24bit/192kHz Digital Crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Given that 24bit/192kHz content is now readily available on Blu-Ray discs with the lossless audio codecs now on those films, is there a digital crossover that will support this definition? I am currently using a miniDSP, but even the highest end models are limited to 96kHz. Without starting a debate whether I can hear the difference between 96kHz and 192kHz (I don't care, so don't start the argument), is there either a DIY crossover, like the miniDSP, or a commercial one that I can purchase that supports 192kHz sampling rates?

Also it will not work for you with high definition audio content specifically from blu-ray if you want to keep it in the digital medium without DAD conversion taking place.

HDMI for high bandwidth copyright protection has to be involved to pass these new formats in a digital medium and unless some expensive proprietary security technology is involved after the hdmi input you cannot send full bandwidth data on in its original form over digital to external circuits.

Last edited:
As you don't care about any possible sound quality differences between 192 and 96, the cheapest solution would be stick with miniDSP and use ASRCs to downsample your 192 to 96 at the input.

I believe he was implying that he does not care about the technical arguments, he does not want to hear them. He simply wants to know that he has all the data in its original form, regardless of whether his human hearing could tell the tiniest difference between 48, 96 or 192khz. I can understand this.

I might be wrong but I believe the list of 24/192 blu-rays is extremely thin anyway. Ironically those that I have seen have been very low fidelity rock music remasters.

This has very little to do with fidelity. Looking at it rationally we know most Hi-Fi does not do full justice to well recorded 16bit audio, in most cases not even close. Despite this I can understand the Audiophile Nervosa coming through.

Thanks for the clarification - my misreading. I have no idea whether there would be an audible quality difference but one thing I do have an idea about - a crossover running at 192kHz won't be a particularly cheap item. For one reason there's so little demand and for another it takes twice as many math operations to run at 192k as it does at 96k.

I agree that its likely very few people are getting the full benefit of 44k1.

Given that 24bit/192kHz content is now readily available on Blu-Ray discs with the lossless audio codecs now on those films, is there a digital crossover that will support this definition? I am currently using a miniDSP, but even the highest end models are limited to 96kHz. Without starting a debate whether I can hear the difference between 96kHz and 192kHz (I don't care, so don't start the argument), is there either a DIY crossover, like the miniDSP, or a commercial one that I can purchase that supports 192kHz sampling rates?

How much do you want to spend ?

Thanks for all the input. I was merely wondering if there was a DIY board that I hadn't heard of other than the miniDSP that could do 192. The miniDSP can do 24/96, which should be plenty. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it. As far as going all digital, that'd be nice but, like many have stated, the copyright or digital management or whatever on the discs prevents that.

The next logical question then, is whether there is another diy board like the miniDSP that has a better ADC and DAC. Anyone know of one? Or is the miniDSP the best we have right now?

Frosteh,
I just finished off my first prototype of an ADAU1442 based ADC, Digital XO and DAC.

I stuck some stuff and a few photos in my blog page last light.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/googlyone/859-time-new-digital-crossover-adau1442.html

Being the neanderthal I am I have set the clock rate at 48KSPS.

Seriously though:
- The DSP has 192KSPS modes
- The ADC and DAC have these modes
- The software just uses a constant for clock rate
- Changing to 192KSPS wouild mean that the maximum delay available for time alignment between your tweeters and woofers would be about 1.5 metres. Hopefully enough...

The design approach I have used uses the ASRC in the ADAU1442 to resample SPDIF input to 48KSPS. To this end the DSP does not measure the input sample rate. (Hmmm for that matter I have not looked at the maximum sample rate supported by the ADAU1442 SPDIF receiver - something to check.)

I kind of doubt anybody would hear the difference between 48, 96 and 192KSPS.

I absolutely know you can hear the defference between a crappily set up speaker and a good one - thus digital XO is a massive benefit.

I am not sure about getting data in at those sample rates, I have never looked at anything other than standard SPDIF (Coax / TOSLINK). that is definitely somthing you might want to do some research on.

If you are dead set keen on one of these, I am happy to send you the CAD files and source code...

Thanks for the clarification - my misreading. I have no idea whether there would be an audible quality difference but one thing I do have an idea about - a crossover running at 192kHz won't be a particularly cheap item. For one reason there's so little demand and for another it takes twice as many math operations to run at 192k as it does at 96k.

I agree that its likely very few people are getting the full benefit of 44k1.

well it looks like you have finally got an open source crossover design, source code and all !

The miniDSP chips are capable of doing 24/192 it's just that, as abraxalito says, it eats at the resources.

Personally I don't understand why the miniDSP guys don't just allow you to use higher sampling rates. Sure you might run out of computational power, but if you do you can easily swap to something lower.

The 2x8, as far as I am aware, uses the top line sigmaDSP line of chips from analogue devices and these are more then capable of doing 24/192 for a 4 way active system.

well it looks like you have finally got an open source crossover design, source code and all !

No, he's making the design available (nice :)) but its not open source because it depends on SigmaStudio from ADI. They're the gatekeepers for their own proprietary silicon here - sounds from googlyone's blog that there are significant bitches about how well they've documented it...:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.