DSP Xover project (part 2)

So you haven't tried the digital volume control in the Sabre/Buffalo? You should. You may change your mind :)
I'd be looking for no more than 2 channels per DAC, and therfore I need to externally synchorise volume between several DACs.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll be giving it a listen as soon as it arrives (currently in transit). I'd love to do stereo DACs but would have to sell a kidney, or sell my wife.

My understanding of the volume control on a Buffalo is that it's controlled the same as a miniDSP; just a single pot. If that's the case, it's likely you could wire 4x stereo buffalo's up to a single pot and control all volumes together. Make it a motorised one and you've got remote-controlled volume.

I'm controlling mastervolume over three Buffalos, works like a charm :)
Connects in parralel to the same pot.
You can see two Stevens and Billington tx-102 on the preamp that's no
longer in use. I belive that this volume control solution is just as god or extremely close.

done0002.JPG

There is a .pdf from ess describing how it's set up that's interessting.
The Ess site seems to be down so I uploaded it from here (it's a public document so I suppose it's ok).

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

Hi Guys
I have been looking at various audio chassis options and they are way too expensive in my opinion. For those in the USA, here is one that will be perfect with a little bit of work.
LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-Q05B Mini ITX Media Center / HTPC Case - Newegg.com
At just about 70$ shipped, this can be a good deal. Let me know what you think?
--raj

I don't like this chassis to much: the rear cut suggests to place the power supply beside Najda's analogue section. It would be far better to have the PSU on the other side.
Also, for easy machining, you should favor cases with removable front and rear panels whenever possible.

I tried going from 192k to 96k yesterday and it worked out pretty god.
SQ differences noticed from a short listening was that the 192 seemed
a bit more polished and the 96 had a bit more drive. I think that I would
actually prefer the 96 in most cases.

Shifting from one to the other gave some problems though.
There was some disturbance that sounded like really bad
vinyl record crackling that went away if I restarted the dsp
after the shift. Not sure if the problems related to Najda or if
it's the Buffalos not locking as they schould.
Not a big problem since I don't shift that often but anyway.

Sounds great as usual :D

Largely concur with your findings in my standard implementation. I thought 192 sounded a bit glassy / unreal at times. Yes about the drive on 96, never found it too much or obtrusive.

Anyway with full 4 way and some correction I think the processors would really struggle at 192 so it's a no go for me in a full house setup.

I tried going from 192k to 96k yesterday and it worked out pretty god.
SQ differences noticed from a short listening was that the 192 seemed
a bit more polished and the 96 had a bit more drive. I think that I would
actually prefer the 96 in most cases.

Not a big problem since I don't shift that often but anyway.

Sounds great as usual :D

Hmm that's interesting :)

Is there a mean to reset your external DACs? You cannot always feed a new sample rate to a DAC without re-initializing the chip.

For example, for the onboard DACs, I put them in reset state, then change the clock, then wake-up the DACs and initialize their registers.

Hmm that's interesting :)

Is there a mean to reset your external DACs? You cannot always feed a new sample rate to a DAC without re-initializing the chip.

For example, for the onboard DACs, I put them in reset state, then change the clock, then wake-up the DACs and initialize their registers.

Seems like I'm doing something similar when restarting Najda then. :)

377089d1381931702-dsp-xover-project-part-2-channelpaired.png

When you paired channel 9 to channel 10 they both ended up as right channels :eek:.

In other projects I have liked the LT 1361 op-amp, might be worth trying.

Nick,

Is it possible to store analog gains with the setup? This would help with transportability of .nsf files.

Since I'm asking for more features... Is it possible to show the impact of analog gains in the output graphs?

Hi Don,

This was already requested some time ago. I was previously reluctant because I needed to support also boards without the volume chip. However, I ended stocking only boards with the volume chip - so yes, we could look at storing the analogue gains into the setup files.

If we were doing this, then I'd like to simplify the whole processing structure: replace the digital post-gains with analogue ones and get rid of the current output level dialogue.

Hi Nick,

maybe a bit different topic, but...I am rebuilding a turntable and preamp and was thinking whether there would be a theoretical chance to implement RIAA correction into NAJDA (into input section). Then only simple preamp would be necessary to amplify the signal from the cartridge and NAJDA would do the rest of the job.