Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 08:54 AM   #321
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I mean for the transformer Secondaries
If we're talking overkill (or in qusp's words, modern ES9012 DAC) you will have independent power supplies for each of the following:

- ackodac supply inputs.
- usb (I think qusp has 2 supplies for his usb device, the rest of us are ok with just 1 )
- FIFO
- FIFO oscillators after isolator
- 4 of secondaries just for NTD1 line stage, one secondary for each phase of the balanced signal
- some control circuits for arduino/lcd/whatever else

This gets somewhere in the order of 15 odd supplies. And remember he is building two of them and building two way speakers with crossover in the computer and multichannel usb device.

NB. By independent I mean: separate battery(s) or tx secondary, rect, pre-reg + low noise local reg to go with appropriate local decoupling and EMI filter

In my case I have ES9023 (AKD23) with only one power supply to the DAC chip and still 6 tx secondaries and I am considering adding another 3 or 4 in another transformer. I think for this transformer I might grab an EI core tx from Harbuch with one 8V and one 32V ct secondary to power jfet DAC output filter/buffer and use the 8V with an LM317 for my beaglebone (arm linux pc for control and music playing).

Last edited by hochopeper; 30th November 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:07 PM   #322
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I know what you meant =) hochopeper covered my answer pretty well.

I didnt have a drawing anyway =) sorry its not deemed essential equipment yet, so I havent worried about it too far, plus its tiny and could go anywhere. thats not a comment on the quality, it'll find a place somewhere, but not in the main system as its only 2 channel. I bought it to experiment with DSD and in particular to experiment with direct analogue active filtering of DSD, with no DAC, or rather Amanero becomes the dac and a filter + buffer is added to listen directly
Old 30th November 2012, 08:15 PM   #323
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
If we're talking overkill (or in qusp's words, modern ES9012 DAC) you will have independent power supplies for each of the following:

- ackodac supply inputs.
- usb (I think qusp has 2 supplies for his usb device, the rest of us are ok with just 1 )
- FIFO
- FIFO oscillators after isolator
- 4 of secondaries just for NTD1 line stage, one secondary for each phase of the balanced signal
- some control circuits for arduino/lcd/whatever else

This gets somewhere in the order of 15 odd supplies. And remember he is building two of them and building two way speakers with crossover in the computer and multichannel usb device.

NB. By independent I mean: separate battery(s) or tx secondary, rect, pre-reg + low noise local reg to go with appropriate local decoupling and EMI filter

In my case I have ES9023 (AKD23) with only one power supply to the DAC chip and still 6 tx secondaries and I am considering adding another 3 or 4 in another transformer. I think for this transformer I might grab an EI core tx from Harbuch with one 8V and one 32V ct secondary to power jfet DAC output filter/buffer and use the 8V with an LM317 for my beaglebone (arm linux pc for control and music playing).
I can see qusp has a problem with power

Is there photos around of this beast.

ATM I have 2 x trans for the Buffalo & 1 x SMPS for everything else.

Last edited by DQ828; 30th November 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:41 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

In addition to the power supply arrangement for so many devices, another headache is switching between inputs. I have the Amanero DSD convertor, WaveIO, Teleporter and Ian's SPDIF. The WaveIO will be connected to the backdoor of SPDIF and still have three different sources to be connected to BIII. Although I have the SideCar and OTTOII, I can't figure out how to switch between three I2S source with them.
There is no 3 ports 4:1 Mux product available. All I can find is the Potato PO3B341 that perfectly match my requirement but I don't have the knowledge to layout the PCB for it
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:17 AM   #325
diyAudio Member

why do you need waveIO and amanero? just stay with amanero, combined with fifo you will find it impossible to pick a difference, you only need to work out switching from amanero PCM and amanero DSD. you have a far too complicated signal path above, very unnecessary.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:03 AM   #326
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
In addition to the power supply arrangement for so many devices, another headache is switching between inputs. I have the Amanero DSD convertor, WaveIO, Teleporter and Ian's SPDIF. The WaveIO will be connected to the backdoor of SPDIF and still have three different sources to be connected to BIII. Although I have the SideCar and OTTOII, I can't figure out how to switch between three I2S source with them.
There is no 3 ports 4:1 Mux product available. All I can find is the Potato PO3B341 that perfectly match my requirement but I don't have the knowledge to layout the PCB for it
Add a second OTTO. Feed the output of the first into one input of the second. We've talked about a 4x4:1 mux, but didn't think it would be too commonly needed.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:25 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
why do you need waveIO and amanero? just stay with amanero, combined with fifo you will find it impossible to pick a difference, you only need to work out switching from amanero PCM and amanero DSD. you have a far too complicated signal path above, very unnecessary.
As Ian's FIFO doesn't accept DSD stream, it is not easy to switch between Amanero PCM and DSD. That's the reason to use both WaveIO (PCM) and Amanero (DSD) for USB source.

Last edited by bigpandahk; 3rd December 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:28 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Add a second OTTO. Feed the output of the first into one input of the second. We've talked about a 4x4:1 mux, but didn't think it would be too commonly needed.
I've considered this one but there are too many switching devices in the signal path, 2 OTTO + 1 SideCar
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:31 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

I know that....

its easy enough, easier than what you are trying to do, which would seem to require you to change to an entirely different interface to play DSD. you only need to use OE pin on amanero to switch left and right for DSD (if that is still an issue, not everyone has this problem) PCM and DSD share the same pins. use OE to trigger different DSD filter on ESS if need be as well.

I think its an easier way forward than having 2 interfaces.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:36 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
I've considered this one but there are too many switching devices in the signal path, 2 OTTO + 1 SideCar
It's just digital, not analog.

Hide this!Advertise here!