Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2012, 10:57 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
I'm sure you'll become an expert after you fix your BIII .

Ian
I learnt a lot from experts here (of course including you, Ian) but also paid a lot

This is my first time handling SMT devices. Remove the chip is easy but putting the new chip onto the board should be a lot difficult
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:45 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Practice make perfect. I like to use a lot of flux when doing SMD, especially 'spider' IC, a magnifier and small flat tips soldering iron help a lot. Search for the technique in YouTube. It is fun.
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:07 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhead View Post
Practice make perfect. I like to use a lot of flux when doing SMD, especially 'spider' IC, a magnifier and small flat tips soldering iron help a lot. Search for the technique in YouTube. It is fun.
Yes, finding some video from youtube would be help.

Keep the old solder paste on pads, try this one: SMD29130CC Chip Quik Inc | SMD29130CC-ND | DigiKey

place your new chip exactly on position, with a little metal piece pressed on top, then your SMT station. I'm sure it will be perfect job.

Ian
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:43 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Coolhead

Thanks very much for your advice.

Ian

I've bought the Chip Quik as per your suggestion. The chip will be delivered tomorrow and hope I have good news to tell.
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:03 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Coolhead

Thanks very much for your advice.

Ian

I've bought the Chip Quik as per your suggestion. The chip will be delivered tomorrow and hope I have good news to tell.
After you put in the new chip, make sure you check the pins if the short is still there before power on.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:19 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After you put in the new chip, make sure you check the pins if the short is still there before power on.
Yes Sir
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:18 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Received the chip today and put it onto the PCB. To align all the pins is not a easy task. A little press will move it away. I finally use the soldiering iron to fix two pins then use the SMT station. The hot air blowed away one of the capacitor on the PCB and I can't find it.
Measure the resistance between DVCC and GND, > 1.2Kohm. everything seems fine.
Put back all the tridents, connect it to the bench PSU. Power up, all LEDs on including the "Mute". Current is around 650mA.
But after a few seconds, the "Mute" LED off and occasionally flash. I measure the output voltages of the tridents, both DVCC and VDD output are below 0.4V.
Seems something still short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1422.jpg (585.2 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1427.jpg (552.5 KB, 454 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:49 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Received the chip today and put it onto the PCB. To align all the pins is not a easy task. A little press will move it away. I finally use the soldiering iron to fix two pins then use the SMT station. The hot air blowed away one of the capacitor on the PCB and I can't find it.
Measure the resistance between DVCC and GND, > 1.2Kohm. everything seems fine.
Put back all the tridents, connect it to the bench PSU. Power up, all LEDs on including the "Mute". Current is around 650mA.
But after a few seconds, the "Mute" LED off and occasionally flash. I measure the output voltages of the tridents, both DVCC and VDD output are below 0.4V.
Seems something still short.
You should pull out tridents and separate test it out with separate 5v power supply. You should test out other modules also, it could be more problem. You could be un-doing all the hardworking without testing out every module, 1 faulty module could create the same chain reaction.
Old 24th August 2012, 06:06 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should pull out tridents and separate test it out with separate 5v power supply. You should test out other modules also, it could be more problem. You could be un-doing all the hardworking without testing out every module, 1 faulty module could create the same chain reaction.
I've tested all the tridents before put it back to the BIII. I don't know the way forward, whether buy a new BIII or spend more time and money to trouble shoot the BIII
Old 24th August 2012, 09:02 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

I have no idea how Ian's adapter is designed and if it automatically disables the onboard power for the clock, One of the Tridents feeds the onboard clock crystal. If you are feeding an external masterclock signal I would expect that the Trident and supply to the onboard crystal needs to be disconnected. Hope this helps.
David

Last edited by ihear21khz; 24th August 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!