DSP Xover project (part 2) - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 11:28 AM   #211
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member
 
jtwrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
Thanks all for your feedback!
I read again your post and I saw the light this time

Now that I understood your question, yes I can confirm you're right: the board will perform nicely without the volume chip. The fact you're managing the signals to your loudspeakers elsewhere means that you have another way to control the master volume - so indeed you wouldn't need the expensive CS3318. Again, if you feel later the need of that chip because you've changed your system for example, you can just solder it on the board and it's automatically taken care of.

OK. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for clarification.
__________________
"Science is not a democracy"- Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 01:10 PM   #212
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Just to confirm,

even if the analogue gain chips are fitted the board can still be used as digital only?

ie.
digital inputs -> dsp -> digital gain -> digital out
Wow I didn't understand that one neither yesterday

Yes sure, even with the analogue chip fitted you can use the board digital only. The analogue volume chip doesn't affect anything happening on the digital signal path. Sorry about the confusion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 02:35 PM   #213
mvaldes is offline mvaldes  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Near Venice
Chapark, since the CS3318 will be controlled through the I2C bus, could be possible to control the volume of some external DAC like BuffaloII/III?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 02:43 PM   #214
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
Chapark, since the CS3318 will be controlled through the I2C bus, could be possible to control the volume of some external DAC like BuffaloII/III?
CS3318 is actually controlled through SPI.
Both SPI and I2C are however available on the expansion ports.
At this stage there's no volume control for an external device, the main reason being that there's no standard for this: each chip has different addresses for the registers that hold the volume values, and these values are interpreted differently.
In a later release however if there's such a request, we can look at it and see how we can make it possible for a specific chip. Stay tuned
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 02:55 PM   #215
mvaldes is offline mvaldes  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Near Venice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
CS3318 is actually controlled through SPI.
Both SPI and I2C are however available on the expansion ports.
At this stage there's no volume control for an external device, the main reason being that there's no standard for this: each chip has different addresses for the registers that hold the volume values, and these values are interpreted differently.
In a later release however if there's such a request, we can look at it and see how we can make it possible for a specific chip. Stay tuned
when you say a later release you are talking about HW or SW?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 02:58 PM   #216
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
when you say a later release you are talking about HW or SW?
Software/Firmware release
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 03:23 PM   #217
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sweden
I'm considering to go the same way as "qusp" with the "Ackodac's" but
maybe not for all channels so this is getting better and better (if it will work)

Will it be possible to adress 4 output-channels to I2S and the remaining 4
to the analog output section. Or is there signal sent both ways for all channels
at all times?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 03:24 PM   #218
mvaldes is offline mvaldes  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Near Venice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparK View Post
Software/Firmware release
ok, very good. thank you
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 03:34 PM   #219
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlberg View Post
I'm considering to go the same way as "qusp" with the "Ackodac's" but
maybe not for all channels so this is getting better and better (if it will work)

Will it be possible to adress 4 output-channels to I2S and the remaining 4
to the analog output section. Or is there signal sent both ways for all channels
at all times?
Here's a summary of what's available in terms of outputs.
Inside the DSP, there are 10 output channels internally.
- All channels 1 to 10 are on SPDIF outputs.
- Channels 1 to 8 are available also on analogue outs.
- There are 2 expansion ports with I2S. They are different but for now it's enough to know that one port can carry up to 6 channels, and the second port can carry up to 12 channels. You can assign to the I2S lines any channel 1 -> 10.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 05:44 AM   #220
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sweden
Great Are the 9th and 10th channels supposed to be for unprocessed output ? Maybe for a headphone amp
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSP Xover project chaparK Digital Line Level 141 3rd July 2011 10:16 AM
Help Please for simple active Xover project dcathro Analog Line Level 4 9th September 2010 05:47 AM
Violet DSP Evolution - an Open Baffle Project cuibono Multi-Way 211 18th May 2010 02:26 AM
Software digital DSP ... Xover/filters/EQ ?? JinMTVT Digital Source 2 8th October 2004 06:02 AM
DSP card & proper xover for heathkit 859A speaker cabinet x. onasis Multi-Way 6 22nd April 2003 07:39 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2