RAKK dac Booster module on Buffalo dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I was looking at the RAKK dac which has been thru several levels of improvement... one thing they found was that the dac responded really well to an additional " Booster Module " which they placed after their power supply regulators before the dac module! I was wondering if anyone has tried this with a Buffalo dac??? The basics can be read about here - ( see below ) - and the actual schematic of the Booster Module can be found in the manual -
K & K Audio - Lundahl Transformers, audio DIY kits and more - Thanks for any input, dean

Hi analog_sa ..... well they have a regulator board just like Twisted Pair does....... TPA uses a LCPDS or spending more they offer a shunt Power supply, or some poeple go all out with Paul Hynes PSUs, preregs, and regs, - I didn't have the extra funds for those upgrades, which can really add up ..... So I was looking around to see if more perfomance could be found and read the RAKK dac intro all the different PSUs they have tried... (I'm new at this) .... thier " Booster " board after the regulator board has three caps, some resistors, diodes and a relay or two, I'm guessing that somehow having that cap supply AFTER the Regulator / PSUs allows the dac a larger or faster power supply than just the Regulator boards alone! - I don't know enough to modify that " Booster Board " schematic from the 12V it puts out to the 15V that the Buffalo 32S needs. - I was hoping to find help to do this ..... or see if anyone had tried additional capacitor supply After the LCPDS or shunt supplys - Like the RAKK dac - Kind Regards, dean

To be honest i ran out of patience before discovering the exact description of the "booster board". So, only assumed it was a glorified capacitor board. Provided the raw dc voltage source does not have ample capacitance already, this may be beneficial, but not holding my breath.

Hi analog_sa --- Thanks for your input !! ... maybe I'll call them to see if they think it would help in my application - I might get lucky, and they may tell me how to change the board to get the 15V I need instead of the 12V it outputs now... they want 60.00 for each booster board , I'm thinking there are only 10-20.00 worth of parts on it, and they give the schemas --- I'm also looking at maybe adding an Isolation Transformer before the 3 Transformers of my PSU. Everthing I have read about the Buffalo or other dacs seems to show that dacs are extremely sensitive to thier PSUs . Have you read much of Paul Hynes information on how most commercial equipment doesn't maximize the potential of equipment, becouse of the cost of properly designed PSUs? - Kind Regards, dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.