DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hi ,

What types of connectors are usable on the card side for the LCD or the push buttons ?

Is it possible tu buy connectors already made with cables with no crimping needed ?

Any references are welcome :)

@chapark :
Providing a cable set with the card may be a good thing, event if you charge few €/$ for it !

It is used by many as high quality audio player....

There are some more info here

Community Funded Squeezebox Replacement - Would you be interested?

Damn long thread. I'm working through it! Some big claims about its audio capability I can see so far.

However, I think I2S outputs is a no go according to the developer here as recent as 17th April;
Community Funded Squeezebox Replacement - Would you be interested? - Page 87

From the FAQ;
What audio interfaces are going to be supported?
S/PDIF - both coax and optical(TOSLINK), USB, line level analog
- both RCA and balanced(XLR) and headphone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jviweuxfhclckv6/Community Squeeze FAQs.pdf

Hi ,

What types of connectors are usable on the card side for the LCD or the push buttons ?

Is it possible tu buy connectors already made with cables with no crimping needed ?

@chapark :
Providing a cable set with the card may be a good thing, event if you charge few €/$ for it !

You actually get four flat Cables with connectors with the card your request is already granted. Don't know if that's forever though...

The connectors with or without cables can be found on eBay for pennies. Search for "dupont cable 10p" for instance in order to find a ready-made 10 pole cable. Connectors can also be found easily if you want to roll your own cables.

I would like to integrate a USB-I2S interface into my Najda build. Has anyone considered the miniSTREAMER from minidsp?

Hi Don,

I haven't heard of any build with Najda and the miniStreamer.
What has been tested so far is the Amareno, a Tenor derivative and someone wrote he's going to try the Luckit - but I haven't heard from that last one yet.

(2 minutes later, time to check the miniStreamer specs) It's going to work fine, no problem. It's actually based on the Tenor chip, and this has been tested.

How about a function to make software setting in pairs?

Hi Bengt,

Do you mean EQs? Or everything (also cross-over/gains/delays)?

Hi ,

@chapark :

Salut Pascal,

As Urban pointed out, there are four 8-pole flat cables coming with the board. They have on one end a header socket (8 contacts in-line).

Also, here's an example of Dupont wires that Urban mentioned, which are a good alternative. You can separate each wire in order to make point to point contacts, and there are various colors so you don't get confused when there are wires crossing each other in your build.

If you make a search on ebay or elsewhere, you'll find out that Dupont wires come in various lengths. In the example above, they are 20 cm long.

It's not really possible for me to supply a wiring kit. I wouldn't know what length you need, and there's no pinout standard for LCD displays and IR sensors. :scratch1:

Hope this helps.

Best,

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlberg View Post
How about a function to make software setting in pairs?
Hi Bengt,

Do you mean EQs? Or everything (also cross-over/gains/delays)?

For everything, seems silly having to make the same settings for both left and right channel in a symetrical setup :) .

Last edited:
Is the firmware open source?
If not, is there a development tool chain that can be used for software download/debugging, do you provide any API?

No, firmware is not open source, for now at least.
Debugging ports are exposed on the board so it's theoretically possible to load your own code.
In practice, there are actually 3 firmwares: one for the micro-controller and one for each DSP core. Which firmware would you be specifically interested in?

For everything, seems silly having to make the same settings for both left and right channel in a symetrical setup :) .

+1. Linking channels as pairs would be nice so that when you alter any setting on say channel 1 it is reflected on channel 2 also.

An alternative could be a button "Copy configuration to channel X" as it exist in another sofware DSP :).

I've rarely seen such mutual agreement on a prospected feature, so I suppose I'll push this in ;) However, content of the forthcoming release is locked so it will take a bit longer until this is made available.

That's cool because it gives us time to discuss the details.
We could link channels one by one so into pairs that any change made on one channel would also reflect on the other channel. This would impose following channel pairs:
- ch 1, ch 5
- ch 2, ch 6
- ch 3, ch 7
- ch 4, ch 8
- ch 9, ch 10

The other way to implement this is, as Pascal suggested, to copy settings from one channel to any other.

For now, if you pay careful attention to the format of the file, you could edit the setup file and copy the configuration of the channel you desire to that of the target channel. I have done this successfully. Just be sure to maintain the correct labes and format.

Indeed, although I don't really recommend this because it's easy to make a mistake and end with an invalid file.

No, firmware is not open source, for now at least.
Debugging ports are exposed on the board so it's theoretically possible to load your own code.
In practice, there are actually 3 firmwares: one for the micro-controller and one for each DSP core. Which firmware would you be specifically interested in?

I'd just like to be able to play with the hardware, so as a minimum I'll need the basic drivers.
Is a schematics available, or at least a list of devices with addresses etc.?

I finally had some time to put things together :)

IMG_3375_zpsdc952740.jpg
[/URL]

And it works... Unfortunately, I couldn't get my nice OLED display (which was left over for another project) to work. It has the exact pin-arrangement so I thought I would give it a try, but it was totally black and no sign of life at all. So I went down to the local store and bought a LCD display. For some reason however, there was no backlight at all so it's really hard to read. I checked the backlight supply pins and it seems to be in order (5V). Then I noticed that the maximum voltage for the background light was 4.5V according to the data sheet...so perhaps I killed it!?

I've been playing music using Airport Express as source (optical connection) during the day and I think it sounds very very good!

However, I would really like to have a working OLED display so I just want to know if anyone has found a compatible one?

Best regards,
Mattias

We could link channels one by one so into pairs that any change made on one channel would also reflect on the other channel. This would impose following channel pairs:
- ch 1, ch 5
- ch 2, ch 6
- ch 3, ch 7
- ch 4, ch 8
- ch 9, ch 10

That would not work that well. Channel one and five are both left channels.

I would prefer:
pair one - ch 1 and ch 2 (subs)
pair two - ch 3 and ch 4 (midbass)
and so on.........

That would not work that well. Channel one and five are both left channels.

I would prefer:
pair one - ch 1 and ch 2 (subs)
pair two - ch 3 and ch 4 (midbass)
and so on.........

yeah +1, but to get equal load on core 0 and 1 it is the best to have the other version (1-4 for one channel and 5-8 for the other). The load on my cores are exactly the same with this setup.

best,
Paal