NFB-free discrete IU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...for +/- 2 mA input: schematics and "harmonics' SPL". I have designed it to be used (and it is in use) with PCM63.

Attachments

• iu41.my.png
    iu41.my.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 372
  • iu41QLoud.png
    iu41QLoud.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
"no negative feedback" is a Audiophile marketing construct - doesn't help diy memebers learn how to design, evaluate circuits

few useful electronic circuits can be designed without negative feedback - in your circuit's case there are multiple local negative feedback subcircuits

don't title threads with such loaded terms and you won't have "terminology war" "problems" I wouldn't bother if you accurately used "no Global negative feedback" in the title

what is the input impedance of this circuit ?
Few Ohms - depending on used Q4.

For an IV converter it needs to be very low
Any schematics is a result of compromises in designer's model of the world (and, in audio, it depends on experience of multi-years music listening and correlation between used schematics topology and subjective opinion) :) To my taste input impedance is sufficient for the case (DAC output impedance about 670 Ohms - it is simulated with Rdac).

I don't think it is much better than one grounded base circuit.
It is common base - Q2 just fixes input voltage about zero in thermo-independent way.

Last edited:
Before current one I have used an IU as attached (the schematics isn't my, as a result - fragment only). To my taste, current IU is distinctly better (the difference isn't subtle): "Cu is Cu rather Al" - you see? ;) While technologically it is easy to replace an IU (it is separated from main DAC board), during almost two yeas I haven't any intentions to design something better (but, say new amplifier has appeared :)). Mostly I listen to live records (mainstream 50-60 jazz and different classical music).

You see, it is just subjective opinion.

Attachments

• iuOld.png
    iuOld.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 212
About servo. To my taste both IU and amplifier must be true DC (while any servo is HPF). This opinion is a result of multi-year true DC audio-chain using. The schematics is balanced except for output follower. As a result, thermal drift is slightly above 2 mV/C, or less than 0.1%/C - it is useful to present in percents to avoid drift-phobia :p

Feedback is needed in a SS discrete UI, at least if you want less distortion than a simple passive I/v + tube. Its a hard pill to swallow for some but I have never seen a NFB free bjt UI that has less than ~-80db 2H, bjt's aren't linear enough without nfb.
(marked as bold by me) He-he... There aren't (and, I guess, will not appear already) trustworthy psychoacoustic tests proving any correlation between this understanding of "linearity" and "our ears understanding of linearity" (or, if we a saying about our ears, of naturalness).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.