Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the past few weeks, I spent lot of time to go through hundreds of pages of discussion regarding BIII, I2S, D1 and SSLV. It is difficult for me to remember or record every important notes for building, connecting or configuring all these modules. I open this thread is hoping the expert members can share their experience in building the BIII DAC with similar configuration.

I got Ian's Async I2S FIFO and is connecting with my WM8741, have GB the BIB and buying remaining components to build the SSLV for BIII and Legato, waiting for the delivery of BIII and hoping the GB for the NTD1 will be started soon. Casing will be the last task.

This will be my largest DIY project ever:D

Reviewed the BIII integration guide again and here is the SSLV arrangement:

5.25V 800mA for BIII + Sidecar + Teleporter
15V 500mA for Legato

So the BOM in addition to the GB are:
MUR820/40/60 x 12
10u 63V MKT x 6
220u 63V x 3
47u 63V x 3
10000u 63V x 3
270R x 6
47R x 3
1R x 6
3.5R 5W x 3
200R trimmer x 3
220R x 3
12V 10VA transformer
18-0-18V 20VA transformer

Some mistake on the quantities of capacitors, and to have more voltage margin for the SSLV, the transformers also changed:

MUR820 x 12
10u 63V MKT x 3
220u 63V x 3
10000u 63V x 3
270R x 6
47R x 3
1R x 6
3.5R 5W x 3
200R trimmer x 3
220R x 3
15V x 2 15VA transformer
24V x 2 30VA transformer

Please advise me if any error found, I will place order tomorrow.

Before placing those orders you should check the amount of heat you're going to have there I think.

Also are you planning on using the legato long term or the NTD1? The NTD1 has a regulator for the DAC built into the PSU section of its PCB, not sure if you noticed that or not so wanted you to know so that you don't burn money on gear you might not use.

Hi hochopeper

Thanks and appreciated your advice. My initial plan is use NTD1, but the GB for NTD1 won't be happened in the near future, I have no choice and sent another order for the legato. This temporary setup would cost me $250. I haven't order the additional components yet, suggestions are welcome. May be just simply use LT regulator for this temporary setup!

yes he has, quite clearly over a few posts; just yesterday and today he has confirmed hes putting the order in and he will send the USA + Canada to Pinocchio and the rest to me for us to distribute PCB ONLY.

wow its really strange, its like there is some sort of confusion field that surrounds group buy threads. people with normal comprehension skills suddenly cannot read, they post in the GB thread with their order by copying the list and adding their name, but fail to take note of information contained in other posts before or after theirs; often not even completely reading the first post or the page they post their order on.

for instance even though myself and hochopeper have pretty much filled every second post in the NTD1 thread over the last 4-5 pages with statements saying that I do not intend to supply matched fets to everyone, just a few people and with no commitment and even though nobody else has stepped up to do it, the names pile up with the order for PCB + fets. people only look at the list it seems, ive noticed this phenomenon over the last 4-5 group buys ive been involved in and its really quite staggering. it could almost form the basis of a psychology/human behavior thesis.

Last edited:
I understand that perfectly well, but sorry there is no way that can be used as an excuse for this. I posted it long ago, then posted that I may be able to find a few but was not making a commitment and was certainly not offering to do it for the whole group due to the time involved, I went to great lengths to explain it and what a nightmare it was last time.

then another few people added their name with fets, I clarified again that I wasnt offering them to the group but with the possibility of a just a few.... again, then more people added their orders (some native english speakers) then hochopeper stepped in to mention I wasnt offering them, then straight after his post 2 people edited the list to add fets to their orders and another person added a new order with fets, I laughed about it with opc in the thread, agreed and confirmed that hochopeper was correct, another one or 2 made orders for PCB plus fets and just now another person added an order for PCB + fets.

I dont know what else I can possibly do and its not just this GB, the wire headamp and power amp threads were the same, english or not, it doesnt matter people still post asking for PCBs to this day

Last edited:
FWIW, my trick to navigating any thread where PCBs are available or GBs are going on I generally click 'search this thread' at top of the page for the thread then advanced search and search for posts by the GB organiser by only populating the username field then clicking search so it finds every post by the GB organiser.

This method tends to avoid misinformation and confusion and gets the information I'm most interested in (what the GB organiser is saying is the single source of truth).

All good, I find some of the GB threads tend to have everyone circling like a pack of sharks wanting to get their hands on whatever is possible and it can quickly get out of hand and good information buried deep in a thread. Which is why I think its almost impossible to follow without tricks like using the search!

For calculations on the salas regs have you tried the spreadsheet attached to this post? I have found it quite handy and makes heatsink considerations a bit simpler also!

For calculations on the salas regs have you tried the spreadsheet attached to this post? I have found it quite handy and makes heatsink considerations a bit simpler also!

Yes, I am using the spreadsheet to calculate the resistors.

I won't build the 15V SSLV for the legato and will concentrate on sourcing components for the NTD1. THanks again for your advice and help.

Yesterday, ordered most of the components from Digikey. Now counting the transformers, two AN0540 + one AN0006 for the NTD1, I had the 12V 50VA for the BIII. May be another 6V for charging battery for FIFO.

Please tell me if I miss anything else. While waiting for the PCB + FET and BIII, will try to figure out the size of heat sinks. Won't consider the chassis unit everything get connected.

While trying to get some idea on the heat dissipation of the NTD1, I search OPC's build thread and found that I don't need the AN0006 transformer because I am not using the B1. Fortunately, I haven't ordered it yet. It is really a hard job to go through hundreds pages of post with new development everyday and have to ensure won't miss any important issue:-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.