XLR attenuation on SRC2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have an SRC2496. I am currently experimenting with it between my CDP and DAC for upsampling only. I'd like to just take the output from the SRC2496. I have tried its XLR output using XLR to phono converter plugs and the old Technics 900MK2 can handle the 3.5v output, but it makes the amp hot.

I have seen on ebay XLR attenuation plugs in three sizes, 10db, 15db, and 20db.

It is my understanding that I want to take the 3.5v line level output of the SRC2496 andf make it a more normal 2v line level.

I don't think any of these attenuation plugs do this? Or would they? What would give me my desired outcome?

I presume you are actually talking about the DCX2496 yeah? the SRC2496 is an i2s input sample rate convertor chip by Texas Instruments and does not have an analogue output, it outputs i2s digital and only when its actually in a design, does nothing by itself. the DCX has this chip in it, but it has nothing to do with the DAC/analogue output stage

Hi, my question is much more basic than that (I know this forum tends to be for more experienced users). Plus I got some info wrong and probably didn't explain myself properly.

I am experimenting with the Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro.

I am currently outputting from my CDP via SPDIF to the Ultramatch Pro then to a SMSL 2496 1794 DAC. I know, sounds hideous. I'd like to use the L-R analog outs of the Behringer, but they are high? at +16dbu? Certainly it sounds high, with very little movemnt of the amplifier volume knob resulting in max volume.

Should I, can I attenuate the output? If I did this with attenuator XLR sockets, what dbu attenuation whould I be aiming for?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
XLR/RCA adaptor plugs have an internal short between pin 1 and pin 2 or 3 (I can't remember which) which the Behringer senses and adjusts gain to be 6db higher. You need to perform surgery on your XLR/RCA adaptor plugs to remove that short. That will yield 6db of "attenuation" and might solve your issue. If not, you'll need to add further attenuation outboard.

Cheers,

Dave.

rane has a big tutorial .....

also you can get some transformers ,I used some for line matching from edcor.com ,You can also make a t pad with resistors and add a volume control to drop the gain down to a better level you will need 2 to stay balanced ,or go to esp sound products and get a attenuator board and build it ! Rane shows how to go single ended if you need to and use one pot for volume control.....ESP also has board for single in to balanced and balanced back to single ,so there's a bunch of ways to go:D:)

Keep at it you will get it !!!!!!!!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have seen on ebay XLR attenuation plugs in three sizes, 10db, 15db, and 20db.

It is my understanding that I want to take the 3.5v line level output of the SRC2496 andf make it a more normal 2v line level.

I don't think any of these attenuation plugs do this? Or would they? What would give me my desired outcome?

A 10dB attenuator attenuates about 1:3 so your 3.5V gets down to about 1.15. That is all you need; you still will have to turn down the level to avoid blowing your speakers, even if the theoretical max level is 1.15V instead of 2V.

But did you try un-attenuated? The difference between 3.5 and 2 is not that much and is easily compensated with the volume control, provided the 3.5 doesn't overdrive anything. You actually may not even have a problem at all.

jan didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.