Bass Harmonic Generator? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Harmonic Generator?

Hi guys, not entirely sure that this is the correct section (I usually hang around the speakers section), but here goes...

I've seen these bass harmonic generators, where a, say, 50Hz note is made into 100, 150, 200Hz, etc, giving the impression of a much deeper bass response than the system actually has.
My old mobile phone had one (they called it MegaBass ), and it sounded like it might actually be putting a little LF out.

I was wondering if there's a chip or circuit board available to consumers that does the same thing, preferably available to the UK (I don't mind importing stuff, but it can get expensive).

The use will be a reasonably small portable boombox (if I get around to making one), where the tradeoff is bass extension or battery life. I'd rather head towards battery life by using a couple of high efficiency midbasses, but I understand that I won't get much below 100Hz.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 9th March 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You mean a phase vocoder or TDHS? Are you sure it's not just peaking EQ or a low shelf for a bass boost?
Old 9th March 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default MaxxBass

If you could maybe adapt a PC or MAC laptop as a portable source connected to your boombox, then here is a software plugin that appears to be what you are looking for.

MaxxBass - Bass Enhancer Plugin | Waves

It also appears that the algorithm is available for commercial license on a DSP chip. You might persuade them to send you a single sample or, better yet, a reference design board though. Worth an attempt.

TDL Technology used to offer their model 907 external processor box based upon the MaxxBass technology - featured in the November 2004 issue of AudioXpress.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 9th March 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!