Anyone have some info on the UltraAnalog DEMO 1 Board? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone have some info on the UltraAnalog DEMO 1 Board?

In addition to their well-regarded D20400 DAC module, UltraAnalog also made other A/D modules including an AFE20048 Analog Front End and D20C10 "Decimator". They also made a DEMO 1 board to mount these on - and "play with".

I came across the DEMO board and wish to continue "playing". Anyone out there have any info on these other chips or the DEMO board? I've tried searching the web but as others have mentioned; after being sold to Wadia, the company disappeared.

Thank You

Charles

Last edited by stellavox; 24th May 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I have some of the chip sets (4 sets I think), but no schematic. There's the front-end chip (not a module), the decimator IC and some 0.01% resistor networks. PM me if interested.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Abraxalito

Was able to get the A/D board going - now to figure out what to do with it. Has AES and SPDIF digital outputs along with an analog "monitor" output from a D20400 D/A module. Unit was from the Chesky studio.

Charles
Old 1st January 2013, 08:02 PM   #4
nat8808 is offline nat8808  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wadia produced an A/D studio unit at around the time they bought out Ultraanalog - have seen one on ebay a little while ago.

Dan Lavry designed the UltraAnalog stuff - his own company. He MAY be willing to help you out perhaps - he should be contactable via Lavry Engineering website and he also used the gearslutz.com forum sometimes as himself.

Interesting bits it sounds like you have. I imagine Chesky Studios would have some very interesting kit, some bespoke/experiemental in the quest for sound quality. Probably a great sounding A/D for recording if now a little limited in format.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Chesky's A/D sucks - introduces noise modulation. I didn't notice this until I built my own NOS DAC but now its very obvious on their 'Ultimate Demonstration Disc' - the announcer's voice for example has smearing, the other tracks lack the dynamics of my best CDs (Decca, Mercury Living Presence, BIS, some DG, old CBS/Sony).
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Chesky used some kind of dbx engineered noise-shaped oversampling in their A/D back in 1989.

Here's journalistic report from some magazine: http://www.technofileonline.com/texts/chesky89.html

Last edited by nat8808; 2nd January 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yep, Bob Adams designed it when he was at dbx, this became the basis for the UltraAnalog ADC. Later, Bob Adams joined ADI.
Old 16th April 2014, 12:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Almost bought a Philip Drake A/D D/A distro amp, tv studio system on ebay which went for just 60..

Had 4 cards of A/D with 2 x UltraAnalog ADC and 4 cards of 1 x UltraAnalog.

Something to check for on ebay, Drake equipment. Didn't know until afterwards that the chips were on it.
Old 16th April 2014, 01:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So... Yes, I have the DEMO 1 board Datasheet.

UltraAnalog D20400 DATA ! I have it all !!

Hide this!Advertise here!