Is there a DIY/high end 5.1 DAC like this? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 01:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Why don't you have a think about upgrading an existing system.

Plenty of members here mod the hell out of cheap cd players to get very high end results. I don't see why the same principals will not work on a 5.1 system.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:20 PM   #32
dangus is online now dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergedc View Post
I dream of a USB input with 3 * SPDIF output. Someone mentionned that Creative or M-audio did something like this? Could you show me which one?
I don't know about USB. There were Creative PCI cards like the Audigy 2 ZS that had multiple S/PDIF outputs for use with active speakers with digital inputs like the "MegaWorks THX 5.1, Creative InspireTM 5.1 Digital 5700" to quote the Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Quickstart The basic ZS was fairly cheap and common at the time, and I think it's still worth considering since it can (allegedly) do bitperfect captures from digital inputs, and isn't hamstrung by AC97 limitations. If you don't get the deluxe version with the front panel interface, it's not hard to connect a Toslink receiver to the onboard header.

I believe there were some cards that had a mini DIN output for those three S/PDIF signals, but the two Audigy 2 ZS cards of mine just have a 3.5mm jack, which takes a 4 conductor plug. (There's a couple different styles of those plugs. Common may be on the body of the plug, or a ring, and the plugs can be different lengths.)

The digital outputs are active all the time, except when playing DVD Audio (from the previously linked document):
"Connecting Digital Speaker Systems
The Digital Out output on your Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 2 ZS Platinum is continuously active except during DVD-Audio playback. Enabling the Digital Output Only selection in Creative Speaker Settings will disable analog speaker output. It is not necessary to enable Digital Output Only to use the Digital Out connector.
As with dedicated DVD-Audio player devices, output from DVD-Audio playback is limited to analog output. The digital output is disabled and cannot be used during DVD-Audio playback"

It looks like you can also get those signals from the AD_EXT header:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/audio-...ck-pinout.html
http://pinouts.ru/Multimedia/sb_audi...t_pinout.shtml

Last edited by dangus; 25th June 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 20th October 2012, 04:36 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Guys,

I still have not really found a solution but heard/read someone mentioning about adding a USB to I2S module into a high end DVD player and linking the I2S straight on the I2S input pin of the DVD's dac.

Basically convert a DVD player into a USB 5.1 Channel dac. Has anyone done this before?

Serge
Old 28th November 2012, 02:37 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sleepysimpson
DJNUBZ
Did you ever find a solution? I am looking for exactly the same thing.

I'd settle for using a high end 2 channel dac for my mains, if there was a way to direct some channels to that dac and the rest to a pci sound card.

Any suggestions?
Old 9th January 2013, 03:43 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

Looking for a pc 5.1 solution.. was going to post new thread but found this

Which way? 5.1 sound card, seperate 5.1 dac.. want analogue out in sound card preferably..

I Have a great sounding rig for music(cd,lp etc) I wouldnt even consider a 5.1 receiver with poor sound in the amp section etc.. when I run dvd or off air reciever 2 channel out into rig much of the rig quality and balance is retained.
Most sound track are heavily processed anyway..

All in one solution pc solution for music video server is attractive.. really just want decent center channel out for dialoque..

Is thread dead

thanks, Joel
Old 9th January 2013, 04:30 PM   #36
Pemo is offline Pemo  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Hi, I think that you may be looking for something like this:
ONKYO PCオーディオ製品情報:PCIe/PCI デジタルオーディオボード | オンキヨー株式会社

Sorry that the link is in Japanese, but you can translate it automatically if you open the link with Google Chrome.

RGDS
Old 10th January 2013, 02:28 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemo View Post
Hi, I think that you may be looking for something like this:
ONKYO PCオーディオ製品情報:PCIe/PCI デジタルオーディオボード | オンキヨー株式会社

Sorry that the link is in Japanese, but you can translate it automatically if you open the link with Google Chrome.

RGDS
That looks like a possibilty.. You got me to finaly download chrome

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 06:38 AM   #38
intgenx is offline intgenx  India
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for exactly the same thing... a very high quality 5.1ch DAC (24bit or 32bit) with balanced output - for a budget of around $1000.
It should be as good as or better than the DACs found in the Onkyo processors (PR-SC-5508 and PR-SC-5509).
This DAC will be connected to a HTPC either through USB or through PCI/PCIe and will need to take multi-channel decoded lossless uncompressed audio and give out balanced analog out preferably in 3pin XLR or minXLR.

For those who suggest that I ge a processor or receiver and be done with - I've already gone down that route and would prefer a Audio-phile grade HTPC - than a run of the mill receiver or processor...

I've considered the following and have dropped them due to various reasons:
Onkyo PR-SC5508 (Integra DHC80.2) - only thing still in the running - 32bit/192kHz DAC
Integra DHC80.3 (Onkyo PR-SC5509) - over-priced old model
Integra DHC60.5 - not available with 220V - AC yet
Sherbourn (Emotiva) PT-7030
Emotiva XMC-1 (expected in Feb. 2014)
Marantz AV7005, AV7701, AV8801
Denon DN-500AV
Yamaha CX-A5000
Krell Foundation, Crestron, Savant, Anthem, Cary, Primare, Lexicon, Storm, Meridian, Wisdom SC1, ADA Rhapsody Mach IV, Datasat RS20i

Sound cards:
Lynx AES-16 + Aurora 16
AudioScience

Hide this!Advertise here!