Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to let you know that when I changed the XO frequency to 45.x 49.x on Ian's clocker, my es9023 subu board got shorted.

Diagnosis: the short came from the es9023 onboard 50mhz clock. Replaced the es9023 clock and replaced the reclcoker clock to 22.x 24.x and all OK now.

Not sure if this came from the high clock frequency but I think the max on Ian's board states 22.x 24.x

Note: the 45.x 49.x combo worked for about 10 seconds before the short was created.

tried test again and at about 9 seconds, the lights started to blink so I immediately unplugged. I then replaced with standard clocks and all OK again

Although I may be wrong

Just to let you know that when I changed the XO frequency to 45.x 49.x on Ian's clocker, my es9023 subu board got shorted.

Diagnosis: the short came from the es9023 onboard 50mhz clock. Replaced the es9023 clock and replaced the reclcoker clock to 22.x 24.x and all OK now.

Not sure if this came from the high clock frequency but I think the max on Ian's board states 22.x 24.x

Note: the 45.x 49.x combo worked for about 10 seconds before the short was created.

tried test again and at about 9 seconds, the lights started to blink so I immediately unplugged. I then replaced with standard clocks and all OK again

Although I may be wrong

Thanks necplusultra

Its great information. I power the BIII with only DVCC supply and the current start to raise from 2xmA to over 300mA after several seconds which is similar to what happened to your DAC. I didn't use Ian's clock board to drive the BIII, I only use Ian's adaptor with the original crystal on the adaptor.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Thanks necplusultra

Its great information. I power the BIII with only DVCC supply and the current start to raise from 2xmA to over 300mA after several seconds which is similar to what happened to your DAC. I didn't use Ian's clock board to drive the BIII, I only use Ian's adaptor with the original crystal on the adaptor.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Please just check if there is any short on the BIII u.fl input adapter board. I noticed there is a power pin from the BIII input port. You can find more details from BIII user's manual about the input port.

Please run BIII at async mode first for your new configuration, then the sync mode. Just make sure all the section is in working condition.

I am running 45.XXXMHZ and 49.XXXMHZ at BIII sync mode with my FIFO for more than two months, didn't get any problem.

I'll try 90.xxx and 98.xxx MHZ on BIII in a couple of day.

Believe you can make it.

Ian

Thanks DQ828 and Ian, but I didn't make it:(

The BIII behaved OK when I tested it with the bench PSU. Then I put it back onto the legato and connected the FIFO. Before that I checked all the output of the SSLV. Then power up, within seconds, the LED on the tridents blinking. Then I knew the same thing happened again. DVCC shorted to GND. :headbash:
Since there are only two ICs and one regulator on the BIII other than those passive components. The DVCC only connected to the ES9018. I can't think of any other source that kill the BIII and the only suspect is the legato. Will check tonight.

Already lost one third of a new BIII:(

That is really too bad. I feel your frustration. Hopefully the collective wisdom here can help you fix the problem

Although I may be wrong

That is really strange. Using the ESS chip in asynch mode, does not use the master clock, so the bitclock, LRclock and DATA are still the same frequency regardless of the frequency of the clock in the FIFO board

Please just check if there is any short on the BIII u.fl input adapter board. I noticed there is a power pin from the BIII input port. You can find more details from BIII user's manual about the input port.

Please run BIII at async mode first for your new configuration, then the sync mode. Just make sure all the section is in working condition.

I am running 45.XXXMHZ and 49.XXXMHZ at BIII sync mode with my FIFO for more than two months, didn't get any problem.

I'll try 90.xxx and 98.xxx MHZ on BIII in a couple of day.

Believe you can make it.

Ian

Hi Ian, did you try running 45.XXXMHZ and 49.XXXMHZ in asynch? and "I'll try 90.xxx and 98.xxx MHZ on BIII in a couple of day." is that with your new board?

Ian

I did not run the BIII in sync mode and tested it with everything disconnected (no u.fl adaptor). The BIII will overload all the tridents. Even the Crystek overload the XO trident. I have checked the legato and couldn't find anything that would kill the BIII. I have no idea how to trouble shoot it and may be it's time to let it RIP:(

Hi Ian, did you try running 45.XXXMHZ and 49.XXXMHZ in asynch? and "I'll try 90.xxx and 98.xxx MHZ on BIII in a couple of day." is that with your new board?

90.xxx and 98.xxx MHZ will be running from my new designed Si370 based clock board with 2048*Fs support.

What I mean the sync mode is feeding the MCLK from FIFO clock board to ESS9018 with local XO disconnected. I ran async mode (ASRC mode) only with local 100MHz CCHD XO . Maybe I can try 45.xxx and 49.xxx as local XO. But they may not be as good as the 100Mhz.

Regards

Ian

Ian

I bought some good stuffs for your clock board, rubber ring and u.fl. jumper with silver plated RG178 cable. Good but very cheap. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 573
bigpandahk

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question re the screen you are using & I have purchased. I want to display a Bitmap/Converted JPG but I am having trouble getting it to display.

Once I convert the Jpg, where do I put the file.

Can I display a bitmap file without conversion.

Assume I use this code to reference the file extern "unsigned int File name[????] what goes in the brackets?

How do I call the file into the code ie drawBitmap(file name)

Does the bit map need to be a certian Bit Depth?

bigpandahk

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question re the screen you are using & I have purchased. I want to display a Bitmap/Converted JPG but I am having trouble getting it to display.

Once I convert the Jpg, where do I put the file.

Can I display a bitmap file without conversion.

Assume I use this code to reference the file extern "unsigned int File name[????] what goes in the brackets?

How do I call the file into the code ie drawBitmap(file name)

Does the bit map need to be a certian Bit Depth?

Sorry DQ828

I still can't properly display a bitmap onto the screen, only part of it. I always get the "file too large" message.

Just reporting back my clock problem.

root cause was the 45.x clock. removed the 100nf caps on both 45.x and 49.x and all working.

probably caused by an accident on my bench but not too sure at this point. It does not make sense that this cause a blown clock on the ess board.

hope you resolve your problem bigpandahk

I'm following this thread closely cause I have a dual Biii coming up.
Want to use the hifiduino cause it inspired me for my dcb1 control unit.

regards.

root cause was the 45.x clock. removed the 100nf caps on both 45.x and 49.x and all working.

probably caused by an accident on my bench but not too sure at this point. It does not make sense that this cause a blown clock on the ess board.

regards.

The greatest thing in this forum is everyone share their experiences and help each other. Let's enjoy DIY.

regards.

Good to hear. Make sure you have static protection. Happy to hear you got inspired by hifiduino :)

The arduino code is easy to use. I refactored the hifiduino into a more object-oriented approach. I kind of made it hardware independant. That is, a volume class is to control volume regardless of which input device is used (apple remote or push button). The underlying device code is just bound in as a library. It made it easier to bind to new controlling devices like , for instance, the DCB1 controller. It also makes it easier to add in new i/o devices. IE: My next step is to control hifiduino through the USB port. I already have the prorotype in a vs2010 project. I merely need to give it a UI and its done.

kind regards.

The main problem is when converting the bitmap to C code, there are several parameters but without information on how to set them. We have to try and error.

I was converting jpg to C code but tried saving the file as a png & then converted to C, it loaded but & displayed but did not display 100%. The images have to be very limited in size, a seemingly small file (in today's terms) is too big when converted. When the file is too large, they normally wont compile.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.