DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hum, I just found something in the current software revision that is, at least for me, very annoying.

When you import a curve, let's say in output graph, the level is automatically normalized to 0 dB at 1 kHz. It seems that you can't adjust anything here.

So let's say you import a subwoofer response, it is not uncommon to be at -20 or -30 dB at 1 kHz... you can guess what the response looks

I would like be able either to be able to offset the all response or to choose the frequency at which the curve is normalized...

Jean Claude

Nick, any chance you could give us a wish list summary and an indication of how you have prioritised the items?

Hi Shaun,

Priorities are as follow:
- Manual
- Soft/Firm revision
- Expansion board (not fully depending on me)

One of my work colleagues is from Cape Town. He doesn't know you - we never know ;) Seems like a pretty place to be!

A small wish- What would make this a fully featured board( in my eyes ) is if the firmware could control the expansionport so that a digital select (fex over SPI) , 1 of 8 fex could be implemented. The purpose would of course to select audio input, stereo.

Can you please develop? What application would you have in mind?

Here is anorher Mac demand!!!!!!
And there friends arround which demand for Mac also!

I can cope even if there is just a MS software but I'm using Mac
for music playback. Hmmmm, I would still like not having to plug
in the laptop just for doing some settings, please ;)

And here is another Mac guy... ;)

Mac, Mac, Mac,!!!!!!!

Hmmm... Alright I take good note - but don't promise anything at that stage.

Hum, I just found something in the current software revision that is, at least for me, very annoying.

When you import a curve, let's say in output graph, the level is automatically normalized to 0 dB at 1 kHz. It seems that you can't adjust anything here.

So let's say you import a subwoofer response, it is not uncommon to be at -20 or -30 dB at 1 kHz... you can guess what the response looks

I would like be able either to be able to offset the all response or to choose the frequency at which the curve is normalized...

In the mean time, an easy fix would be to add a box to tick (or untick) to disable the 1 kHz normalization

Jean Claude

Indeed, there's normalization taking place at 1 kHz. It makes especially sense when you're loading several curves on the same graph panel. I had already long debates with Shaun on this topic. In the meantime you can zoom in/out and drag the graph. We'll see what we can do.

Best,

Nick

Indeed, there's normalization taking place at 1 kHz. It makes especially sense when you're loading several curves on the same graph panel. I had already long debates with Shaun on this topic. In the meantime you can zoom in/out and drag the graph. We'll see what we can do.
Nick

Sorry, I can't follow you on that. Let's take another example:

you want to design the crossover for a 4 way loudspeaker, so you want to load the curves for the sub, low mid, high mid and high drivers. What will be the look on the same graph panel if you load the 4 curves normalized at 0 dB at 1 kHz. no use at all specially for the sub and the tweeter curves...

Jean Claude

Sorry, I can't follow you on that. Let's take another example:

you want to design the crossover for a 4 way loudspeaker, so you want to load the curves for the sub, low mid, high mid and high drivers. What will be the look on the same graph panel if you load the 4 curves normalized at 0 dB at 1 kHz. no use at all specially for the sub and the tweeter curves...

Jean Claude

The system is actually a bit smarter than that. Relative levels are maintained when you load several curves: the system will select one curve as the normalizing reference, and will move all curves relative to that reference. Give it a try and let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Best,

Nick

The system is actually a bit smarter than that. Relative levels are maintained when you load several curves: the system will select one curve as the normalizing reference, and will move all curves relative to that reference. Give it a try and let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Best,

Nick

Yes, you are right indeed, but I still think that it is a pain not to have control on the overall level... Let me give you another example: It is important to be able to load several curves of the same driver in box at different angle to differentiate what you need to correct and what not to. As you can load only one curve per channel, I use other channels just to visualize them. I like this better than just averaging curves all together.

Jean Claude