DSP Xover project (part 2) - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2012, 02:49 PM   #311
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fishball79
Hi Chapark,

Will this board be available at around the same price in the long term or is this a special offer just this once??
Old 30th October 2012, 04:34 PM   #312
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Will there be a PEQ?
Have you any idea ,if used only digital,will it outperform the nanoDIGI
Soundwise?
nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP
Old 30th October 2012, 08:49 PM   #313
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
No worries at all, thanks for the feedback!
... I already had a question from a member here needing more analogue outputs.

Daisy chaining 2 complete boards is something doable, but that's probably not be the most elegant nor cheapest way to get a few extra analogue outs.

A better way might be to look at one expansion port and think of a companion board which could easily add up to 6 more analogue outs to the system. How does that sound?

Cheers

Nick
Yeach, that other member was me. Still following this thread with great interests. A companion board with 6 additional out would be fantastic! If this board also uses the CS3318, please consider including its 2 other channels in your software control routine (could be used for example to lower the input sensitivity of an analog input...)
Old 31st October 2012, 08:50 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Cool - I'm not alone then

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wim_ View Post
Yeach, that other member was me. Still following this thread with great interests. A companion board with 6 additional out would be fantastic! If this board also uses the CS3318, please consider including its 2 other channels in your software control routine (could be used for example to lower the input sensitivity of an analog input...)
Old 31st October 2012, 12:50 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

And an other question:Am I right when I say that if I go all digital I can´t control the volume?
Old 31st October 2012, 02:15 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
And an other question:Am I right when I say that if I go all digital I can´t control the volume?
Yes. that's right.
Old 31st October 2012, 03:39 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

Hmm,to bad.
Old 31st October 2012, 03:52 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

Maybe you can use the opamp sockets to get the signal back in to be able to
use the analog volume control. Not sure how good that idea is either.

If I'm not mistaken there is a possibility to use the digital volumecontrol in
the dsp but I may remember that wrong.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:17 PM   #319
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishball79 View Post
Will this board be available at around the same price in the long term or is this a special offer just this once??
There's no reason the price should change provided the chips and manufacturing costs remain stable as well.

Quote:
Will there be a PEQ?
Have you any idea ,if used only digital,will it outperform the nanoDIGI
Soundwise?
nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP
Of course there will be plenty of PEQ!

Now regarding the miniDSP, I really don't know: I don't own any of their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wim_ View Post
How about an expansion board *without* analogue volume control? You could reserve the 6 extra channels for duties that are less sensitive.
The benefit is that it would cut down the costs - but still allowing extra analogue outputs (with digital volume).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7 View Post
companion board sounds very doable, but I am not really electronic DIY competent to build or source a suitable a board from scratch. Is that something you could offer or give guidance on?
Well I suppose I would design that board, given that it would require a bit of firmware as well (DACs setup and volume control at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7
BTW my 5 way looks like this

5 way project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter, big boy system

It receives great comments from visitors 7 was at the run what you brung Scalford show which was fun.

I am playing with Tractrix horns now and different drivers too, so DSP, ohm proof crossovers would be a boon!
I'll have to add some more pics of the the new horns and tweaks.
I checked your system mate Looks damn good and, ehm, truly impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7
back to DSP.
Are your boards up and running and available now? How to order, Is there a good userguide and assembly guide to add the display switches etc. etc. - so many questions Sorry for that.

I can build stuff but not electronics from nuts and bolts up.
There will be clear instructions. Basically it's just about proper wiring of a few things, the most sensitive part being the power supply (i.e. not swapping wires as this can potentially damage components on the board).

The boards are not available yet. They will be pretty soon!

Quote:
Yes there's no volume control on the digital outs. I understand that you would like to plug in your DACs and keep the benefit of volume control - but scaling down data on a digital line is not something I'd like to do.

We already mentioned somewhere in this thread that I could make available volume control of external DACs via SPI or I2S or GPO. That can be of interest for you only if your DACs accept some sort of volume control.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:43 PM   #320
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
How about an expansion board *without* analogue volume control? You could reserve the 6 extra channels for duties that are less sensitive.
The benefit is that it would cut down the costs - but still allowing extra analogue outputs (with digital volume).
If that makes a big price difference, that certainly an option for me. I see these channels mainly as multi-sub approach, were that last extra bit of resolution is completely unnecessary.

Hide this!Advertise here!