Is there a DIY/high end 5.1 DAC like this? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2012, 04:21 AM   #21
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
If you only play content on the PC, which isn't unreasonable, then just invest in a PCI sound card that has good DACs (or can be modified). Or one with multichannel S/PDIF outputs, which can then drive separate DACs. There were or are some computer speaker systems that accepted 3 S/PDIF streams, and some Creative cards brought those signals out to the back panel via 3.5mm sockets or a mini-DIN connector.
M-Audio cards cost more, but one that I looked at included unambiguous bass management settings in the driver.
That is what I am doing now but in the near future I want to build something using the raspberry PI. It has USB and from what I understand I2S on the GPIO pins. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. I guess I could just crack open a standard 5.1-7.1 usb audio card but I would really prefer something that is designed from the ground up with a focus on sound quality.
Old 8th May 2012, 04:36 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I believe I2S output fell off the pin header / multiplexer as one of the last revisions to the RPi before the first batch were manufactured and was mentioned as potentially returning later. I haven't checked up on that for a month or two now though so maybe its changed.

I haven't had a chance to play with i2s out from it yet but I have a beaglebone that I'm mucking around with in spare time (haven't had much lately). This board is a bit more expensive than raspberry pi but has some pretty good support and all schematics and pcb files are there for you if you chose. Its certainly not mega expensive though. Basically its the Ti equivalent of the raspberry pi.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:30 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I fully support DJNUBZ. I have been looking for a solution forever. The Hifi360.cn HF D1B is not good. I suspect the different channels can not be controlled separatly due to the device applying a Dolby prology code on your sound (whatever the source: PCM 5.1 or AC3).
The Motu 896Mk3 or M-audio 2626 are possible solutions, but quite expensive. This is basically bying a truck to carry a notebook, if you see what I mean. I am sure that they sound excellent though.

I dream of a USB input with 3 * SPDIF output. Someone mentionned that Creative or M-audio did something like this? Could you show me which one?

Serge
Old 9th June 2012, 05:47 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

There was a design using an STA310 decoder on here, but no one really shared any detail on their designs. There were one or two people on here that built a working design. I don't know how to program do it's not really something I could have done. The STA310 required a micro controller, and it's obsoleted I think. I'd like to be able to use a multichannel decoder and good D/A converters for each channel.
Old 9th June 2012, 05:51 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What counts as a 'good D/A converter' to you - measurement figures or sound?
Old 10th June 2012, 12:33 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

If I were to set a standard, I would say the ODAC measures very good, sounds very good and is priced right. If I could buy 3 of them an use them to make a 5.1 surround setup I would in a heartbeat.

Here is an interesting example of a DAC made with an FPGA, I wonder if something like that could be made for a surround setup since FPGAs are so flexible.

Vishay Precision Group - Foil Resistors - Case Study: Developing a Multi-Channel DAC for High-End Audio Applications
Old 10th June 2012, 07:21 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
What counts as a 'good D/A converter' to you - measurement figures or sound?
I suppose that is all a matter of opinion. A lot of consumer surround sound decoders use sub standard parts. I like the CS43122.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:03 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

HDMI decoder board

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jeffery8341; 15th June 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 15th June 2012, 05:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Do you have links to these boards?
Old 16th June 2012, 12:57 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
They look to be the very same boards I mention here (I give a link to a Taobao seller): 5.1 usb decoder

Hide this!Advertise here!