Digital Audio Delay - Lip Sync Issues - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Audio Delay - Lip Sync Issues

Hi all,

First post on this site. I have posted this on another diy audio forum to spread my net further.

I have an issue with my A/V Receiver. Watching films on my HDTV from my Bluray through HDMI I receive a degree of delay on the image compared to the audio. The audio goes to the AV receiver (AVR) via optical cable as it doesn’t have an HDMI throughput. It wouldn’t have a 3D throughput anyway due to its age. The only way for me to clear the lip sync is to operate the AVR from the optical output of the TV, which unfortunately doesn’t pass through 5.1 audio. Again, unfortunately my AVR doesn’t have the capability to delay the audio itself. The delay is due to the different processing speeds for HD video and surround sound audio, HD video being a lot slower.

I am investigating the possibility of placing a variable digital audio delay in line before the AVR to provide between 0 and 1sec delay. Much like….
http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=21

But at £80 I might as well get a second hand £130 AVR that will do the job and more besides.

This got me doing a bit of research and I found this little selection of chips: the TPA5050/5051/5052…. http://www.ti.com/product/tpa5050

I would purchase this chip and set about experimenting but 1) Im not sure it will do the job I want and 2) I have no clue how to mount a chip of that style onto a board as a DIYer.

I have had a look at the use of transistor delays and 555 chip type delays but am unsure as to whether they are suitable for my needs. I have had a look though a thread on the other diy audio forum.... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2419

So Im looking for a delay circuit for digital surround sound audio from a bluray/dvd player to an AVR to get rid of what is likely ms (0-1000ms, probably toward the bottom end of the spectrum) of lip sync error when watching films and retaining the full surround sound for at least 5.1 DTS and Dolby.

Any help much appreciated…

Fin
Old 24th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody?
Old 24th April 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I remember an expensive DAC that has a user-selectable buffer (of up to 5 seconds?). Of course, the connection used is one-way, so the DAC can't tell the source to send data faster to fill up the buffer faster. So the buffer also delays the output by that amount.

If you're using a computer, a similar trick can be used - use ASIO driver, then set the buffer/latency/samples to as high as possible. Don't know if your sound device will support one second, but it's worth a shot.
Old 24th April 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

You will not be able to build something usable for less than you can buy it. And that is not even considering the time it would take to design and build. Your comments suggest that you are in way over your head. I don't want to be too discouraging but I don't think that you should take on a project like this, considering your motivations (i.e. to save money) and level of technical prowess.

Hide this!Advertise here!