DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hi,

I have read that some were successful to connect the Amanero USB-I2S converter to Najda. I tried the WaveIO but without success. Always got an overload of the DSP_Core 1.
I have measured the output ob both converters, and the signals are nearly equal. Since the names given for the I2S Pins are quite different, I would be happy if those who were succesful with Amanero on expansion Port 1 of Najda can send me which pins from Amanero have to be connected where on the expansion board.
Thanks in advance for the help:)

Regards

Sigi

Perhaps not because it is better but because it makes me feel better I will also use a linear supply. I will use a custom Najda linear supply that lines up perfectly with the Najda board connectors. I'll also use a custom Najda Control panel together with a custom Najda LED panel. These custom Products really make it simple to build things ;) Initial POC build will use an old Hifi2000 enclosure.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 569
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Perhaps not because it is better but because it makes me feel better I will also use a linear supply. I will use a custom Najda linear supply that lines up perfectly with the Najda board connectors. I'll also use a custom Najda Control panel together with a custom Najda LED panel. These custom Products really make it simple to build things ;) Initial POC build will use an old Hifi2000 enclosure.

What kind of linear regulator were selected ?

I like a lot the custom led and push button pcbs, did you have any pcbs left to sell ?
Best regards from France
Jean Claude

Since there are linear regulators on the Najda board I estimated the need for ultra high performance regulators acting as pre-regulators as quite low and used the L78S05CV (2A from ST) and standard 7812/7912 types (1.5A ST/TI).

The push buttom PCB uses the standard tactile switch (eBay and everywhere else). The LED panel uses "any" LED or LEDs fitted in PCB holders.

Since there are linear regulators on the Najda board I estimated the need for ultra high performance regulators acting as pre-regulators as quite low and used the L78S05CV (2A from ST) and standard 7812/7912 types (1.5A ST/TI).

OK

The push buttom PCB uses the standard tactile switch (eBay and everywhere else). The LED panel uses "any" LED or LEDs fitted in PCB holders.

Sorry, I was not clear enough ! I'm talking about the very nice printed circuit boards not the led or push button

I will slowly build 3D drawings of my future Najda system to check that everyhting will come fine.
My system will include, beside the original Najda board, symetrical input-outputs boards, the Amanero USB to I2S converter, the Meanwell NET35 SMPS and an optional lowdrop linear regulator board (between the SMPS and the Najda board)

The selected cabinet is the Modus Galaxy Maggiorato 330 x 280 x 80 mm and here is the 3D drawing I just built

JC

Attachments

• Galaxy Maggiorato 330 x 280.pdf
    42.2 KB · Views: 160
Najda Case

10 of us in France are working on that design for the front plate, here with the leds for WaveIO USB I2S Board (optionnal). We found more convenient to have USB to PC on front plate. Will have a MEC navigator.

Case should be Hifi2000 Slim 19" 2U 280 mm, with plenty of room for expansion board including headphone, 3 DACs in the future (tbd) and possibly ZEN-CEN-SEN IV or equivalent.

BTW Nick, you should publish back plate design with expansion board and maybe a summary with expansion boards/ports 1 and 0 ?

Jean-Louis

Attachments

• Najda schéma JLP.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Face AV - v6.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Face AR - v2.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 156
Just to push the multichannel input request, a software modification as I recall, this thread nicely captures what I hope the Najda will accomplish;
ORION/PLUTO/LX521 Users Group • View topic - The DSP Challenge.

Specifically;
"One solution for surround sound (or multichannel audiophile sound from file or CD/DVD/Blu-ray) is to use multichannel from a computer via USB. On the Mac the VLC player will play multi-channel from a DVD.
The USB channels can be converted to SPDIF, TOSLINK or I2S.

One full surround potential USB solution including analog volume control, only two PCBs:

1. The $125 ten channel USBstreamer (24bit/192kHz) converts the USB channels to I2S (8 channels) or Toslink (one channel pair): http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud ... sbstreamer

2. The 245 Euros ten channel najda DSP/DAC/VolumeControl (24bit/192kHz) accepts 1coax+1 toslink SPDIF, up to 6 I2S inputs, 1 stereo analog input and has 8 analog outputs with analog volume control (or for use with external DACs 5 SPDIF channel pairs, or 6 I2S channels). It needs additional components (LCD, less, push-buttons, IR sensor, relay).
"

With six I2S inputs (expansion port 0), I expect that means the Najda can handle six channels, therefore 5.1 surround sound is possible. But that is incorrect is it not? Manual says Port 1 is "stereo input only for now", the six channels on port 0 being output only.

I've seen very nice things here lately, thanks all, Urban, Jean-Claude, Jean-Louis.
Special mention to Urban for his very nice PCBs. Ehm, would you have a small (big?) batch manufactured? I understood Jean-Claude would like one set, me too (I think I have a hundred of those switches in my drawer, 12x12 mm right? :D) and maybe some others?

BTW Nick, you should publish back plate design with expansion board and maybe a summary with expansion boards/ports 1 and 0 ?

Hi Jean-Louis, it's probably not a good idea to run wires from expansion ports to the rear panel. Indeed, I2S signals are not meant to travel 'long' distances. Keep the connections as short as you can (i.e. really short).

Just to push the multichannel input request, a software modification as I recall, this thread nicely captures what I hope the Najda will accomplish;
ORION/PLUTO/LX521 Users Group • View topic - The DSP Challenge.

Specifically;
"One solution for surround sound (or multichannel audiophile sound from file or CD/DVD/Blu-ray) is to use multichannel from a computer via USB. On the Mac the VLC player will play multi-channel from a DVD.
The USB channels can be converted to SPDIF, TOSLINK or I2S.

One full surround potential USB solution including analog volume control, only two PCBs:

1. The $125 ten channel USBstreamer (24bit/192kHz) converts the USB channels to I2S (8 channels) or Toslink (one channel pair): http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud ... sbstreamer

2. The 245 Euros ten channel najda DSP/DAC/VolumeControl (24bit/192kHz) accepts 1coax+1 toslink SPDIF, up to 6 I2S inputs, 1 stereo analog input and has 8 analog outputs with analog volume control (or for use with external DACs 5 SPDIF channel pairs, or 6 I2S channels). It needs additional components (LCD, less, push-buttons, IR sensor, relay).
"

With six I2S inputs (expansion port 0), I expect that means the Najda can handle six channels, therefore 5.1 surround sound is possible. But that is incorrect is it not? Manual says Port 1 is "stereo input only for now", the six channels on port 0 being output only.

So there are 6 channels on Expansion port 0 and 12 (!) channels on expansion port 1. They can all act as inputs or outputs (with some limitations), however some firmware and software support is required in order to achieve a certain goal.

Najda is still pretty young and I had to make decisions on what to do with these ports when I released the product. The obvious things I could imagine people would like to do were connecting a USB to I2S device and possibly DACs. We can reconfigure these ports differently, but I would need some input on what you guys are trying to achieve.

I'm getting many requests on making of Najda a multi-channel processing board. However, it's was designed as a stereo application board so expanding it to multi-channel raises several issues.

One is: what would you do with analogue and SPDIF ins, that are by nature stereo?

Second is: how many internal processing channels would you need? If you want a 5.0 setup, all 3-way, that's 15 processing channels. Najda currently has 10 only.

Lastly, how would you like to output these channels? Some channels are available as analogue, some as SPDIF and there is provision for more channels via I2S. But I don't think you'd like to run a system that takes a combination of all the above, that would be a mess. What I can think of is an expansion board with 3 more SPDIF outs (6 channels) so you get 16 outputs in total. Another option would be 6 more analogue outs for a total of 14 analogue outs, but this might not be enough?

No right channel is silent.

So the left channel is playing on the left speaker, and the right speaker is silent, is that correct? What do the input level meters show?

Other news is that I'm currently overseas, so sorry for not showing up so often on this forum.

I'm in contact with Lucian (WaveIO), he's going to send me one of his boards and I'm going to send him one of mines, so rest reassured that we'll have the combo Najda/WaveIO work like a swiss clock.

Shaun is going to beta-test the custom biquad feature of the new release. Xav wrote an input routine which is happy with any of the files that we discussed some time ago (so it should be compatible with REW and spreadheets). We'll talk about this again soon.