Need help choosing a discrete IV stage - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2012, 07:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I wish I could use passive conversion but I use the Pass B1 preamp which has no gain and an amp the requires 2v P-P. I'm thinking of making PCB's of this IV stage which is a modified Pass D1 can somebody tell me if my rendition of the circuit will work as good as the original (it simulates well).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IV.jpg (171.8 KB, 355 views)
Old 7th April 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You should definitely check out the CEN - SEN here:
http://www.linearaudio.net/userfiles...202%20EUVL.pdf

jan
Old 7th April 2012, 09:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

That circuit seems to be hard to implement (floating supply, battery power) so I think I'm going to stick with the D1
Old 8th April 2012, 01:08 AM   #14
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the D1 can sound very good indeed, I have no noise whatsoever even when no music is playing. I havent tried anything like your circuit with the servo, I use a modified balanced version without the buffer with my sabre dac.

dubbed the NTD1

i'm trying the sen as well, but yes, particularly for the balanced ES901X v0.18 version its not really tricky, just extensive due to the sheer number of supplies or batteries needed so its taken me a while to get it done, even with batteries the power supply + bias ref is a few times bigger than the circuit. sounds like its worth some effort though from reports so far
Old 8th April 2012, 12:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I created a layout for the circuit. I think i'm going to etch some pcb's.
It is using the salas shunt for the power supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IV1.jpg (337.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IV2.jpg (230.1 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IV3.jpg (182.9 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg PSU1.jpg (228.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg PSU2.jpg (168.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PSU3.jpg (111.1 KB, 50 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip EAGLEFILES.zip (128.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 8th April 2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Looking forward listening tests
Old 8th April 2012, 01:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benproiii View Post
I wish I could use passive conversion but I use the Pass B1 preamp which has no gain and an amp the requires 2v P-P. I'm thinking of making PCB's of this IV stage which is a modified Pass D1 can somebody tell me if my rendition of the circuit will work as good as the original (it simulates well).
You're correct, the Pass B1 would preclude the mode I had suggested. You would need about 20dB of gain from the linestage.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benproiii View Post
That circuit seems to be hard to implement (floating supply, battery power) so I think I'm going to stick with the D1
That's interesting - there was just a discussion there that a battery was sooo much simpler than a good, high performance mains supply...

jan
Old 8th April 2012, 02:35 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

there is an error in the PCB the pinout for the ZVN2106A is backward's I will correct soon.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:31 PM   #20
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
That's interesting - there was just a discussion there that a battery was sooo much simpler than a good, high performance mains supply...

jan
no, the discussion ended that its simpler than a high performance floating power supply good enough to drive the circuit that has not so great psrr =D its not so much difficult to use the batteries, just a bit of a pita. if you use the NIMH in the bom its not so difficult as lifepo4, but you still must either remember to charge, or come up with a simple switch to do it automatically. again not so much hard, just something additional that you dont normally need, you need a simple control/indication circuit and an additional power supply as well as your power supply

Hide this!Advertise here!