DSP Xover project (part 2)

I need to have a feel of what proportion of boards should get the analogue volume chip mounted on it, so I'd like to ask you whether you would prefer a board with the CS3318, or without that chip in order to save about USD 40. (If there's no analogue volume chip, the DACs are in charge of the volume control in digital domain - so there's still volume control, no worries).

Just to confirm,

even if the analogue gain chips are fitted the board can still be used as digital only?

ie.
digital inputs -> dsp -> digital gain -> digital out

All right, I enlist for a board with the CS3318. I'm quite new to posting here but I've followed this thread with interest. Exciting!

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll take a complete board :) Have you decided on what op-amps to use ?
If I'm using opamps at all I kind of like the "LT 1361".

Another vote for CS3318! Just a reminder: Opamps are all on sockets. Swapping for all of them takes 1 minute :)

Just to confirm,

even if the analogue gain chips are fitted the board can still be used as digital only?

ie.

No, the volume takes place only on the analogue path. If you transfer audio digitally, you want to keep all of the resolution so that you can present to your DACs an optimally scaled signal. Isn't it what you're looking for?

We can talk more in detail about this if you wish, because it's indeed a tricky topic, sort of a brain-teaser.

What about adding a poll?

I didn't think about it. Actually I'm not sure it's possible to add a poll within a thread, so I'd suggest we keep it simple and informal. As I said, it's just to help me in the process of ordering the chips and the PCB assembly. The CS3318 is by far the most expensive chip on the board: about USD 29 for a unit at Digikey, still USD 20 if you get 100 of them.

CS3318-CQZ Cirrus Logic Inc | 598-1180-ND | DigiKey

So far: analogue volume 2 vs. no analogue volume 0 :D

So if one is going to use this as subwoofer managment for a Behringer DCX replacement without volume is needed. Correct? Each channel has a gain function. Am I correct?

I apologize but I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Each analogue out has indeed volume control - whether there's the chip (CS3318) installed or not. There's a master volume which is for all channels, and there's an individual volume for adjusting relative channel settings.

Thanks all for your feedback!

So that makes now Analogue volume 6 vs. no Analogue volume 0

I didn't expect this, given that one can add the chip anytime if he feels the need (provided he's not afraid of soldering small pitch SMD).

The analogue volume chip has another benefit beside performing volume in the analogue domain. Indeed, it lets you set the nominal output level and hence supply an appropriate signal to your amp. Without the chip, the nominal output level is 1 Vrms.

So if one is going to use this as subwoofer managment for a Behringer DCX replacement without volume is needed. Correct? Each channel has a gain function. Am I correct?

I read again your post and I saw the light this time ;)

Now that I understood your question, yes I can confirm you're right: the board will perform nicely without the volume chip. The fact you're managing the signals to your loudspeakers elsewhere means that you have another way to control the master volume - so indeed you wouldn't need the expensive CS3318. Again, if you feel later the need of that chip because you've changed your system for example, you can just solder it on the board and it's automatically taken care of.

Thanks all for your feedback!
I read again your post and I saw the light this time ;)

Now that I understood your question, yes I can confirm you're right: the board will perform nicely without the volume chip. The fact you're managing the signals to your loudspeakers elsewhere means that you have another way to control the master volume - so indeed you wouldn't need the expensive CS3318. Again, if you feel later the need of that chip because you've changed your system for example, you can just solder it on the board and it's automatically taken care of.

OK. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for clarification. :)

Just to confirm,

ie.

Wow I didn't understand that one neither yesterday :rolleyes:

Yes sure, even with the analogue chip fitted you can use the board digital only. The analogue volume chip doesn't affect anything happening on the digital signal path. Sorry about the confusion.

Chapark, since the CS3318 will be controlled through the I2C bus, could be possible to control the volume of some external DAC like BuffaloII/III?

CS3318 is actually controlled through SPI.
Both SPI and I2C are however available on the expansion ports.
At this stage there's no volume control for an external device, the main reason being that there's no standard for this: each chip has different addresses for the registers that hold the volume values, and these values are interpreted differently.
In a later release however if there's such a request, we can look at it and see how we can make it possible for a specific chip. Stay tuned :)

CS3318 is actually controlled through SPI.
Both SPI and I2C are however available on the expansion ports.
At this stage there's no volume control for an external device, the main reason being that there's no standard for this: each chip has different addresses for the registers that hold the volume values, and these values are interpreted differently.
In a later release however if there's such a request, we can look at it and see how we can make it possible for a specific chip. Stay tuned :)

when you say a later release you are talking about HW or SW?

I'm considering to go the same way as "qusp" with the "Ackodac's" but
maybe not for all channels so this is getting better and better (if it will work) :)

Will it be possible to adress 4 output-channels to I2S and the remaining 4
to the analog output section. Or is there signal sent both ways for all channels
at all times?

Here's a summary of what's available in terms of outputs.
Inside the DSP, there are 10 output channels internally.
- All channels 1 to 10 are on SPDIF outputs.
- Channels 1 to 8 are available also on analogue outs.
- There are 2 expansion ports with I2S. They are different but for now it's enough to know that one port can carry up to 6 channels, and the second port can carry up to 12 channels. You can assign to the I2S lines any channel 1 -> 10.