DSP Xover project (part 2)

One other question.

does this one have auto time align ?

No, no such function. Sorry.

If you have your own DAC´s(Run on Spdif)could the digital volumecontrol be used for them?

Volume control takes place in the onboard DACs or in the analogue volume chip if installed. No volume control on spdif lines.

We mentioned this topic a couple of times: there're SPI and I2C lines on the expansion ports. I'm OK to add volume control of external DACs through these lines, provided that there are not too many different models of DACs to control - and provided that your DAC accepts external volume control.

This would be anyway included in a further software release and not now - but can I ask you to check your DACs and see if actually there's provision for external volume control?

Hi Nick,

I'm interested in the board with the analogue level control.

Best regards,
Vitali

Also registering interest for one board with analogue volume control.

Rgds,
Rob.

Cheers, thanks for the feedback!

(I must say Your system seems "awesom" as I've heard americans express it.)

That's a very nice compliment, thank you!

hi there!
interested in expansion boards!

That's cool! We were thinking of 6 more analogue outs similar to what's on the main board, but without analogue volume control in order to cut costs down - there would still be digital volume.

Is that I2S?

As mentioned qusp, SPI and I2C transfer commands rather than audio.

The board has I2S buses for audio transfer, and SPI/I2C buses for command/status transfer.
Some chips want SPI, some chips want I2C, some are happy with any.

Coming back to our point, if you'd like to control the output volume of your DACs from an external board, you should look at how we can make this possible.
1st thing is to check whether there's provision for controlling volume externally.
2nd thing is to find out what bus is being used (SPI or I2C and voltage level).
3rd thing is to tell me what sequence of commands the DACs are expecting.

This is unfortunately not something trivial.

Another option is to use GPOs. Expansion ports indeed have a few GPIOs as well ;) (GPIO: General Purpose Input/Output)

Basically we could simulate with GPOs a push-button press: one line to increase volume, one line to decrease volume. Only problem is initialization: how can the board know the initial volume setting of your DACs?

Coming back to our point, if you'd like to control the output volume of your DACs from an external board, you should look at how we can make this possible.

This might be a completey daft idea, but it occurs to me the best general purpose solution to this might be an expansion board with another analogue volume control chip and some analogue inputs and outputs. That way we could flexibly use the onboard dac and analogue out plus route out any channels to external dac and the back in to the extra volume control as inclination/budget allows.

Or a mk2 main board that allows pass-through of the outputs i.e. digital out->external dac->analogue input->volume control->analogue out :)

es9023 doesnt have i2c, or digital volume afaik

tbh I would rather use the onboard dacs than 9023 for this application. dont get me wrong its a nice dac if the implementation is good, but its not really the best candidate for being remotely controlled, is 2 channel, is asynchronous etc.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess its either CS4382A, CS4384 or CS4385 which are pretty excellent looking parts that have been used successfully in pro audio cards. Some of the 6 channel lower power parts have been used in modern consumer headphone hobbiest products like the JH3A and a new upcoming design from Unique melody (actually i'm only taking an educated guess with that)

so if i'm right, i'll definitely be having a bit of a listen too out of curiosity as i've been meaning to grab some samples. the CS dacs are usually pretty decent
Well I found the educated guess and "Chaparks" comment about it being educated.
Then I got tired of searching so..........?

are you sure youve been following this thread? =)
Yeahh, you might say that :)