What IC is used to send dig data from usb to DAC? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2012, 11:39 AM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its still a bit muddy in this thread

i2c is the 2 wire serial communications protocol used to program and control the device. I2s or IIs for short is the audio data format which has several incarnations depending on the dac being used

generally in PCM, the most common format this days it will contain

Master clock (MCLK)
Bit Clock (BCK)
Serial Data (SDATA)
Ground (GND)
Old 5th April 2012, 11:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
The USB1.1 specs don't allow more than 16 bit/48kHz. In order to get past that you need an USB 2.0 device but for those there are no native drivers (in any operating system), so you need to provide those drivers too.
USB1.1 devices from TI don't require any controller to work.
incorrect

USB 1.1 (UAC 1.12 i think) will allow 96khz

UAC2 is native in mac OS and has been for years

Last edited by qusp; 5th April 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

UAC2 is limited to certain devices only. That im my view, is equal to providing separated drivers...
MS does not have native drivers capable of more that 16/48. TI does not list their devices as capable of more either.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 5th April 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 5th April 2012, 02:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

no, its native for any operating system that complies with the standard just like UAC1, that being Mac OS and linux, just because windows has been dragging its feet keeping with the standard does not mean its not a native standard. the devices are limited to 16/48 not the standard any UAC2 standard device (and a few others) that is capable of 16/96, will do so even on a host that is only UAC 1.12.

any native standard requires that the code be part of the operating system to work, it just happens that win is useless in this regard, so useless its baffling

also i knew i was forgetting one above

MCLK
BCK
LRCK or word clock
SDATA
GND

Last edited by qusp; 5th April 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
kevloon is offline kevloon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This will require a lot of SW programming to be done. This firmware is usually stored in an eeprom or an internal flash memory in the USB controller.

At work we use a Cypress (CY7C68013A) device to interface USB2.0 to MPEG + I2C and we found that it is no trivial matter to get it to work right!
This is what I was afraid of, looking at professional DAC's ive notice chips like the TI tas1020b which require software programming.

Now I am not totally apposed to learning this (although my interest in this hobby does not lie with USB/DRIVER programming) but I have had very sparse luck when looking around for code/examples or anything that could set him in the correct direction.

Last edited by kevloon; 5th April 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Use the PCM2706... There is nothing to program, it just works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no, its native for any operating system that complies with the standard just like UAC1, that being Mac OS and linux
So can you make a PCM2706 work with 24/96? If not, then UAC1 is worthless as "standard" because is not supported/recognized by cip manufacturers.
I can concot a "standard" tommorow and claim that MS "doesn't follow it". But if nobody else (but me) follows it, it is useless.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 5th April 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:

This is a very nice device, I wasn't familiar with it. Easy enough to build an application with. It is a SMD device so some soldering skills are required.

It doesn't do 24/96 but do you really want all the extra hassle just to extend the frequency range beyond 22KHz? Only bats will be able to hear that!
Old 6th April 2012, 07:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

So can you make a PCM2706 work with 24/96? If not, then UAC1 is worthless as "standard" because is not supported/recognized by cip manufacturers.
I can concot a "standard" tommorow and claim that MS "doesn't follow it". But if nobody else (but me) follows it, it is useless.
haha yeah thats right, this 5+ year old (from a family nearly a decade old) device is limited and it has nothing to do with the UAC2 conversation. its a ridiculous argument, its like saying an SSD drive is useless if you cant make it pass its full bandwidth through a parallel port. the device hardware itself is not capable of 24/96 with any form of input or output, has nothing to do with the software
Old 7th April 2012, 02:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

What UAC1 capable device is then capable of more than that? Not UAC2...
If you don't have any, than the UAC1 standard is useless. 10 years too late.
Old 7th April 2012, 02:28 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The Tenor TE7022L is what you want, but Galaxy Far East Corp will only sell to OEM's willing to buying thousands of pieces.

GALAXY FAR EAST CORP.

http://www.gfec.com.tw/documents/101...2SL_PB-v21.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!