Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2012, 01:29 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I received the BIII kits yesterday, a big surprise. Spent several hours for the soldering and install heatsink for the SSLVs. The most difficult part is solder 3 FL. sockets at the back of the buffalo. Finally, I have music from the BIII!!! Will connect the Arduino tomorrow.

Temperature on the SSLVs are still too high (close to 60 deg).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.jpg (690.7 KB, 1084 views)
Old 9th June 2012, 03:21 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Connected the rotary decoder and IR sensor to the Arduino, changed the pin assignment in the program as follow:

#define VOLUPPIN 9 // Button to increase volume or RotEnc A terminal
#define VOLDOWNPIN 11 // Button to decrease volume or RotEnc B terminal
#define SELECTPIN 12 // Switch to select function
// #define BRIPIN 6 // Pin to control the LCD brightness with analogWrite
#define REMOTEPIN 10 // Pin for IR receiver (remote control)

The selectpin function properly, remote pin can sense the signal from Apple Remote but not function as expected. No function on VolumeUP and DOWN pins. Have checked several time but still don't know what goes wrong. Can anyone give me a hand???

Connect to BIII via I2C, seems no control to BIII, how can I verify I2C output from Arduino?
Old 9th June 2012, 03:57 PM   #43
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ermm have you set up the arduino with the correct protocols and commands to issue the hexidecimal commands to the buff III including starting with the hex/i2c address of the particular dac/s?
Old 9th June 2012, 04:01 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
ermm have you set up the arduino with the correct protocols and commands to issue the hexidecimal commands to the buff III including starting with the hex/i2c address of the particular dac/s?
I use the same code from HIFIDUINO which is for BII, which should be compatible with BIII as mentioned in other thread.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:07 PM   #45
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

well maybe, that depends as being multichannel its possible they have handled it somewhat differently wrt address. hard for us to help much based on the above though tbh. how about posting your query to the man who designed the code?
Old 9th June 2012, 04:17 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
well maybe, that depends as being multichannel its possible they have handled it somewhat differently wrt address. hard for us to help much based on the above though tbh. how about posting your query to the man who designed the code?
Good suggestion, will try, thanks.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:42 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

spending whole day for debugging, solve the apple remote issue, don't know why the code sent from my apple remote is different from the code from HiFiDUNIO. Now can control the volume Up / Down using Apple Remote but the Mute function still not function properly.

I also realize that Arduino Mega 2560 I2C pins are 20 & 21 instead of 4 & 5 as remarked in the program. I rewire the I2C but still can't control the BIII, use the scope to check the signal and found that signal from Arduino are pulled high by BIII. I hope it is not something failure on BIII.
Old 11th June 2012, 02:44 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks for HIFIDUNIO's advice, I solved the rotary encoder's problem. Also debugged the Apple Remote "Mute" function.

Ordered the I2C level converter. As I will use Ian's FIFO SPDIF and WaveIO as input, need further modification on the Arduino for input selection and display. Hope can receive the WaveIO and NTD1 PCB within this month, but still have no idea on the case and VFD.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:05 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Finally, the Arduino connected with the BIII and function well. It's time to find a proper casing and decide whether use this color TFT or VFD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1284.jpg (695.5 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1285.jpg (695.6 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (704.2 KB, 736 views)
Old 17th June 2012, 03:08 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Today, I replaced all heaksinks for the SSLVs with much larger one. Before finding a suitable case for all the components, I have to figure out the best layout. After several trial, finally I come up with this as shown in the picture. I never expected I need such big size case with so many heatsink for a DAC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1300.jpg (799.4 KB, 734 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!