Dacmagic1 after upgrade. Some advice please. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 01:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dacmagic1 after upgrade. Some advice please.

I recently upgraded a dacmagic1, replacing the below items. I was wondering if someone would be able to take a look at what i have replaced so far.

Im new to modifying audio, and would really appreciate some feedback as to where i may have gone wrong, and, or, where i may improve on what i have done to date.

The 2 opa2604ap opamps were replaced with lm4562na into 8 pin gold plated sockets.

All caps were replaced with same values. As follows:

14x 100uf 10v Vishay OS-CON organic polymer capacitors for to replace the existing electrolytics

10x 3300 uf 25v Panasonic FC to replace the existing smoothing electrolytics.

4 x nichichon FG to replace the existing 47uf 16v on the opamps

6 x nichicon KW 2200uf 16v caps

10 x nichicon KT caps 10uf 35v

I have heard a difference after the mods, But before i go any further i would like to make sure there are no problems with what i have done to date. I do feel it sounds a bit harsh at times, and the bottom end sounds a bit wooly. I wonder if i have introduced an issue somewhere with the oscons, or opamp change, or elsewhere.

I was considering buying a scope, but don't have much experience using one, not sure if it would be a waste of time and money at this stage.

Could post some pics of the mods done if it would help

Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try some extra 0.1uF decoupling on each OpAmps power rails. Pin 4 to GND and pin 8 to GND.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Try some extra 0.1uF decoupling on each OpAmps power rails. Pin 4 to GND and pin 8 to GND.
Thanks sonic, very helpful.

What type of decoupling caps would you recommend?

Was also thinking of trying some other opamps, first to see if maybe it is just the lm4562's i don't like. possibly even retrying the original opa2604's as they actually sounded sweeter. With a much larger stereo image, much tighter bottom end as well. Maybe try a few others as well while I'm at it.

If i did the decoupling mod to the opamp dip sockets, is this intended for the lm4562 only ?

Or will it be suitable for any opamp i happen to try that is a suitable replacement?

Also, are there any other areas where it may be prudent to add decoupling caps?

Thanks again.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 0.1uF is a good addition for any OpAmps, but the faster they are, the more they need those capacitors:
http://www.analog.com/static/importe...als/MT-101.pdf
See page 5,6 of above. Film is best for audio. Ceramics are good too (at least some of them).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 14th April 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The 0.1uF is a good addition for any OpAmps, but the faster they are, the more they need those capacitors:
http://www.analog.com/static/importe...als/MT-101.pdf
See page 5,6 of above. Film is best for audio. Ceramics are good too (at least some of them).
Found this selection of opamps on ebay for Ģ20, there are some monos, which will not really be much good to me. But looks quite a wide range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-OPAM...ht_11646wt_982

Do you think this is a pretty good selection of alternative opamps for the dacmagic, or would i be better buying in pairs?

Could someone suggest a list of decent alternatives to the lm4562 and opa2604?

Thanks

Last edited by Reference1042; 14th April 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Don't buy from eBay, especially from China - you will get fakes and then complain that the "recomended OpAmps suck". The fakes have laser engraving now, look "authentic", but I think you don't want a "jelly-bean" OpAmp labeled as LM4562.
Buy from a distribuitor. I think Farnell is in your area?
I did try OPA2604 and wasn't impressed. Only sligtly better than 5532, good if you really need j-fets. LM4562 is equal to LME49720 (renamed to match the naming scheme). National now is owned by TI.
If you are in SMD work, you can try also AD8599. I did like it.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 14th April 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Gopher is offline Gopher  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't understand why these people in China go to so much trouble making fake op-amps. Most large quantity orders will always be placed through authorised distributors. E-Bay sales can't be that big.

Also, why do people take the risk of buying off E-Bay when going to the distributors will often only cost a few dollars more for the genuine article. Are they stupid or just hooked on E-Bay???

Last edited by Gopher; 14th April 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:52 PM   #8
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

I havenīt seen the schematic of the Dacmagic, but if it had FET opamps (OPA2604) originally, itīs probably not a good idea to replace them with bipolars (no matter how "good" they are).
Old 14th April 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't buy from eBay, especially from China - you will get fakes and then complain that the "recomended OpAmps suck". The fakes have laser engraving now, look "authentic", but I think you don't want a "jelly-bean" OpAmp labeled as LM4562.
Are you speaking from experience or is this the usual China bashing ?
Old 14th April 2012, 01:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, usually the DAC's don't require j-fet's, they are sometimes used in older devices for other reasons - speed.
Sure, only schematic can elucidate that for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!