DSP Xover project (part 2)

SAC,

I am also using the Najda for the Nao Note II RS. What you have to do is to copy all the crossover coefficients and all the PEQ coefficients in the same file, one at the end of the others. The you'll see in the graph the same exact transfer function that you can see in the miniDSP. Don't forget to adjust your delay where it is needed and polarity.

If you still have some difficulty I could send you the file.

Good luck

SAC,

I am also using the Najda for the Nao Note II RS. What you have to do is to copy all the crossover coefficients and all the PEQ coefficients in the same file, one at the end of the others. The you'll see in the graph the same exact transfer function that you can see in the miniDSP. Don't forget to adjust your delay where it is needed and polarity.

If you still have some difficulty I could send you the file.

Good luck

I thought that is what I did, put them all in one file, but it failed. I count 8 biquads for the crossover and another 4 for the PEQ, giving 12 - more than the maximum 10 Najda allows, hence the fail message.

If you have the file handy do please send it my way.

Sean,

You must be interpeting somehting wrong. For the set up with SLS woofer there are a total of 5 biquads for the woofer channel, 6 for the lower mid, 8 for the upper mid, and 7 for the tweeter. Please also note that the last biquad for the woofer, upper mid and tweeter, where only the coefficient B0 is specified, is only a gain change and could be removed and set in the Nadja pre or post gain. Gan in dB = 20 Log (B0).

That makes sense John. I was including the extra biquads with ones and zeros against them. Now deleted those and got the numbers you described - 5,6,8,7 - uploaded and sounding good!

I do not have to worry about gain changes then? I did not understand that 20log bit you mentioned so hopefully I'm done.

A little up from me.

I have been a bit lazy just enjoying listening recently - time off from the DIY:)

I had not spotted that there are now 8th order X/O slopes available (not sure that they were available with the early SW releases - don't think so.

Anyway, I tried 8th order on the upper knee of my Tapped horn subs and then on the lower knee of my bass horns.
Revelation - Great bass weight and definition.
Oddly bass appears more powerful, I guess as there is better stop / start definition.

Big upgrade to my sound. Great to re-enjoy all the bass oriented stuff I have and annoy the wife with it:)

That makes sense John. I was including the extra biquads with ones and zeros against them. Now deleted those and got the numbers you described - 5,6,8,7 - uploaded and sounding good!

I do not have to worry about gain changes then? I did not understand that 20log bit you mentioned so hopefully I'm done.

Correct. If you remove only the biquads where B0 = 1.0 and all other coefficients are a zero you should be set. That is, keep the biquads with B0 = 0.79 and B0 = 0.89.

You may still have to play around with the woofer and tweeter levels using the LP and HP shelves, to suite your taste.

Hope this is clear.

Is the Najda capable of correcting the phase shift of say a 24db filter at 20hz (number of taps etc?). I tried a highpass filter on the Orions once, but the bass lost tightness. Keep in mind that for the Orions (and possibly the Note?) the lowest octave dipole eq is there not to add 20hz audible content (which requires more than 2x10" per side) but to reduce the phase shift from drooping response.

I have receive my Najda couple day's ago and now I'm looking how to wire everything...

lets start with display ;

I have VFD module CU16025-UW6J from Noritake
it's HD44780 compatible and I hope it will work with Najda.

As I'm totally noob at this, I download PDF
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/5127.pdf

and notice that pin connection goes from 1-14 but Najda have 1-16
last pin 15,16 on Najda is backlite +5V and backlite DGND
which I presume VFD doesn't nead

So connecting VFD to Najda is straight forward ?

connecting pin 1 to 1 and so on until 14-14 (leaving pin 15 and 16 out) ?

One more thing, VDF have connection pins 1-6, right next to 1-14, I believe that I don't use them with Najda ?

20140217_145121_zps7ab6bbb6.jpg

noritake_zps383b85db.jpg

there is one diference
pin 3 on NAJDA is Contrast Adjust
pin 3 on VDF is FNC
it's the sime ?

tnx

In case you haven't noticed the Noritake VFDs have an underline segment on all characters and it will most likely not look exactly as intended as it has different character defintions than the 100 % HD44780 compatible displays.

Check post #1185 and #1189 for details.

Last edited:
I have one more question;
about power supply

I have swiching power supply from old NAD s170 preamplifier and it have +/-15V (and +5V)
The plan is to use it (before I build something else) and lower 15V by diode...
I have some MUR860 lying around...

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/RU/RURP860.pdf

When I look at MUR860 datasheet it state that voltage drop is like 0.75V so I'm thinking to place 4 in series...

What is operating voltage of Najda ?
will it be safe to use it with 12.5V or 11.5V ?

one more question...
when I connect ;

1. only plus side is under load - 4 x MUR860 on ''plus'' side with 12ohm (6x75Ohm/3W in paralel) load I get cca11.75V
2. only minus side is under load - 4 x MUR860 on ''minus'' side with 12ohm (6x75Ohm/3W in paralel) load I get cca10.75V

3.both, plus and minus, side is under load - 4 x MUR860 with 19ohm load (4x75Ohm/3W in paralel) (0.6A) on plus and minus, I get cca11.5V on both sides (minus and plus)

is it safe to connect this power supply to Najda ?

tnx

Last edited: