diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   buffer SPDIF input stage for ESS9018 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/208452-buffer-spdif-input-stage-ess9018.html)

merlin el mago 9th March 2012 02:40 PM

buffer SPDIF input stage for ESS9018

2 Attachment(s)
This buffered SPDIF input stage designed by Jocko Homo can avoid dropouts in my Buffalo III?

Rz 100R
R1 300R
Cz 4,7pF/5pF

Hex Inverter used Phillips 74HC04N instead of 74HCU04, operating voltage between +5V

Is there is a way to improve the schematic or needs other operating voltage, suggestions will welcome.

merlin el mago 12th March 2012 01:40 PM

Please help!

Ken Newton 12th March 2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin el mago (Post 2942898)
Please help!

What about this circuit do you feel requires improvement, are you having some kind of trouble with it?

merlin el mago 12th March 2012 01:58 PM

Yes, BIII can't lock?

qusp 12th March 2012 02:36 PM

but you have been having locking problems with your buffalo dacs since BII, are you sure there isnt something else going on?

merlin el mago 12th March 2012 02:58 PM

Yes, also problems with lock using CD or Hiface but when used DAC2000 (Crystal 8414 +DF1704+PCM1704) never lock problems....lock problems only with BII & BIII

Do you know if "Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT GB" can fix the lock issue reducing jitter?

JensH 12th March 2012 03:48 PM

Perhaps you should try using the unbuffered 74HCU04. For this kind of analog applications the unbuffered version normally works better. Have you measured the output signals with an oscilloscope? Perhaps the buffered '04 generates additional transitions?

Does the circuit behind this require/tolerate a 0 to 5V signal?

qusp 12th March 2012 04:13 PM

see i'm thinking there has to be something else going on here, i have no lock problems with my buff II, nor ackodac and I never have, yet you have had them consistently, to the point i wouldnt suggest for you to spend more money on the fifo just hoping to solve the problem when you do not really know what the problem is, only the result.

the jitter would have to be incredible to cause such a problem, i think you have some sort of electrical issue in your house that causes the unlock. does it not lock at all, or you have problems with it unlocking during use? dirty power spikes on the mains have been known to cause this sort of issue, as with ground loops.

merlin el mago 12th March 2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensH (Post 2943077)
Perhaps you should try using the unbuffered 74HCU04. For this kind of analog applications the unbuffered version normally works better. Have you measured the output signals with an oscilloscope? Perhaps the buffered '04 generates additional transitions?

Does the circuit behind this require/tolerate a 0 to 5V signal?

First of all I don't be sure if I can use 74HC04N instead 74HCU04 for the attached schematic both voltage range 2V-6V

I don't know, the circuit behind is the Buffalo III.

Ken Newton 12th March 2012 09:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Thorsten Loesch, for one, doesn't much care for this type of circuit at the S/PDIF input. I seem to recall him writing about how the output being coupled back to the input sends interference back up the S/PDIF line.

Have you tested the reciever for lock robustness with the logic inverters out of circuit?