Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 02:19 PM   #271
diyAudio Member

Spent couple hours and found that the fault was not caused by Legato (Sorry TPA), it is caused by the dual clock board. When it operates for several minutes, the sound start to distorted and then lost all sound after several seconds. Power reset will resume music for seconds.

Will try to bypass the on-board regulator to see if it solve the problem.
Old 5th November 2012, 04:01 PM   #272
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

I have the same effect with Legato. Those resistors get really warm. And if you connect BuffaloII on the top of Legato, as it is designed for the shortest connection, than Buffalo gets warm as well. But regardless of higher temp. operating mode, I have not had any problems. Splitting resistors position is simple and good idea and it certainly will help, particularly if you could mount both boards in vertical position.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I have the same effect with Legato. Those resistors get really warm. And if you connect BuffaloII on the top of Legato, as it is designed for the shortest connection, than Buffalo gets warm as well. But regardless of higher temp. operating mode, I have not had any problems. Splitting resistors position is simple and good idea and it certainly will help, particularly if you could mount both boards in vertical position.
FWIW: I have a test rig (Legato and B-III stacked) that has been running almost continuously (seldom powered off) for about 9 months. No issues.

Mounting the resistors slightly off the board, like in the picture on the web site, is a good idea (but not absolutely required).

When I build one, I mount the adjacent capacitors (C1-C4) first, then dry-fit all the 1W resistors at the same time. With the board upside-down, the caps provide a nice even spacing for the resistors off the board for soldering.

Last edited by BrianDonegan; 6th November 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clearity
Old 6th November 2012, 01:34 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

There is nothing wrong with Legato, I have clarify this in post #271. The fault also not related to dual clock board, it is caused by the isolator board made by my poor soldering. I remove the board and the whole system sound beautifully for almost two hours without problem.

I have to build another isolator board that Ian had soldered the resistor arrays for me.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #275
diyAudio Member

Received the Amanero USB to I2S DSD converter yesterday. I use Ian's BIII adaptor to connect the I2S by u.fl cables. Since the signal is directly connected to BIII without passing through the FIFO and using PC USB power, the SQ is not good. Need to find some improvement method in the related thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0752.jpg (484.0 KB, 290 views)
Old 27th November 2012, 12:25 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

while still waiting for the NTD1 and i570, I've ordered TPS7A4700samples from TI to build the 9V supply for the Arduino and another 5V for the relays. I don't know how to draw PCB layout, so I use a PCB converter and build the PSU easily. This is only a prototype for testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0764.jpg (871.9 KB, 230 views)
Old 27th November 2012, 03:05 PM   #277
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Man, that adapter looks like it was meant to be used for that reg. I would suggest to try SMD caps... you might be able to solder them between connectors on that board. Could be even more compact... Awesome find.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:32 PM   #278
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I can only echo what AR2 says, thats a perfect adapter for that reg! really nice work, but those bypass caps are near useless...
Old 27th November 2012, 03:35 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
while still waiting for the NTD1 and i570, I've ordered TPS7A4700samples from TI to build the 9V supply for the Arduino and another 5V for the relays. I don't know how to draw PCB layout, so I use a PCB converter and build the PSU easily. This is only a prototype for testing.
Hi bigpandahk,

Don't use that adapter, it was not designed for a power supply. I'll send you a couple of my TPS7A4700 PCBs for a try.

Ian
Old 27th November 2012, 03:39 PM   #280
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ahh of course, no powerpad/heatsink?... it will burn up/let the smoke out

Last edited by qusp; 27th November 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!