8x TDA1543 & WM8805 DAC on Taobao (on Ebay soon ? ) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 03:01 PM   #11
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

I must say I'm very happy with this DAC. No such things as hard dessoldering and lifting pads, I modded it quite a bit for now. It seems very DIY friendly to me. It has a very special 3D imaging and musicality.

I'm tempted to try it with more chips in parallel, while enhancing the regulator and adding a wire in parallel to the plane to prevent it from burning.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:05 AM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

Hmmm... what other DACs do you have to compare it to ?

I'm pleased you haven't had any trouble. I'd strongly advise against increasing the current load by adding more TDAs.

If you must do something to improve the sound, find a better oscillator for the WM8805 (Euroquartz XO91 for example), and give it very clean power. You should notice an increase in bass depth and definition, and improved detail and stereo image if you do it well.

You can also look at removing the two sets of rectifier diodes and replacing them with one set of four MUR820, and then using that one rectifier set for both regulators. You may need to add small heatsinks to the MUR820. You should notice an improvement in dynamics, and this may help with the grounding problems this design has.

Good luck. The board is low quality so go slowly and carefully. I'd advise against any changes but you seem set to do something so I think it's better to give some directed guidance.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Compaired to a AK4396 with TE7022L and PCM2706 cheap kit.

I did some new changes. Did bypass the regulator of the digital power supply with a salas shunt reg. Put Her602 diodes for the analogue part and used a two diode full bridge, because my transformer has a 2x12 winding center tapped.

Results - my 100Hz hum has entirely disappeared. Not much change in the 3D scene, but great increase in details and separation.

A little harsher sound. I will try changing the panasonic FC filter capacitors, I heard they sound harsh. I have elna silmics 2
Old 15th February 2013, 12:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Are there any NOS DACs / kits for same cost, but must be better ?
Thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!