DSP Xover project (part 2)

Got the Najda into a preliminary housing for a little testing. Had to use what I had in the parts bin. Front in MDF:)

Paal

Attachments

• Najda 001.jpg
    Najda 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 871
Yey, Got mine working too.
Powered up and behaves just as it should -
The SPDIF light is on fine with either coax or optical in / selected - In only have one or other connected at a time.
The clipping LED for bass and treble is coming on at times / pretty much always when a track gets going. Is this normal / something I can set somewhere.
Firmware update done...
Ah, turning off the bass and treble setting via the PC cured that flashing LED...

The build is very lash at this stage... I want to hear it before committing to a nice box etc.

WP_20130316_003.jpg

WP_20130316_002.jpg

The PSU is performing nicely.

Now to load the PC app and start playing some more...

Last edited:
Got the Najda into a preliminary housing for a little testing. Had to use what I had in the parts bin. Front in MDF:)

Yey, Got mine working too.
Powered up and behaves just as it should -

Nice job! Congrats for the build! :)

I don't see the IR receiver module. Don't you guys intend to use a remote controller?

Paal, can you give us some detail on the PSU you're using?

The SPDIF light is on fine with either coax or optical in / selected - In only have one or other connected at a time.
So you can leave both connected at the same time, that's not a problem

The clipping LED for bass and treble is coming on at times / pretty much always when a track gets going. Is this normal / something I can set somewhere.
You can adjust the headroom prior to the bass/treble section in the control application. Usually 3 dB is enough unless you're listening to some really hot program. Then you can compensate by adding some output level in the analogue domain.

Firmware update done...
Ah, turning off the bass and treble setting via the PC cured that flashing LED...

Yup, if you disable Bass/Treble in the app, then this stage is bypassed and hence cannot clip.

The PSU is performing nicely.

Did you need to dummy load the PSU?

Now to load the PC app and start playing some more...

That's great. Just be careful when loading IIR setup files. The fix is on the way.

Last edited:
Not got round to IR yet. Sound first;)
I am getting nice dancing bars on the input side of things, but nothing on the output - no matter what I press. What am I missing?
I have the first column of outputs connected up to the amp (sub at this stage). Of course nothing coming out - no lights on the output stages.

Not sure if dummy load is needed or not - I left it on as doesn't hurt apart from a few watts extra on the mains...

I don't see the IR receiver module. Don't you guys intend to use a remote controller?
Did you need to dummy load the PSU?
That's great. Just be careful when loading IIR setup files. The fix is on the way.

I am getting nice dancing bars on the input side of things, but nothing on the output - no matter what I press. What am I missing?
I have the first column of outputs connected up to the amp (sub at this stage). Of course nothing coming out - no lights on the output stages.

Alright, you're running a FIR setup.

A new FIR setup is by default an open-circuit: there's no connection between inputs and outputs.

In order to create the connection:
- Create a new file in Notepad (or similar text editor)
- Type simply 1 in the file, nothing else.
- Save the file as fir1.txt for example

Then in Najda Under Control,
- On the input processing tab, select Left FIR block and load the file. The block will show 1 coef. Do the same on the right channel.
- On the ouptut processing tab, there are also FIR blocks. For each channel that you want to connect, load the above fir1.txt file.

Now you should see bars in each channel that you have activated.
You still might not have any sound: hit the space bar or click on the Unmute button.

Aha - Sound

Alright, you're running a FIR setup.

A new FIR setup is by default an open-circuit: there's no connection between inputs and outputs.

In order to create the connection:
- Create a new file in Notepad (or similar text editor)
- Type simply 1 in the file, nothing else.
- Save the file as fir1.txt for example

Then in Najda Under Control,
- On the input processing tab, select Left FIR block and load the file. The block will show 1 coef. Do the same on the right channel.
- On the ouptut processing tab, there are also FIR blocks. For each channel that you want to connect, load the above fir1.txt file.

Now you should see bars in each channel that you have activated.
You still might not have any sound: hit the space bar or click on the Unmute button.

So, this is through my 5 way horn system... Well it's a 4 way horn system at the moment;) I've left the analogue X/O's in place. It is a leap of faith to let DSP play without passives on drivers I have - but the time will come:)

-Plays sound on all 4 channels.
-In/out gain structures are perfect.
-Sounds pretty good straight out of the box.

OK, no tweeter on at the moment but the Vitavox S2 compression upper mid drivers go fairly high, so Raal Lazy ribbon are not doing too much, but are missed.
Hurry up with that expansion board please:):):)

When I had the Behringers, (spit), there were sonic gains to be had going DSP X/O. This helped but did not offset the lack of SQ on input and output stages. My passives blew them away no problem at all. Bear in mind I am using just a 3uF cap on the S2's and a 1uF on the ribbon tweeters, so not a lot is getting lost on the passives. The upper 3 channels are powered by EL84 SET amps BTW.

I'll have to try the analogue in next and see what that sounds like. I love my old dac and my Puresound L10 tube pre - Now possibly redundant!

Oh, and I want that remote control now:)

So, this is through my 5 way horn system... Well it's a 4 way horn system at the moment;) I've left the analogue X/O's in place. It is a leap of faith to let DSP play without passives on drivers I have - but the time will come:)
It's actually a good idea to keep the passives until i come with the fix for IIR setups. I'm working on it. In the meantime FIRs are safe.

-Plays sound on all 4 channels.
-In/out gain structures are perfect.
-Sounds pretty good straight out of the box.

Cool, thanks :)

Hurry up with that expansion board please:):):)
Alright, we'll do that. You'll need to leave some space between the board and the power supply in your final casing.
Apart from Steve, is there anyone interested in a 6-output expansion board?

I'll have to try the analogue in next and see what that sounds like. I love my old dac and my Puresound L10 tube pre - Now possibly redundant!
How about a USB to I2S on expansion port 1?

Oh, and I want that remote control now:)

Cool, let me know how it goes! :)

Just popped the tweeter amp off the same analogue feed as the upper mid. Sounds better for it.

I can do that with the Najda doing X/O work on the other 4 channels.
Or better to do it on the tapped horn subs, as they are something like 9ms behind the other 4 channels that are all aligned physically by Hornresp measurement and so I reckon I can delay the upper 4 channels in DSP and finally get a time aligned 5 way.

I'll hold fire on the fix first though.

The dacs voice differently to my trusty dac. Not bad, just different. Much could be OP amps - future tinkering no doubt.

Now for some ADC.

Last edited:
ADC then - Too much gain from my usual DAC to go into Najda straight. So through the Puresound L10 pre amp first...

Wow, back to back comparisons, the above against straight SPDIF in from the transport are I would say near impossible to tell a difference between. Blind test, you would have no clue.
This bodes well for ADC use of the Turntable - a Technics SP-10 / Fidelity Research FR64s arm, SPU Silver Meister cart and Icon Audio valve phonostage...

One thing - my LCD display seem to be a little faulty. I noticed on first powering up that the top line of the bottom row of text is faint. Increasing the contrast got rid of it...
However it seems to come back sometimes and fiddling with the contrast sorts it for a while or at least until next time the SET button is pressed. Not sure it is the SET button pressing or the display itself at this stage.
Not pressing the SET button. It just goes like that after a little while . Playing with the contrast sorts it every time.

Last edited:

Paal, can you give us some detail on the PSU you're using?

Yup, if you disable Bass/Treble in the app, then this stage is bypassed and hence cannot clip.

Hi Nick,
The IR reciver is still on it's way from ebay. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Regardig my PSU I do not have much detail as it is from the parts bin, but it's a "power one" linear supply. Output is 5V@2A and +- 12V@0,4A.

I do also have the clip issue in the bass treble section. I have put the sliders to 0 but it did not help. I have to look for the "disable button"?

Yesterday I made a 2k IIR XO that worked nicely. I imported the raw driver responses into the program and it was really easy to equalize the drivers. I am missing an "invert" button for each channel so I can easy check how the XO behaves at the crossover point.

Today FIR is on my scedule:)

Paal

If I want channel 5 and 6 to be mono (sub)how do I rout that?
Is there a way to mute the channels (Individualy)?

Hi Ake,

I understand you want Left + Right in channel 5 and channel 6.
In the Channel Processing tab, select the dark blue block on the left hand side for these channels, and select here SUM.
SUM is defined as (LEFT+RIGHT)/2

Individual muting is available on the Monitor tab (i.e. the tab with VU meters). In order to display this tab, you must first connect the application to the board. The Monitor tab will display automatically as soon as you connect.

I do also have the clip issue in the bass treble section. I have put the sliders to 0 but it did not help. I have to look for the "disable button"?

Hi Paal,

In the application menu, Settings -> Bass/Treble Settings, will display the Bass/Treble Settings dialogue.
In this dialogue you can disable Bass and Treble if this is what you want. You can also add a bit of headroom in front of the Bass/Treble section so that it won't clip anymore.

If your settings are Bass 0 and Treble 0, then clipping won't affect the output signal. The led turns on because the internals of this section are clipping but they're not being used. Maybe I should disable this led on Bass/Treble when they're both set to zero as this seems confusing.

I am missing an "invert" button for each channel so I can easy check how the XO behaves at the crossover point.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you're thinking of a Polarity Invert +/-, then it's actually in there. In the Channel Processing tab, that's the square block with a "+" in it near the far right. Clicking on this square will toggle polarity (and the block will show "+" or "-" accordingly). In the Graph tab, you can check how the polarity will affect the sum of the individual curves.

If you want to see processed/unprocessed curves in the Graph tab, there's this Show Unprocessed checkbox that will allow you toggling between processing on/off in the graph only.

If I totally misunderstood, please ask again.

The software fix is with Shaun for testing. As soon as Shaun has approved the soft, I'll make it available for download. Thanks for your patience.

Paal,
It's under setting / bass and treble / untick enable.
How exactly do you create the IIR XO filter files. I have not got upto speed on that yet.

I am now onto analogue.

Deck
WP_20130317_003.jpg

Najda now in pride of place - where the Puresound L10 used to be.

WP_20130317_002.jpg

My 5 amps are to the right. 3 SET amps and 2 big T-amps for the bass.

So, how does it vinyl sound (on 96KHz passthrough).
Firstly I had to back off the gain on the phonostage or it clips.

So for a bit of old school jazz. Louis and Duke - Together album (1961) - remastered to 'Dynamic Stereo', This is a bit of an audiophiles wet dream. The tonal quality of the clarinet and tumpet are what I am really listening for.
Then on to Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley and Miles Davis - The last album Miles D was not leader... Here it is all about that trumpet and Cannonball's Sax.

Early impressions are good. Lots of life - if anything that would be my only neg on the L10. It sounded a very little bit less lively than I would like.
No such problem with this setup. If anything the symbols are too a bit splashy but they are on the Louis Duke album.

Oh and there is absolutely NO hum! I just earth the Step up transformer as usual to a power amp and silence! I've never quite achieved that before and on any preamp set up!

BTW I do not only listen to jazz - Yesterday it was , Yello - touch, Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Kristina Train, Maria Mena, Ray Lamontagne, ACDC and others:)

Miles and Cannonball are sounding very sweet. I really can't fault this at the moment - Hell of an achievement for ADC / DAC. I have heard a few real hash ups.
(BTW I have no connection with this project other than wanting a 5 way DSP X/O)

Lots more music to come.

Last edited:
That's cool. I think I need it.
I created 8 channels of slopes and only 4 shjow up and they are not what I created when viewed in the output graph. The others don't show at all:)

BTW, I am really enjoying this project - in case you couldn't tell:)

Hi Ake,
The software fix is with Shaun for testing. As soon as Shaun has approved the soft, I'll make it available for download. Thanks for your patience.

Ah - my mistake. Nothing wrong with the SW etc.
I just swapped the slopes setting around so odd things could have come out.

I have corrected and now have it playing using my DSP X/O points of

Channel 1/ 2: 0 to 100Hz BS 48dB/oct
Channel 3/4 100 Hz BS 48dB/oct to 330 Hz BS 24dB/oct
Channel 5/6 330Hz BS 12dB/oct to 1200Hz BS 12dB/oct
Channel 7/8 1200Hz BW 6dB to open

Going steeper slopes on the bass channels will help clean up the tapped horn comb filtering more than my passive 24dB / oct.

Just the inductors for the bass channels cost more this DSP project. Live and learn maybe - but this DSP was not available back then:)

I've still got caps on the 2 highest channels - scaredy cat I am:)

That's cool. I think I need it.
I created 8 channels of slopes and only 4 shjow up and they are not what I created when viewed in the output graph. The others don't show at all:)

BTW, I am really enjoying this project - in case you couldn't tell:)

Version 0.0.2 available

The software fix is available for download at the usual place:

Najda Downloads

This solves the issue reported by Shaun regarding loading of heavy IIR setup files. Again many thanks to Shaun for reporting the bug.

Xav also fixed the installer so that you don't need to run it as administrator anymore. If you had already installed the USB drivers, then you can skip that stage at the installer prompt.

Please download the file and update your system, even if you haven't seen the bug. Thanks!

Note:
- There's going to be a firmware update when you connect the first time. This will reset the board to its factory defaults.
- All your Setup files (*.nsf) can be used with this new software version.

Last edited:
Cool will download.

Yey, it's doing my crossovers and sounding ok.

The software fix is available for download at the usual place:

Najda Downloads

This solves the issue reported by Shaun regarding loading of heavy IIR setup files. Again many thanks to Shaun for reporting the bug.

Xav also fixed the installer so that you don't need to run it as administrator anymore. If you had already installed the USB drivers, then you can skip that stage at the installer prompt.

Please download the file and update your system, even if you haven't seen the bug. Thanks!

Note:
- There's going to be a firmware update when you connect the first time. This will reset the board to its factory defaults.
- All your Setup files (*.nsf) can be used with this new software version.

Hi Ake,

Hi Paal,

In the application menu, Settings -> Bass/Treble Settings, will display the Bass/Treble Settings dialogue.
In this dialogue you can disable Bass and Treble if this is what you want. You can also add a bit of headroom in front of the Bass/Treble section so that it won't clip anymore.

If your settings are Bass 0 and Treble 0, then clipping won't affect the output signal. The led turns on because the internals of this section are clipping but they're not being used. Maybe I should disable this led on Bass/Treble when they're both set to zero as this seems confusing.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you're thinking of a Polarity Invert +/-, then it's actually in there. In the Channel Processing tab, that's the square block with a "+" in it near the far right. Clicking on this square will toggle polarity (and the block will show "+" or "-" accordingly). In the Graph tab, you can check how the polarity will affect the sum of the individual curves.

If you want to see processed/unprocessed curves in the Graph tab, there's this Show Unprocessed checkbox that will allow you toggling between processing on/off in the graph only.

If I totally misunderstood, please ask again.

Hi Nick,
1) Yes, I want to disable bass/treble.Ok, I got it.
2) Sorry, Yes I mean polarity.All is OK!!
3)I tried some FIR filters today. A 2k LR4 with driver correction. I am not certain I have done it correct, but the result looks quite good. see accached pdf.

Attachments

• 1_Najda FIR.pdf
    357.8 KB · Views: 193