Can you make a Dacmagic 1 Magic? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 12:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can you make a Dacmagic 1 Magic?

Ive just managed to buy a Dacmagic 1 on ebay for a very cheap price, and have been searching the web for some possible upgrade/modification routes that may be available for this early model.

My electronics skills are pretty good but unfortunately when it comes to designing circuitry im a noob, so building my own dac is not going to happen until i have learned how to.....im hoping it wont be too long.....before retirement would be nice

Meanwhile, I have been looking for a budget first dac project to get my teeth into, and had hoped that the Dacmagic 1 would make a good starting point for modification

After scouring the web for hours i have found a wealth of information for the MK2 upwards , but cant even find a service manual for the Dacmagic 1.

Could anyone tell me where i may able to obtain a schematic, or even better the service manual for this model. Have hit a dead end where that is concerned

Finally....Has anyone has had any success modding the Dacmagic 1?
Old 15th March 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Please help folks

Got the Dac and sounds great. Made a big difference.....But i really want to modify it. Im sure it can sound better

Anyone got a DacMagic 1 service manual. Even spoke to CA and they dont have it.

Amy help would be much appreciated.
Old 17th March 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I spent many hours modding a Dac Magic 2 and it did improve it noticeably but was the effort worth it - no. It did give me good experience in modding so in that respect it was worthwhile.

In it's day my (unmodded) DM2 totally trashed a Marantz 1200 CD player, fast forward to now and it's the other way around a 1000 Marantz player destroyed the (modded) DM2.

For me the DM2 best improvements come from:
1) Replacing the main caps (just after the main rectifiers), these probably need replacing as they will most likely be failing by now.
2) Schottky Diodes on the main bridge rectifiers.
3) Output Op-amp replacement
4) Better quality caps (os-con etc.) on the op-amp power supply (next to the op-amp).

Good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!