Metrum Octave Dac - What are the Chips used - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 08:52 AM   #51
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
...indeed I wouldnt touch it, its a novel idea, pieter clearly enjoys his but you wouldnt catch me 1. buying a commercial dac at all until I retire from DIY perhaps or 2. going anywhere near this one.
That's the point (for me).
I have always been reluctant with NOS dacs because of the bad measurements, as pointed out above, and I have never been impressed by the TDA1543/1541 school of DIY NOS dacs sound wise.
Until I auditioned the Octave, actually by chance, in my system (which is revealing in character because I like to hear details as much as possible).
When (as much as possible) analog like reproduction and transparency is what you're after, this dac is very much worth a listen.
I did, and was not bothered by technichal issues at all.
When you know beforehand that it is not for you for whatever reason, that's up to you. I have learnt a bit of open minded-ness in my audio life
Old 29th March 2012, 11:52 AM   #52
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

never going to happen, the utterly proprietary nature of everything about it from the silly dac chip, not handling DSD, single ended?, no output filter, tweak proof 6 layer PCB and somewhat crappy chassis turns me off, it also wouldnt work with my system anyway which is multichannel for digital XO and needs i2s input. analogue like and transparency are 2 different attributes? sounding totally unlike my 4 channel ESS with discrete NTD1 (mid-bass) and sen/cen jfet IV (tweeters) which both sound fantastic and are already beyond what any speaker can reproduce; if true cannot mean transparency

what good is an open mind if the unit is a closed book?

Last edited by qusp; 29th March 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 29th March 2012, 03:41 PM   #53

qusp,
IMHO the number of your posts (in general) is inversely proportional to the value of it's content.
It seems you already know everything.... why bother when it's not your cup of tea?
Old 29th March 2012, 04:32 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

pot kettle Pieter; pot kettle.

far from knowing everything, I just know everything that I want for the foreseeable future and have a pretty good idea by now of what I like and I dislike audiophoolish descriptions like 'analogue' as a descriptive term, what does that even mean? sounding like analogue? what does analogue sound like? its like 'tubie' sounding like a tube, what does a tube sound like? transparency to describe something, when as far as that goes any mid-fi dac should be pretty transparent to the point of outperforming everything after it. I do still believe there can be flavor, but we are now at the point that you pretty much have to degrade performance in a particular way to get it

the only part of my post that I have not already said in this thread are the description of my current system, which should make it obvious even without my opinion on the dac chip that buying a dac like this would be idiotic. then comment on the crappy chassis and i dont think there is any doubt about that at this price point, doesnt have to be ott but you can get nicer chassis for considerably under $100 in lowish quantities. It looks like and probably is a hammond prototyping case. OK for DIY but its not DIY

is my system the be all and end all? nope, nowhere near it, does it outperform the metrum? yes I believe it does and pretty handily. it certainly has more to offer a digital XO as well as being far more flexible, i need more I/O than the metrum offers even if it wasnt totally not to my taste or needs otherwise.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:04 PM   #55
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is my system the be all and end all? nope, nowhere near it, does it outperform the metrum? yes I believe it does and pretty handily.
As long as that word "believe" cannot be changed to "know" because of not auditioning the Octave, you actually know nothing.

This thread and the positive reviews have actually gotten me very interested in checking this Octave out. How and when I don't know yet, but I'll report back.

Last edited by jitter; 29th March 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:26 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

well I used believe specifically for that purpose, my dac and ancillaries outperform it easily if the measurements published are whats in question, but i used the word believe because i was taking subjectivity into account. going by experience of dacs of this type i wouldnt like the sound either but i havent heard it so.. but given other factors it could never be useful to me anyway

funnily enough I actually recommended it to a couple of people a few months ago so i might hear it just to satisfy curiosity.

Last edited by qusp; 29th March 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:34 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
I dislike audiophoolish descriptions like 'analogue' as a descriptive term, what does that even mean? sounding like analogue? what does analogue sound like?
'Analog' as a descriptive term works pretty well for me - it means lacking the glare or hash in the HF so common in digital. It means having a high degree of mid-range clarity. It means dynamic, as opposed to compressed like plenty of S-D DACs sound.

Anyway that's my take on the word.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
'Analog' as a descriptive term works pretty well for me - it means lacking the glare or hash in the HF so common in digital. It means having a high degree of mid-range clarity. It means dynamic, as opposed to compressed like plenty of S-D DACs sound.

Anyway that's my take on the word.
Abraxalito,
You pretty well describe the sound of the Octave dac as I perceive it.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:45 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

DAC's don't "compress". CD's might be compressed (more ore less), but a DAC is not capable of that feat.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:13 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I wasn't talking about DACs compressing, I was talking about DACs sounding compressed. S-D DACs do sound compressed - noise modulation I believe to be the reason.

Hide this!Advertise here!