Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 07:15 AM   #441
DQ828 is online now DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm almost scared to ask this question, here goes

If SPDIF is normally sent on an 75ohm cable why are we using 50ohm internally.

I realise that it's not just the SPDIF they are being used for.

By the way I'm getting cheaper prices (than Digikey) at Mouser for the Emerson cables & connectors if you buy in US dollars.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:43 AM   #442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Please show me waveform of all three SCK and WS and SD signals form S/PDIF board I2S output port when you switch to optical input.

Ian
Ian

All three signals, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F0003TEK.JPG (110.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg F0004TEK.JPG (91.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg F0005TEK.JPG (98.5 KB, 194 views)
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:36 PM   #443
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I'm almost scared to ask this question, here goes

If SPDIF is normally sent on an 75ohm cable why are we using 50ohm internally.

I realise that it's not just the SPDIF they are being used for.

By the way I'm getting cheaper prices (than Digikey) at Mouser for the Emerson cables & connectors if you buy in US dollars.
yeah but you lose the free shipping (for $200 orders) if you do that at mouser, its a case by case basis whether its cheaper overall.

where is spdif being used on these cables? i2s is being used on these cables mostly. besides its all about the cable and the termination, not the signal

50 or even 100 ohms is used for both internal and external coax for data or instrumentation cables as well. as long as its consistent, or an appropriate transformer is used to interface 2 different types, its all good.

normally 75ohms is used for external spdif (BNC) use, with 50ohms internally, but with fifo its all i2s carried on 50ohms uBNC

Last edited by qusp; 23rd January 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:48 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah but you lose the free shipping (for $200 orders) if you do that at mouser, its a case by case basis whether its cheaper overall.

where is spdif being used on these cables? i2s is being used on these cables mostly. besides its all about the cable and the termination, not the signal

50 or even 100 ohms is used for both internal and external coax for data or instrumentation cables as well. as long as its consistent, or an appropriate transformer is used to interface 2 different types, its all good.

normally 75ohms is used for external spdif (BNC) use, with 50ohms internally, but with fifo its all i2s carried on 50ohms uBNC
I guess the question is more applicable to me as the new BIIISE I have a a place for a 50ohm connector on the SPDIF input

I didn't realise how small the suckers where until I saw the one that already on the BIIISE Ext MCLK input.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:52 PM   #445
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess the question is more applicable to me as the new BIIISE I have a a place for a 50ohm connector on the SPDIF input

I didn't realise how small the suckers where until I saw the one that already on the BIIISE Ext MCLK input.
It is still terminated as 75-ohms, however.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:03 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah they are...I first ran into them when installing a wireless module in a laptop some years back.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:59 PM   #447
diyAudio Member

they really arent that small or difficult to deal with, guess you havent seen w.fl as used on most of the ackodacs? less than 1/2 the size
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:03 PM   #448
diyAudio Member

I made a video on how to solder them, if it's any help...

Hand-soldering u.fl connectors - YouTube
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:20 PM   #449
diyAudio Member

good one Brian, they are easier to solder than some other parts these guys are soldering, so once the mental barrier is overcome the body and technique takes over. one thing I would say is dont use the add solder to tip, then touch to connection method, it would be too easy to get a little bit on the rim of the connector. If you do, that can be cleaned off mostly if its on the outside; with some braid and flux, but best avoided as can make the shape and thus impedance of the connection incorrect. It can also damage the cables.

also curved tweezers are recommended

flux is your friend
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:27 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
It is still terminated as 75-ohms, however.
Is there a mini 75ohm cable/connector you can recommend to take from the to BIII SE SPDIF input to the OTTO & then on to the BNC connector that will be on the rear panel? Or should I just stick with the 50ohm

thanks for the video link

What sort of temperature are you using on the solder iron?

Last edited by DQ828; 23rd January 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!