Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Arduino has internal pull up resistors, I've tried to set the Rx pin to "High" and it becomes high, still not detecting any signal from the SI570!!
Amanero is quite unstable, it always gives high pitch noise when playing music, I have to unplug the USB and wait for few seconds until the noise disappear. Its SQ is not as good as WaveIO, the only advantage is playing DSD. I may try some other device if I can't fix the noise problem.

I use two OTTO II to switch the Amanero to FIFO or BIII. When connect to BIII, it will pass through Acko's isolator board. The Amanero sound great when connected to the FIFO, but serious distortion when directly connected to BIII through Acko isolator. The only device not common to both setup is the Acko isolator, so I concentrate on trouble shoot the isolator. Spent almost two months, replaced two 74G74 and the isolator chip, the power supply to the Amanero but still no help.
Before give-up and try to source other DSD device. Last trial to connect the Amanero to BIII without isolator, the same distortion. Then confirmed the fault not isolator related.
Why the FIFO can make the Amanero distorted sound normal?

I use two OTTO II to switch the Amanero to FIFO or BIII. When connect to BIII, it will pass through Acko's isolator board. The Amanero sound great when connected to the FIFO, but serious distortion when directly connected to BIII through Acko isolator. The only device not common to both setup is the Acko isolator, so I concentrate on trouble shoot the isolator. Spent almost two months, replaced two 74G74 and the isolator chip, the power supply to the Amanero but still no help.
Before give-up and try to source other DSD device. Last trial to connect the Amanero to BIII without isolator, the same distortion. Then confirmed the fault not isolator related.
Why the FIFO can make the Amanero distorted sound normal?

I have my Amanero connected directly to the BIII & it is fine, I had issues with the grounding initially that caused noise. All wires are now straight from the Amanero to the BIII and all is good.

Thanks DQ828

It is not grounding issue. While had no other method to isolate the problem, I turn the input selection and accidentally changed the setting of the BIII through the Arduino, all distortion went away and beautiful music from BIII:D

I don't know which setting had been changed.

Now, I can concentrate on the Arduino Code and hope can finish this project soon.

Thanks DQ828

It is not grounding issue. While had no other method to isolate the problem, I turn the input selection and accidentally changed the setting of the BIII through the Arduino, all distortion went away and beautiful music from BIII:D

I don't know which setting had been changed.

Now, I can concentrate on the Arduino Code and hope can finish this project soon.

I had that problem:D

Good luck

Newbie check in.
Hey gentlemen
You guys are making something amazing here that I wanted to be part of.
I'm on my planning stage right now.
Which I think I need:
buffalo dac board x1
salas x1
ntd1 x1
And of course everything on the BOM.
Am I correct?

Last edited:
That's the basic for a DAC, Ian's FIFO with Si570 Clock will improve the sound a lot. My personal feeling is the Ian's isolator gives more analogue sound. Of course you need another power supply for Ian's devices.

If you need LCD display and remote control, HiFiDUINO is a good reference.

Good luck and enjoy.

I spent 18 months for the project and still haven't finished it, but it gives me lot of fund and learn a lot.

That's the basic for a DAC, Ian's FIFO with Si570 Clock will improve the sound a lot. My personal feeling is the Ian's isolator gives more analogue sound. Of course you need another power supply for Ian's devices.

If you need LCD display and remote control, HiFiDUINO is a good reference.

Good luck and enjoy.

I spent 18 months for the project and still haven't finished it, but it gives me lot of fund and learn a lot.
Ive got ian's in hand and powered by battery.
Also I ve configured a raspberry pi to output i2s to ian fifo.
Im planning to kind the toslink and spdif inputs on ian's board as well as the raspberry pi through ethernet.
I'm waiting on next GB to get si570 and isolator.
I've also joined GB in ntd1 and salas.
In the end I should get 1 ntd1 board, 3 salas boards and 2 bjt kits(one for dac one for ian's).
Is there anything Im missing?

finally, I fixed the hardware communication between Arduino and Si570, but still can't get the code working.:confused:

If I connect the Arduino's Tx to Si570 Rx, Si570 will wait for the command from Arduino before switching to the right frequency. So I only connect the Rx to Si570 Tx and read the data. Arduino detected data from Si570 but I still can't get the right command to read and display it:(

since all the hardware are working perfectly, I will prepare the drawing for the panels and send to FPE.

Thank you for a very interesting and informative thread. I am part way through reading it as I am about to change my buffalo IV stage and add Ian's FIFO stage to it.

I've come across mention of the NTD1 but having searched there seem to be a few threads dedicated to this and I can't work out which is the definitive read. Can anyone send me some links to the most up to date info and the GB?
Thank you,
Crom

Mine is coming along
10897004776_77f3bbd2a9_c.jpg

10896972695_e425bd84a8_c.jpg

Waiting for two customized O core transformers.
And of course a case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.