DIY Valve DAC Help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Valve DAC Help!

Hey just like to start by apologising about my complete lack of knowledge about this. I have orderd a DIY valve dac from eBay. And I think I have bitten of a bit to much then I can chew.

I'm starting to but it together from the pictures on eBay but what I'm not sure on are little pictured parts all the same (see I don't even know there name) as I'm trying to much the pictures and they don't seem to have the same colours?
Click the image to open in full size.

Any help about first time Audio DIY would be biiiiiiiiig help
Old 22nd May 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvefan View Post
Any help about first time Audio DIY would be biiiiiiiiig help

Those are resistors.
If you can't recognize them I suggest you read some tutorials on DIY electronic circuits before you start assembling the DAC.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No, those resistors are not all the same. The color bands are a code which denotes the ohmic value of each resistor. It is critical that you place the correct value resistor in the correct location or disaster will likely result. It is easy to misread the color code if you're not used to doing this. You can also determine resistor values by measuring them with the ohms funtion of an multimeter, which is a less error prone method for the absolute beginner. If you don't possess an multimeter - get one.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 22nd May 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Definitely get a multimeter, and even if parts are labelled check them anyway. And yeah... you should have at least a basic idea of circuits before assembling, especially with the voltage a tube carries.
Old 30th May 2012, 02:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
No, those resistors are not all the same. The color bands are a code which denotes the ohmic value of each resistor. It is critical that you place the correct value resistor in the correct location or disaster will likely result. It is easy to misread the color code if you're not used to doing this. You can also determine resistor values by measuring them with the ohms funtion of an multimeter, which is a less error prone method for the absolute beginner. If you don't possess an multimeter - get one.
A very large number of men have poor colour vision. I never even try to read resistor codes. Medical pipework is a nightmare...

Beware lots of bargain-store multimeters aren't safe to use at high voltages even if they can measure them. Probes at least should be of good quality to be safe with typical valve voltages.

Ian
Old 30th May 2012, 02:46 AM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

scary!

I would echo the request ti please get a decent multimeter and learn to identify components before you even start. capacitor polarity, resistor values etc etc wit anything less than the respect it deserves around tube voltages is crazy

Last edited by qusp; 30th May 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!