Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 03:32 AM   #351
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
@AR2: your turn to be the evil 'temptress'
Ohhh, don't you hate that feel of thinking and tempting about...
Old 8th December 2012, 03:34 AM   #352
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah AR2 its you that is tipping me that way already =) I wont be finishing the AJX and therefor trying the babelfish J2 until I get some more heatsinks. i'm building a 4/6 channel or rather more likely 2 x 3 channel 'mono blocks' to house 'the wire' lateral fet AB amp and LPUHP first because i'm further down that track, but the Pass stuff will be trialed driving the mids and will need more heatsinks....I would also prefer to replace the Antek transformers I have.

so that stuff along with the F6 will be the second round trials, but I want to have a set of fully functional amps already before I start down that road.

I worry about getting more semisouth though. i've got 4 x matched R100 and 4 x matched R125, but thats not enough... i'm a little afraid of what I will have to pay for more now.
You are correct. That is one of the worst news I heard, that they are not going to produce any more of those power JFets.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:49 AM   #353
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
You are correct. That is one of the worst news I heard, that they are not going to produce any more of those power JFets.
yeah indeed, no more. I have enough to play with a single Aleph J using the R100 and enough R125 for the F6, but the babelfish presents a problem. i'm sure i'll be able to find some somewhere if I keep my ear to the ground, but $$$.

now of course if there is a new papafet/sit or papa-sanctioned jfet, everything will be ok. the patents and much of the semisouth equipment was retained by MIT and solar is not going away, just the industry and capital investment got ahead of itself, so there is still some hope, but its all up in the air. I have lots of matched lovoltech jfets, but so hard to get the heat out of those little suckers.

luckily time is something I have and i'm not stuck for options.

anyway this is OT, if I find some more fets i'll make sure to drop you a line about the babelfish
Old 16th December 2012, 10:04 AM   #354
diyAudio Member

No much progress in the last couple of weeks, received the 4700 regulator from Ian, soldered two but one failed. Ordered the regulator again from TI today and will try again.
I ordered a 9 output toroidal transformer, looks very good quality.
received the Potato 74 and will follown HiFiduino to modify the Amanero. Will order more to try the sync mod with BIII Master Clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0766.jpg (351.3 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0767.jpg (509.5 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (464.6 KB, 265 views)
Old 20th December 2012, 04:05 AM   #355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
No much progress in the last couple of weeks, received the 4700 regulator from Ian, soldered two but one failed. Ordered the regulator again from TI today and will try again.
I ordered a 9 output toroidal transformer, looks very good quality.
received the Potato 74 and will follown HiFiduino to modify the Amanero. Will order more to try the sync mod with BIII Master Clock.
One failed ? Did you follow the video I posted to assemble QFN?

Ian
Old 20th December 2012, 09:10 AM   #356
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Btw, dear bigpandahk, I probably shouldn't be doing this to you, since you appear to have your hands full with the power supplies, but I have been experimenting with the Arduino Due as a controller and am pretty happy with the results.. The operation is now much snappier. Take a look at this comparison video that I made:

Arduino MEGA vs. Due - YouTube

You may notice that the startup is pretty much instantaneous (ok, no one cares, but still..), the volume control is extremely fast and the input changes are close to instantaneous as well. I'll be sticking with the Due for my implementation. I only have to find out why the rotary encoder is no longer working (it probably has something to do with the way the Due handles interrupts.. I'll look into it).
Old 20th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #357
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
One failed ? Did you follow the video I posted to assemble QFN?

Ian
I follow the video but my shaky hand can put the LDO on the right place. I have to resolder it three time and finally damaged the PCB, may be the LDO as well.
Old 20th December 2012, 03:01 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Btw, dear bigpandahk, I probably shouldn't be doing this to you, since you appear to have your hands full with the power supplies, but I have been experimenting with the Arduino Due as a controller and am pretty happy with the results.. The operation is now much snappier. Take a look at this comparison video that I made:

Arduino MEGA vs. Due - YouTube

You may notice that the startup is pretty much instantaneous (ok, no one cares, but still..), the volume control is extremely fast and the input changes are close to instantaneous as well. I'll be sticking with the Due for my implementation. I only have to find out why the rotary encoder is no longer working (it probably has something to do with the way the Due handles interrupts.. I'll look into it).
Thanks Dimdim, the Due is really fast. The price is almost triple of the Mega2560. I also can't find any information on the interrupt pin in the DUE forum. Please kind me update of your progress. THis is another must upgrade of my project.
Old 20th December 2012, 05:36 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
I follow the video but my shaky hand can put the LDO on the right place. I have to resolder it three time and finally damaged the PCB, may be the LDO as well.
bigpandahk,

I suggest you try a BGA re-work station. I believe it works for you, not only BGA but also QFN .

Ian
Old 20th December 2012, 05:57 PM   #360
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim; Take a look at this comparison video that I made:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVDMzhwjOw
Arduino MEGA vs. Due - YouTube[/url]

Very nice Dimdim...

The interrupt pin in Due might be somewhere else...
Didn't know the bottleneck was the processor. Certainly the screen is very fast.

Hide this!Advertise here!