DIY Valve DAC Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey just like to start by apologising about my complete lack of knowledge about this. I have orderd a DIY valve dac from eBay. And I think I have bitten of a bit to much then I can chew.

I'm starting to but it together from the pictures on eBay but what I'm not sure on are little pictured parts all the same (see I don't even know there name) as I'm trying to much the pictures and they don't seem to have the same colours?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any help about first time Audio DIY would be biiiiiiiiig help

No, those resistors are not all the same. The color bands are a code which denotes the ohmic value of each resistor. It is critical that you place the correct value resistor in the correct location or disaster will likely result. It is easy to misread the color code if you're not used to doing this. You can also determine resistor values by measuring them with the ohms funtion of an multimeter, which is a less error prone method for the absolute beginner. If you don't possess an multimeter - get one.

Last edited:
No, those resistors are not all the same. The color bands are a code which denotes the ohmic value of each resistor. It is critical that you place the correct value resistor in the correct location or disaster will likely result. It is easy to misread the color code if you're not used to doing this. You can also determine resistor values by measuring them with the ohms funtion of an multimeter, which is a less error prone method for the absolute beginner. If you don't possess an multimeter - get one.

A very large number of men have poor colour vision. I never even try to read resistor codes. Medical pipework is a nightmare...

Beware lots of bargain-store multimeters aren't safe to use at high voltages even if they can measure them. Probes at least should be of good quality to be safe with typical valve voltages.

Ian

scary!

I would echo the request ti please get a decent multimeter and learn to identify components before you even start. capacitor polarity, resistor values etc etc wit anything less than the respect it deserves around tube voltages is crazy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.