simple discrete dac output stage anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who has experimented with a simple discrete output stage voor a DAC instead of using an opamp like NE5532? For example: the so-called 'Gator' boards which can be plugged into a Beresford Caiman: it uses 2 small signal transistors and a handful of components, it amplifies around 2-3 times and has a small amount of feedback. I can't find the schematics on the net though, but it can't be too hard to make something of this. It is meant to be put after the Wolfson WM8716 dac.

Another example is the fetishizator from Fikusz and others: it uses 1 or 2 (with or without impedance buffer) small signal fets, but I think it has a higher amplification factor.

Has anyone tried some variants for himself and compared it to a normal or good opamp? Which topology is recommended (I am looking for one after the Wolfson WM8740). Any suggestion is welcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.