DSP Xover project (part 2)

When the analog expansion will be available again ?

We have discussed this via email, it's on the way.

What type of anti aliasing filter will you use?

I'm looking at FIR and ASRC.

I keep getting the same problem that the i2S input is not showing up as an option to choose in the menu. I am not able to select the i2S (WaveIO).

I checked I bridged pin 13 to pin 10, IS_EXT1\ to DGND. Several times I was able to connect it and listen and enjoy music. I2S was always there when I use the Standby switch.
But when I disconnect Najda from mains AC and start it up again. It has lost the selection option i2S. Then after a lot attempts switching it on/off with and without STBY and or Mains it shows up rarely and for no obvious reason.

I don't know what's wrong, maybe, I hope, someone has an idea to solve the problem.
A quick explanation on how this works might help you to debug your system.
When the Najda boots, it checks if pin IS_EXT1\ is tied to ground. If yes, then the expansion is added to the list of inputs. Otherwise, the expansion doesn't appear in that list.
As you can see, that's a very simple process, there's no such thing like 'detecting the expansion' and the process is the same whether the Najda is waking from STDBY or booting on power up (although I again heavily recommend to use the StandBy state all the time).

In post # 18 you mentioned about your first product "The light version would have no analogue volume control, and volume would be handled digitally in that case". Will this new version have digitally controlled volume of the digital domain as I want to use external dacs tied directly to my amps thus having a volume control in the digital domain not analogue is desirable.

The original plan was indeed to make the CS3318 optional, but there was very little demand for this lighter version, so I only ever manufactured a prototype.
However, there's one misunderstanding. The on-board DACs actually include a digital volume function, which is put in use in the light version. There's volume on the digital outputs, irrespective of CS3318 assembled or not.

There was quite a lot of demand for adding a volume to digital outputs. That puzzles me: I don't see the point of adding a super DAC if it's fed with truncated data.

Hi
good day
are this chip need to write program for it?
i can write program for LPC ARM MCU
is it different with DSP programing ?

Not sure I understand this one :) The board comes with a firmware and a PC control application. There's no programming involved with the use of Najda.

Balanced to unbalanced converter

Update on my balanced to unbalanced converter. Since Najda is unbalanced IN, I was previously running a 20' long unbalanced interconnect from my pre-amp. But my preamp has also balanced outputs...
Finally, I made a "balanced to unbalanced" converter using a pair of Jensen JT-11P-1 transformers. This surpassed all my expectations and the sound I am getting out of Najda is a significant step up. Actually this took the sound of my system to a level I did not experience before.

Pros:
1. Obviously, no more hum and noise that was picked up by 20' unbalanced cables.
2. Clearer sound. Softer and more dynamic at the same time.
3. More extended highs.
4. Every aspect of the sound seems to be a step up.
5. Classier and more sophisticated sound for a lack of better description

Cons:
1. Added cost of two Jensen transformers

To be fair, a good quality set of long unbalanced interconnects will probably cost more than the pair of Jensen transformers. So this solution is highly recommended for anyone who is considering going balanced IN to Najda.
Herman

Weird Display Problem

My Najda has developed a slightly strange display problem where some of the characters are corrupted and not displayed correctly. I have attached some pics to show what I mean.

It was not like this when I first built it but seems to have happened after I have connected Najda to a computer. My laptop likes to go to sleep and when this happens while connected to Najda it seems to cause some strange effects and DSP overloads.

Is there a way to reload the firmware from NUC to see if this clears the problem or do you have any other ideas on what could be causing it?

It is not a huge deal as my preferred input is Exp 1 which is not affected but I would like to fix it up if I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 496
Also, is it safe to swap input pair of LM833 opamps with OPA2134? Has anyone tried this?

Just replied by email.
Basically, when replacing opamps, you need to check that the new part is compatible with Najda's rails (+/- 12V) and that the pinout is identical to the original part. That's true most of the time.
With the above checks, you're safe at the electronic level - i.e. no risk to fry anything. However, it might not behave properly, so keep initially the volume low so as not to damage your speakers.

My Najda has developed a slightly strange display problem where some of the characters are corrupted and not displayed correctly. I have attached some pics to show what I mean.

It was not like this when I first built it but seems to have happened after I have connected Najda to a computer. My laptop likes to go to sleep and when this happens while connected to Najda it seems to cause some strange effects and DSP overloads.

Oops! That is weird :) Probably a bug introduced when I made the source labels customizable. I'll check what's going on and fix that.
In the meantime, see if you can overwrite the labels in NUC (Settings -> Display Options).

You should not let your laptop go to sleep while a session is ongoing. It's like you're sitting with a mate, having coffees and you're telling something, and your mate is suddenly falling asleep on the table. Not good :)
Anyway, I'll see if the Najda can detect that the Host is going to sleep mode, that's not obvious.

I've finally received the new PCBs, that's HW revision 1.3. Going to assembly this month.

PCB_v13.jpg

Is there a way to reload the firmware from NUC to see if this clears the problem or do you have any other ideas on what could be causing it?

It is not a huge deal as my preferred input is Exp 1 which is not affected but I would like to fix it up if I can.

I just had a similar issue with my najda. The display was getting corrupted and also had heavy overload cpu usage and issues connecting to the NUC software. I found the problem to be some solder bridging 2 pins of the chip where the usb gets connected. Desoldered it and all was good again. Looks like it was disrupting the data transfer to the board and who knows what else.

Oops! That is weird :) Probably a bug introduced when I made the source labels customizable. I'll check what's going on and fix that.
In the meantime, see if you can overwrite the labels in NUC (Settings -> Display Options).

I should have tried changing it myself in the software first!

For some reason Analogue was blank in NUC. I changed all the labels and now they read properly.

Might be worth putting a line in the guide to avoid letting a computer go to sleep while connected to NUC seems to do weird things.

Thanks

Decimation will be introduced with the new NUC, compatible with all boards.
Had you find solution for problem I reported times ago when NUC deleted some wrong EQ section/biquad when I deleting biquads from NUC: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...p-xover-project-part-2-a-190.html#post3822956
Last week when I again changed EQ setting with NUC 1.1.0, I get same problem again, this time no maximum 15 biquad settings was used on channel, but only 10. Meanwhile I had changed the PC I used, OS is same Win 7 32 bit and problem is same.
Seems nfs file editing had some problems in numbering biquad sets so that what I see on NUC is not always same what is save to nfs file.

Last edited:
I've received many emails asking about the availability of the new hardware revision. I've received today pictures of the first boards that were finished at the assembling plant. I think it looks good :)

NajdaV13a.jpg

NajdaV13b.jpg

As you can see, audio connectors were not assembled because that's a frequent request. One special feature about the assembling, is that through-hole components are wave soldered (vs. manually soldered on previous batches). The benefit of wave soldering is that all joints are clean and trouble-free.
Another change you can note is the use of tulip-style sockets for the opamps.

Analogue expansions will follow next ;)

Hello.
Two questions:
If I remember it right there was a plan to increase the number of digital I2s
output connections, was that made ? If not, is it still planned ?

I was fumbling around a bit with "Rephase" trying to create a fir-filter but it
seems that I'm running out of taps to soon. As far as I can see there is only
1023 taps available for each channel and there is no way of reallocating them.
Is this correctly understood ?