DSP Xover project (part 2)

The Swedish team in action ;)

I must say I am very pleased with the filter

Thanks Ake!

One question is the inputgain,I have to turn it down to -15db (is this gain digital or analog?) to not get digital distortion on the optical in (tv) and spdif (laptop and Hiface EVO) and even turn the level down 50% on the laptop.
It all sounds fine but how about the digital level?

The required headroom is very much dependent on the gains that are following. Can you share your setup file?

For some reason I cannot attach pics..

Shyness? Modesty? :)

I've posted V.1.0.2 BETA. Includes:
- A pairing type toggle button, so that you can pair successive channels. It's at a prototyping stage: the pairing type is not included in the setup file for now (so you must set the appropriate pairing type each time you load a file) and I'm not happy with the button. But it should be usable.
- Up to 15 EQs per channel

Najda DAC

I'm truly satisfied with the holografic presentation

Few days ago I've compared the DAC section of the Najda card and the DAC section of music streamer Roomplayer I. Najda was fed by SPDIF and using Pass Thru 96 configuration.
The holographic présentation from the Najda was slightly better than the Roomplayer. Concerning the sound, difficult to say wich one was better, this mean that Najda is very good :)

Work in progress, i'm waiting for the back pannel from Schaeffer:

img00014.jpg

img00013.jpg

By the way,this little box really sound great :

Simple Audio - Products - Room Player I

Last edited:
One question is the inputgain,I have to turn it down to -15db (is this gain digital or analog?) to not get digital distortion on the optical in (tv) and spdif (laptop and Hiface EVO) and even turn the level down 50% on the laptop.
It all sounds fine but how about the digital level?

Can you share your setup file?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbhg0gdno2v4ha7/96Khz F6 6B4G.nsf
The bass low en has to be like that or else no bass,I have messauerd it to be fairly straight.Likewise the treble.

Thanks Ake. I had a look at your setup file and you have nearly 24 dB gain at 50 Hz, and it's still growing towards the lower frequencies with 33 dB at 20 Hz.

If you need so much bass boost, then you must provide a similarly large headroom. Let me try to explain this briefly (and sorry if I say things you already know):
- Digital content (via SPDIF for example) reaches the DSP at a normalized level. This means that the content will hit 0dBFS (FS stands for Full-Scale) from time to time (if you're listening to classical music) or all the time (if you're listening to modern pop or DJ stuff).
- If you add 1 dB of gain in the DSP, then this is enough in theory to clip the signal: everything beyond 0 dBFS is clipping.
- Your setup shows more than 20 dB of boost in the region F < 60 Hz: any content with bass hitting full-scale will require at least 20 dB of headroom.

I'd say you should set more than 15 dB of attenuation on the input signal if you want to keep the setup the way it is now.

There are probably ways to improve your setup.
1. The HF band doesn't need so much headroom. So you should be able to optimize the headroom for each of the frequency bands. Start by moving the input gain to the channel processing pre-gains as illustrated below (the input gain is now 0 dB).

ake1.png

2. Now you can increase the pre-gains in channels 1 & 2 (driving HF) until it starts clipping. A wild guess based on your filters is that you would need only -8dB of gain. This is pictured below. Note that I've moved the corresponding gain difference to the post-gain in order to keep your balance HF/LF as before.

ake2.png

3. You could now move the above -9.5 dB post-gain to the analogue gain section.

4. There's probably something wrong with the sub management: you set a 5 dB post-gain in the digital domain, with no prior headroom provision. This is going to clip. Easy solution: move that post-gain to the analogue gain section.

Few days ago I've compared the DAC section of the Najda card and the DAC section of music streamer Roomplayer I. Najda was fed by SPDIF and using Pass Thru 96 configuration.
The holographic présentation from the Najda was slightly better than the Roomplayer. Concerning the sound, difficult to say wich one was better, this mean that Najda is very good :)

Work in progress, i'm waiting for the back pannel from Schaeffer:

img00014.jpg

img00013.jpg

Nice! Had seen it already on ze french forum ;) Pity for the front plate but it's not a drama either and can be fixed with a bit of TLC.

Nah, forum technical issues. It's been fixed now :)

Very nice Urban! Looking forward to your impressions!

If you need so much bass boost, then you must provide a similarly large headroom
Yes,I use a PA Bass (12LX60v2)in a MLTL box so I need to boost the lowest region.
4. There's probably something wrong with the sub management: you set a 5 dB post-gain in the digital domain, with no prior headroom provision. This is going to clip. Easy solution: move that post-gain to the analogue gain section.
Yes,I havent started to listen to the sub yet thats why.
Thanks for the answer,I will try them.:)

The Swedish team in action ;)

I've posted V.1.0.2 BETA. Includes:
- A pairing type toggle button, so that you can pair successive channels. It's at a prototyping stage: the pairing type is not included in the setup file for now (so you must set the appropriate pairing type each time you load a file) and I'm not happy with the button. But it should be usable.
- Up to 15 EQs per channel

The button is ok :)

Maybe I have missid it but, is there a list of what features you where
planning to add for the next SW release ?

Here`s another request:Is it possible to have separate input gain for coaxial - optical - Analog?
I connected a tuner to the analog and I have to lower the gain to -7,5db to avoid dist,
the satteleite on the optical is ok with 0db and at the coaxial I have to lower to 60% at the laptop so they are quite uneven.

The button is ok :)

Maybe I have missid it but, is there a list of what features you where
planning to add for the next SW release ?

What is missing for the next official release is the FIR/IIR mix. I'm also looking at some more enhancements of the GUI.

Here`s another request:Is it possible to have separate input gain for coaxial - optical - Analog?
I connected a tuner to the analog and I have to lower the gain to -7,5db to avoid dist,
the satteleite on the optical is ok with 0db and at the coaxial I have to lower to 60% at the laptop so they are quite uneven.

There is probably something wrong about your approach to input gain. Normally, you should set the output level of your digital sources to 0 dB. This way you ensure that full resolution audio is feeding the DSP. Then you should set the analogue gain on your source such a way that the signal is near to full scale in the ADC. The clipping led will help you to set the appropriate gain.
If you proceed like this, then all you signals take profit of the full dynamic range and you don't need to set different gains on the DSP.

Normally, you should set the output level of your digital sources to 0 dB. This way you ensure that full resolution audio is feeding the DSP. Then you should set the analogue gain on your source such a way that the signal is near to full scale in the ADC.
The 0db I am aware of,but the optical and the analog source dont have variable level only the laptop.

Here's a photo of my Najda. I've now got the hard work of sorting out the filters, but I'm really pleased so far. Thank you so much! (NB: I used the Meanwell 35B power supply - it seems to work well. The 'buttons' are all spring return switches - the up/down and left/right being two way. I've yet to do the IR. The LED is from eb@y - despite the fact that I live in HK, sourcing that was painful!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 397
The Najda is now playing music through my "big" DIY speakers (Seas T25CF002, prop 6.5" mids and prop 12" woofers) with my three channel LM4780 amps. If it works out I'll build another amp that will be 6 channels in one.

For some reason the IR receiver is not working but I'm sure that's my fault so I'll fixa that later. First I want to adjust the Najda for a rough initial setup. So far I'm just testing with woofers crossed at LR24-80Hz, mids at LR24-80Hz/2500 Hz and highs at LR24-2500 Hz. Sounds pretty good so far. :)

Excellent stuff Nick!

Attachments

• NajdaSourceAndControl.png
    NajdaSourceAndControl.png
    528.1 KB · Views: 382
  • NajdaSpeakers1.png
    NajdaSpeakers1.png
    422.4 KB · Views: 365
  • NajdaSpeakersAndAmp.jpg
    NajdaSpeakersAndAmp.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 347