buffer SPDIF input stage for ESS9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dropouts with SPDIF with ES9018 can (my opinion based on experience) be caused by register programming (not optional) of the ES9018,
or inadequate PSU / mains noise.

I do not have any problems at all even if I only use a digital pulse transformer directly connected to the ES9018 without any other components - except the 75 ohm termination resistor.

Your problem could be as simple as you are using SPDIF and have PCM word clock, PCM bit clock or PCM data connected and receiving ...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Dropouts with SPDIF with ES9018 can (my opinion based on experience) be caused by register programming (not optional) of the ES9018,
or inadequate PSU / mains noise.Can be fixed the register programming? I think not inadequate PSU / mains noise: I use R-Core tx + Salas BiB regulator 5,25Vout 681mA, TP recommend 5,25V 490mA

I do not have any problems at all even if I only use a digital pulse transformer directly connected to the ES9018 without any other components - except the 75 ohm termination resistor.

Your problem could be as simple as you are using SPDIF and have PCM word clock, PCM bit clock or PCM data connected and receiving ... Could you elaborate and tell me how can solve/fix the isue?

Answered in red.

BII DIP switch settings are:

SW1
1,2,3 OFF
4 ON
5,6,7,8 OFF

SW2
1 ON
2,3,4,5,6,7 OFF
8 ON

Could you elaborate and tell me how can solve/fix the isue?

BII DIP switch settings are:

SW1
1,2,3 OFF
4 ON
5,6,7,8 OFF

SW2
1 ON
2,3,4,5,6,7 OFF
8 ON

I have no BII competence in respect of switch settings or programming.
If you are running both SPDIF and PCM signals simultaneously to the ES9018 and that is the problem - there is maybe only two ways to cure this.
1. Disconnect the PCM signals when using SPDIF.
2. Change the programming for the ES9018 (I cannot help with this).
For option 2 you could contact the vendor of you DAC.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You could try to modify it as I suggested in post #15. The impedance is correct for SPDIF.
For AES/EBU you would need a higher impedance (110ohm).
As I wrote, the modification will give you twice as much signal. And that is at the buffer input, so it will make the buffer less sensitive to noise. The output will still be from 0 to the supply voltage (5V in this case).

Thank you stormsonic, now I see is for AES/EBU balanced signal not for S/PDIF signal, also I take note to use U = unbuffered version.

Jocko's input was designed for the CS8412 / 8414. Those devices have a balanced SPDIF input into the RS422 receiver in the device.

RXP (Pin 9)

RXN (Pin 10)

The component values are calculated exactly for this application, too.

As an aside, I have tried it out on a WM8804 receiver (unbalanced SPDIF input) and it works, but I know it wasn't optimised.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You could try to modify it as I suggested in post #15. The impedance is correct for SPDIF.
For AES/EBU you would need a higher impedance (110ohm).
As I wrote, the modification will give you twice as much signal. And that is at the buffer input, so it will make the buffer less sensitive to noise. The output will still be from 0 to the supply voltage (5V in this case).

Jocko's input was designed for the CS8412 / 8414. Those devices have a balanced SPDIF input into the RS422 receiver in the device.

RXP (Pin 9)

RXN (Pin 10)

The component values are calculated exactly for this application, too.

As an aside, I have tried it out on a WM8804 receiver (unbalanced SPDIF input) and it works, but I know it wasn't optimised.

Thank you guys:)

Reviving this thread because I was having dropout issues on a ES9018K2M-based prototype. In my case, the primary and possibly only antagonist was electromagnetic interference. Since using shielded cable for the 4" connection from the optical SPDIF receiver and the chip inputs and putting the thing in a proper enclosure, I haven't experienced any dropouts--and that's testing with a mains-powered drill about an inch from the enclosure.

I need to do more thorough testing to see if it completely resolves the issue, but I thought I would mention it ASAP in case it helps someone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.