You notice that the theoretical analogue model is not limited in frequency.

When you translate an analogue filter for the digital domain, sampling comes in with the problem that the system is limited in frequency. If you sample say at 48 kHz, then any frequency above Nyquist = 48 kHz/2 has no meaning.
With a system sampling at 48 kHz, we can't specify an attenuation by 54 dB at 40 kHz - it's just impossible.

This gives you an intuitive hint that digital realization of analogue filters are only approximations of the theoretical analogue model.
Hi Nick,
Thanks,
So basically changing my samplerate to 96kHz solved my problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
The new release is available for download at the usual place.

It includes a FW update as well, so this will reset your board to the factory settings. Make sure not to pull off the USB cable or the power chord while the new FW is being transferred
Great!
The update went well. Can you tell a bit about the flexibility of the FIR taps?

best,
Paal
Old 29th March 2013, 05:28 PM   #754
diyAudio Member

Yep - Update went like clockwork.
Problem of no sound on about half of Setup swaps and connects / disconnects fixed.

Now I can evaluate different setups much more easily.

I'd better get another LED.

Nice one

Last edited by Speedysteve7; 29th March 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #755
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Default Sample rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalj View Post
So basically changing my samplerate to 96kHz solved my problems
It's getting more and more appealing

Just for my understanding, doesnt the max samplerate 192kHz give the best sound quality ? Is there a reason to stay on 96 kHz (save processor resources or whatsoever)?

BR
Jean-Louis
Old 29th March 2013, 06:49 PM   #756
paalj is offline paalj  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post

Just for my understanding, doesnt the max samplerate 192kHz give the best sound quality ? Is there a reason to stay on 96 kHz (save processor resources or whatsoever)?

BR
Jean-Louis
Hi Jean-Louis,
My processor load is 49 and 52% so I guess it will be overload?
I will try later

best,
Paal
Old 29th March 2013, 07:09 PM   #757
diyAudio Member

Anyone here who has the Najda care to review it on the following thread, please ?
WAF Audio Najda reviews

Thanks a lot
Old 29th March 2013, 07:39 PM   #758
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post

BR
Jean-Louis
I preferred the sound / presentation of 96KHz. I did those tests before I applied my crossovers and some correction.
192 sounded glassy and artificial. 48 sounded rather lowfi. 96 was sweet and pretty much transparent comparing A/B to my passives.
Slightly different presentation but pleasing.

I am at 52% and 47% load currently.

Last edited by Speedysteve7; 29th March 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 07:47 PM   #759
diyAudio Member

What filters are available on the Najda ? I can't find a manual anywhere and the site has virtually no information whatsoever.

Thx
Old 29th March 2013, 10:55 PM   #760
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post
What filters are available on the Najda ? I can't find a manual anywhere and the site has virtually no information whatsoever.
Virtually any filter. You can find some info here WAF - Wroclaw Audio Force and in the rest of this thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!