Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 10:22 AM   #311
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dare I say have you ever considered a SMPS as the starting point. I had a couple tested at the electronics department of the Uni I work at and they where surprised how clean the output voltage was.

Hows the Amanero going I'm thinking of buying one.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #312
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

sure quality SMPS are very good these days, but can you point to one with 10 outputs? SMPS are IMO starting to become a good option for high current circuits because you can have regulated output for a poweramp, which would be very impractical and inefficient for a poweramp normally.

here we are talking about fairly efficient linear low dropout regulators, I really dont see the value in it and I doubt it would even be cheaper. only top quality switchmode supplies are worth a look IMO, I would think twice about using one for a low level low noise circuit.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:15 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

I think noise of SMPS is not just consider the output, the RF generated is another major concern.

I don't have time to modify the Amanero yet, but with this price, it's worth to buy one.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:20 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

I think DQ828 was suggesting, as a starting point, for prototyping only, not necessarily for the final implementation. He's got a point powering each new part of the circuit from a lab supply or a smps and measuring its real current requirements before designing each reg and specifying a transformer, would be quite a neat approach.

Though this method may leave you taking a lot longer to complete each stage it would give you a bit extra protection ...
Old 29th November 2012, 12:20 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
I think noise of SMPS is not just consider the output, the RF generated is another major concern.

I don't have time to modify the Amanero yet, but with this price, it's worth to buy one.
sure, but thats just part of the design decision, they can be designed for very low noise output and emissions, see the tests of opc's 'the wire' with the DPS600 PSUs hochopeper, me and a number of others are using, far lower noise than your dac noise floor and very high current regulated output.

you also need to consider what they can spill back onto the mains for other components, but these are all covered in a good design. its about time people got over that, the cliches nolonger hold true, but for here I just dont see the benefit.

its funny how long it takes audiophiles to leave some 'truths' behind sometimes, like how some still believe SMD parts are going to render all their music lifeless somehow, finding all sorts of justifications for it...

Last edited by qusp; 29th November 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:30 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
its funny how long it takes audiophiles to leave some 'truths' behind sometimes, like how some still believe SMD parts are going to render all their music lifeless somehow, finding all sorts of justifications for it...
Not just lifeless mate, they'll sound ..... THIN!
Old 29th November 2012, 12:37 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Not just lifeless mate, they'll sound ..... THIN!
ive heard its more a flat sound, the soundstage loses all depth and microdetail/dimensionality (haha you like that?) is..erm..squashed?

btw BPHK, not taking the **** out of you mate in case you personalize it, not in the slightest

Last edited by qusp; 29th November 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post

Maybe the SMPS could cover what you see as the non critical items like the Arduino, mine runs fine from a SMPS, you can alway add some regulation & filtering after it if need be.

The Linkwitz ASP runs from a SMPS but has filtering circuits after the SMPS & before the crossover section, the much acclaimed Hypex amps run from SMPS & people rave about them.

Why do you need 10 outputs!

Do you have a drawing of the Amanero board, all I can find is the overall dimension, I want to draw it to put in my Sketchup model & knowing the exact sizes can be important.

Last edited by DQ828; 30th November 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:06 AM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Maybe the SMPS could cover what you see as the non critical items like the Arduino, mine runs fine from a SMPS, you can alway add some regulation & filtering after it if need be.

The Linkwitz ASP runs from a SMPS but has filtering circuits after the SMPS & before the crossover section, the much acclaimed Hypex amps run from SMPS & people rave about them.

Why do you need 10 outputs!

Do you have a drawing of the Amanero board, all I can find is the overall dimension, I want to draw it to put in my Sketchup model & knowing the exact sizes can be important.
10? lol if only.. have you seen a modern ESS dac with all the bells and whistles these days? well multiply that by 2 and you have my 4 channel dac
Old 30th November 2012, 09:37 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
10? lol if only.. have you seen a modern ESS dac with all the bells and whistles these days? well multiply that by 2 and you have my 4 channel dac
I mean for the transformer Secondaries

Dont worry about the Amanero measurements Hifiduino had a great photo that solved that problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!