PCM1794A tube-output DAC.... 4 chips detroyed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi beardman,

for me, perhaps also for many others, the TDA1541 is the reference of "analogue sound" in digital world. I do like its sounding, more involving and more natural, especially in NOS mode... just my personal opinion.

for "invasive", i meant a little bit too fast, not so airy comparing, of course, to TDA1541.

regarding the i/v resistor, there are many solutions around. I just chose a value (45 ohm, DAC in parallel mode) which gave me an output, after tube stage, around 3V rms. Well, it really depends on your setting.

i, like many others, enjoyed with paralleled TDA1543 too, which is quite interesting considering its high C/P value!

i would like to challenge the AD1955, but have to deal with non 0V output...

i'm kinda fond of the CV6 (single triode), really superb in its own way. So smooth...

well beardman,

there are full of "TDA1541 NOS" projects around internet, you can make a quick search without much difficulty.
here is only an example: http://community.fortunecity.ws/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/adagio/Adagio.html

the I/V conversion is purely resistive which follows a tube stage, an old-school anode follower configuration:

+250V
|
|
13kohm
|
|-----------| |---------------- Output
ANODE 4.7uF |
|
DAC I out ----------------- GRID 1Mohm
| |
| CATHODE |
R I/V 90ohm | GND
| |
| 130ohm
GND |
|
GND

R I/V is for reference, you can choose whatever fits you.

The tube is biased at 10mA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.