DSP Xover project (part 2)

Very interesting project, if funds allow I may well be up for one to compare with my much-modded dcx.

However, if I may, I'd like to suggest a sequel. How about a two channel board that you can build into a power amp? You could have the usual crossover, eq and gain stuff, but add in stuff like remote on, soft start, clipping indicator and DC protection all under USB control. Could be a very powerful solution that would save space and be installed into just about any amp to upgrade it. Thoughts? :)

Very interesting project, if funds allow I may well be up for one to compare with my much-modded dcx.

However, if I may, I'd like to suggest a sequel. How about a two channel board that you can build into a power amp? You could have the usual crossover, eq and gain stuff, but add in stuff like remote on, soft start, clipping indicator and DC protection all under USB control. Could be a very powerful solution that would save space and be installed into just about any amp to upgrade it. Thoughts? :)

Hi pinkmouse, thanks for your interest. Your suggestion sounds great but I don't have such a product planned at the moment - sorry mate.
This product I'm currently developping is what you're looking for, except that it has more than just a pair of inputs/outputs - but i will happily fit into the amp chassis (provided there's some space left in it).

Both Orfeusz produits have Balanced I/O.
My wish is to have the choice RCA or XLR ;)
Ideal for me, will be 1 Balanced in and 2 Balanced out.
Could it be done with optional boards ?
Hope it Will :)

Salut Korben,

Pour des raisons d'encombrement il ne m'est pas possible de fournir des entrees/sorties symetriques et asymetriques sur la meme carte. That would end in a huge and ugly board so I decided to go for unbalanced ins and outs, which is what most potential users will want in a home-hifi context.

Salut Korben,

Pour des raisons d'encombrement il ne m'est pas possible de fournir des entrees/sorties symetriques et asymetriques sur la meme carte. That would end in a huge and ugly board so I decided to go for unbalanced ins and outs, which is what most potential users will want in a home-hifi context.

Thank you for your answer, I understand your mean and design requirement.
I'm a newbie :rolleyes:, so, would it be possible to choose unbalanced or balanced I/O using separate optional board ?
Last time I ask for this, but as you know "Impossible n'est pas Français", your answer show you write it to perfection :D

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, I understand your mean and design requirement.
I'm a newbie :rolleyes:, so, would it be possible to choose unbalanced or balanced I/O using a separate optional board for Analog ?
Last time I ask for this, but as you know "Impossible n'est pas Français" :D

On this board the analog ins and outs are unbalanced. I'm not planning any board with balanced analog for now (but who knows maybe some day).

If you have specific requirements you may want to look at what you can do with SPDIF and I2S. Of course you would have to supply your own converters.

On the other hand, for home use I can't see any obvious point to go balanced unless the amps are placed within the loudspeaker cabinet (i.e. the signal would need to travel several meters between the processor and the amps)

You're right chaparK, I'm concerned with both SPDIF & I2S digital sources.
OTOH I've got a fully balanced preamp (UGS) offering native bi-amping, and 2 balanced amps (MiniA - UCD180ST - AlephJ on the bench).
Sorry for my insistance...

Korben, unfortunately I have no easy suggestion for connecting your balanced equipment to the dsp board.

If you do want to use your existing equipment, what I can think of is the following:

your preamp (UGS) => balanced input stereo ADC => (I2S or SPDIF) The DSP board (I2S or SPDIF) => DACs with balanced outs => your balanced amps

But to be honnest, if I were you I'd just look at other dsp boards with balanced ins/outs ;)

I like this project. My preference would be to for allow an external clock input that way one could play 44.1k audio without rate conversion and an external clock could be part of the upgrade path. I also like the idea of being able to power differnt parts of the circuit from discreet voltage regulators. Maybe you could leave jumpers on the board to allow one to break into the power supply paths and add one's own outboard power at important parts.

I like this project. My preference would be to for allow an external clock input that way one could play 44.1k audio without rate conversion and an external clock could be part of the upgrade path. I also like the idea of being able to power differnt parts of the circuit from discreet voltage regulators. Maybe you could leave jumpers on the board to allow one to break into the power supply paths and add one's own outboard power at important parts.

Digital filters are much more accurate the higher the sampling rate. What's wrong with upconverting to 192K or even a multiple of 44.1K ??

Digital filters are much more accurate the higher the sampling rate. What's wrong with upconverting to 192K or even a multiple of 44.1K ??

I settled on the non- oversampled DAC which of course has no digital filtering. This sounds most like analog to me and now I wouldn't do it any other way.
There is nothing to be gained from upsampling apart from the digital filtering.
The sample rate converter chips do some damage going from 44.1 to 48.
I'd really like to be able to use my own DACs on the output of this kind of crossover and be able to use an external A to D converter. Sounds like you have an interesting project going. I'm definately interested.

I settled on the non- oversampled DAC which of course has no digital filtering. This sounds most like analog to me and now I wouldn't do it any other way.
There is nothing to be gained from upsampling apart from the digital filtering.
The sample rate converter chips do some damage going from 44.1 to 48.
I'd really like to be able to use my own DACs on the output of this kind of crossover and be able to use an external A to D converter. Sounds like you have an interesting project going. I'm definately interested.

With a SN/R of 120 dB and more I doubt the SRC does any damage. With 44.1KHz and 16 bit sampling most of the damage has already been done sampling at a low rate and bit depth !! What the SRC adds to the source material is not going to be noticable and the other benefits are the digital filters work a lot better at the higher sampling rate and bit depth ;)

I like this project. My preference would be to for allow an external clock input that way one could play 44.1k audio without rate conversion and an external clock could be part of the upgrade path.

Another forum member (qusp) had already asked for external clock supply. I have made the hardware change so that external clock supply is possible now. The software part of this option might come only with the 2nd release - depending on time available until October.

I also like the idea of being able to power differnt parts of the circuit from discreet voltage regulators. Maybe you could leave jumpers on the board to allow one to break into the power supply paths and add one's own outboard power at important parts.

Each analogue IC has its dedicated regulator(s) and voltage rails for OP is supplied by the user (+/- 12V).

Are you still planning to expand the board to a DSP preamplifier, with input selection and volume control via a remote?
Input selector (maybe 4 to 8 RCA inputs) ---> DSP (stereo analog input) ---> volume control ---> outputs

So the DSP board has to control the input selector. For example a board like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/XD-4-channel-stereo-audio-signals-select-board-/200757070864?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2ebe0dcc10

Will it be possible?

Best Regards

Yes the board has control over input source selection - but there's only 1 analogue input pair (otherwise that would result in a huge board).
So input selection is between following sources:
- Analogue
- SPDIF optical
- SPDIF coax
- I2S

Cheers

Nick

With a SN/R of 120 dB and more I doubt the SRC does any damage. With 44.1KHz and 16 bit sampling most of the damage has already been done sampling at a low rate and bit depth !! What the SRC adds to the source material is not going to be noticable and the other benefits are the digital filters work a lot better at the higher sampling rate and bit depth ;)

The damage occurs as a discontinuity in the time domain. This isn't going to show up as noise or distortion (in your measurements) but is noticeable in listening.