Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2012, 05:30 PM   #1
rmgvs is offline rmgvs  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default simple discrete dac output stage anyone?

Who has experimented with a simple discrete output stage voor a DAC instead of using an opamp like NE5532? For example: the so-called 'Gator' boards which can be plugged into a Beresford Caiman: it uses 2 small signal transistors and a handful of components, it amplifies around 2-3 times and has a small amount of feedback. I can't find the schematics on the net though, but it can't be too hard to make something of this. It is meant to be put after the Wolfson WM8716 dac.

Another example is the fetishizator from Fikusz and others: it uses 1 or 2 (with or without impedance buffer) small signal fets, but I think it has a higher amplification factor.

Has anyone tried some variants for himself and compared it to a normal or good opamp? Which topology is recommended (I am looking for one after the Wolfson WM8740). Any suggestion is welcome.

Hide this!Advertise here!